Husky 338 or Stihl 200T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realize you are only concerned about my safety. This wont be the first time Ive run a top handled saw. I realize running a saw one handed is dangerous. But are you telling me that running one with your feet planted firmly on the ground is more dangerous then running one hanging from a rope or spiked into a tree?

You need not worry about me, Ill be fine.

CaseyForrest said:
I realize you are only concerned about my safety. This wont be the first time Ive run a top handled saw. I realize running a saw one handed is dangerous. But are you telling me that running one with your feet planted firmly on the ground is more dangerous then running one hanging from a rope or spiked into a tree?

You need not worry about me, Ill be fine.
Casey,
Most cases Cutting in a tree you try to cut below you and or beside you.
never moving with the saw running.
On the ground cutting is just as dangerous sometimes more so. Because of the warm fuzzy feeling of having both feet on the ground.
Before you take a step put the brake on. try not to pull on the branches with one hand and cut with the other.
Be safe have fun.

Stumper said:
Casey, Ignore Dan. Get 2 more 200Ts and learn to juggle them at wide open throttle with your bare feet.

:ices_rofl:

Guess I better sell mine too!

Hey Treeco - sure, it's more dangerous, and sure we need to make sure the newbies don't get mislead into thinking they are not, but here is a way of saying that without the angst...

The MS200T is not sold as a "one handed saw" It says clearly on the saw and in the user manual not to use it that way. It also states "in tree use only". We all know people do use them one handed and on the ground... but I often use mine two handed, particularly on the ground for the reasons Manual (the AS member, not "user manual!) stated.

Want to see dangerous - ever watched a chainsaw carver work?

Last edited:
TreeCo said:
I'm telling you that sometimes, although rarely, body positioning in the tree leaves a climber little choice.

One handing a chainsaw on the ground is exposing yourself to avoidable danger.

It's just plain stupid!

I'm not worried about you Casey. You are the know it all type who will only learn when you get your first bad chainsaw cut.

The fact is you are making foolish remarks in a public forum while pretending to know about chainsaw use. Uninformed readers may think you know what you are talking about but obviously you don't.

Have you ever got tripped up while limbing? All experienced chainsaw users have. Have you considered what happens if you get tripped up holding a running chainsaw in one hand? Climbers usually aren't walking around running a chainsaw with one hand, they are tied in and stationary.

Well, while I do agree, running saw one handed is more dangerous than having two hands on the saw, I am not advocating it, as you would appear to be saying. Heck, I wouldnt have said it at all if YOU hadnt asked.

DISCLAIMER>>>>>>>
DO NOT use your saw one handed. I am knowingly and willingly going to use mine as I see fit.

Where do you get off accusing me of being the know it all type? This isnt Sap you are talking to. Im pretty sure I have said MANY times here I didnt know something, hence I ask a question.

Get off your high horse and come down to reality.

Climbing a tree is exposing yourself to avoidable danger. Starting your saw exposes you to tearing ligaments in your shoulder...Everything is dangerous, the only thing we can do is prepare ourselves as much as possible to avoid getting hurt.

Get over it, its not an issue with me, it shouldnt be with you.

manual said:
Casey,
Most cases Cutting in a tree you try to cut below you and or beside you.
never moving with the saw running.
On the ground cutting is just as dangerous sometimes more so. Because of the warm fuzzy feeling of having both feet on the ground.
Before you take a step put the brake on. try not to pull on the branches with one hand and cut with the other.
Be safe have fun.

Good post.

Yeah, Im not new to the use of a saw. Its habit for me to always engage the chain brake if I am going to move with the saw running, even more-so when there are others around me.

I just didnt need the lecture from Tree. Acting like his crap doesnt smell as bad as anyone elses.

TreeCo said:
Well knock yourself out, dude!

Like I said earlier, you are the know it all type who will just have to learn the hard way. One hand limb on the ground until the cow's come home. Stupid is as stupid does.

Good, end of discussion.

Lakeside53 said:
:ices_rofl:

Guess I better sell mine too!

Hey Treeco - sure, it's more dangerous, and sure we need to make sure the newbies don't get mislead into thinking they are not, but here is a way of saying that without the angst...

The MS200T is not sold as a "one handed saw" It says clearly on the saw and in the user manual not to use it that way. It also states "in tree use only". We all know people do use them one handed and on the ground... but I often use mine two handed, particularly on the ground for the reasons Manual (the AS member, not "user manual!) stated.

Want to see dangerous - ever watched a chainsaw carver work?
Hey!!!! Oh ya, you are right!
Mark

Freakingstang said:
blah, i carve and trim one handed with my new 660! :laugh:
Yea and most likely you will have to learn how to pull start it that way afterwards.:hmm3grin2orange:

Casey,
I think is trying to stress to you how carefull you can never be.
He is Not looking to fight with you.

Warning someone about a legitimate safety concern is a decent thing to do. Maybe even a second time, to emphasize the importance of heeding a warning. But beyond that, it starts to get silly - adults who are not your employees are free to make their own informed choices in how they wish to use their tools.

If you've said it once or twice, that's quite enough.

manual said:
Casey,
I think is trying to stress to you how carefull you can never be.
He is Not looking to fight with you.

Manual, after the PMs I received from him, he is only attempting to stir the pot.

I'm glad you are staying objective though.

Manual, assuming you are correct, Ill give him the benefit of the doubt, and say this.....

I am well aware of safety. I am the one at work CONSTANTLY reminding my co-workers about their PPE. So much I annoy them. Safety is not something I take lightly. I work in a dangerous atmosphere everyday, where less than one minute in a manhole with the right percentage LEL, and you are done. Or in a piece of equipment, where if you are not 100% aware of who and whats around you means someone gets dead, right now.

Thanks Tree, for your concern, but you need not lecture me, as I have been accident free in all aspects of my life and job for over 10 years. I realize accidents can happen anytime, but I lessen the chance by taking my time, and paying attention to whats going on around me.

TreeCo said:
Don't you feel like a hypocrite warning your co-workers about their PPE yet insisting that YOU can safely limb trees one handed with a ms200 on the ground?

Is there something that makes you exempt from proper use of a chainsaw?

Would you let your co-workers use chainsaws one handed to limb trees?

I'm not lecturing you. I'm presenting my argument against improper chainsaw usage and you are presenting your argument for improper chainsaw use.

I realize I'm not going to change your mind but our discussion may well be educational for readers that don't know just how lame the argument is for one handed chainsaw use on the ground.

I'll find those pics. Show them to your wife and see how she feels as she reads this thread.

Manual...I told ya.

Get over it, I am in no way advocating anyone else use a saw one handed. If you would **** about it, anyone new to top handled saw wouldn't keep seeing this pop up to the top.

I expect, however, that you will NEVER use a top handle saw with less than two hands again. There is no argument it is unsafe.

Drop it, if you concede you will never change my mind, then there is no more discussion.

Cripes already. There is a fine line between being safe and not being safe. We all know our own limits and we do what we feel is safe based on past experiences in certain situations. Saying that, and since you have never, ever, seen me run a saw, gives you no right to lecture me on proper saw technique. When you read about me in the paper, then you can say I told you so. Otherwise drop it.

If you bring this back to the top again, I will report you for harassing me, because thats all you are doing now.

Tree,
People drink and drive
some bikers don't wear helments
what realy gets me is old ladies crossing the street, when it says do not cross.
I think you made your point. Let it go.
Safty is every bodys concern. That we can all agree on.

Dang Tree,
Good thing I just woke or I would of had nightmares.
As soon as I looked at that picture it made me rub my eye.
Top handle or not makes a guy think.

P.S.
By the way is that a picture of you.

Latest posts

Back