Husky 346xp or Stihl ms 260 I'm ready to buy now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just be aware that the 346xpg doesn't have heated carbs on all markets, so if you want that, you better check if it has it where you live.

Yes. I just recently witnessed this to be true. I even pointed out to the DEALER that this was the case on his 346XPG's and he was shocked and frustrated that Husqvarna would leave out such an important cold weather feature.

BTW, the 346 is an overall very good saw, and specifically it's an excellent performer. I have a bunch, & use them all the time. Chronic air filter leakage at the mounting location is my only major gripe.

I was at the Northern Tools retail store, and they had several 346s NIB, and I swear that they were saying "Chris, buy me, buy me now."

Congrats on your choice! Post an update once you get to run it.

Aw ra best!~~~Chris J.

SawTroll said:
Heated handles sure are very nice, but they don't have anything to do with vibration dampening. Maybe they make you feel less vibe though, when the hands are cold and wet - never thought of that before...

Over here there classes as "optional safety feature" all our new government safety stuff is saying that we should get heated handles to reduce hand arm vibration syndrome.

My understanding is that you do feel less vibration. It might also have something to do with that when you have went cold hands the handles are warm keeping the blood near the surface and things like that, plus your nerves will be regestering this is hot rather than this is vibrating.

SawTroll said:
At the same time the rated max power output was changed from 3.4 to 3.2 bhp.
Over here they have the new bore acc. to catalog, but power is rated at 3.5 hp (equals 3.4bhp), as it was before the change.
Probably different mufflers and porting between US and GE made Stihls, as with the 361?

No.... the power changed from 3.4 to 3.2 when they original MS260 came out. The printed rating hasn't been changed with the larger bore, but the saw sure works better (hey, it now has two carb screws). The porting is the same between your version and ours (only one cylinder).

BTW, I'd like to blame California (just to be different). The CA regulations are what drives the manufacters to make the particularly tough changes, not the federal guidelines. The CAT mufflers on the blowers was because of CA. I get abut 300-400 rpm drop between a CAT and non-cat muffler on a BR420. Doen't sound like much, but this is at max torque (around 7000rpm) and it's significant. Sure do need those spark screens with CAT mufflers - they spit out sparks like crazy. It's not practical to make a different model for CA, so we all "suffer", Washington State is adopting CA emission regulations in a year or so.

Newfie said:
Yeah voulmes of BS. Many of us have spent years here at AS and such polls come and go like dirty socks. This poll seems to have had an unprecedented response as compared to previous incarnations. 390 voters? I doubt it. Something stinks about those numbers. Someone is pulling our leg.

I doubt there are even 390 "pros" lurking here never mind voting in a poll.

Be careful what you read in to numbers.
I wonder if you would be complaining if husky or any other brand was leading the poll. Any STIHL guy knows we don't have to rig the poll. We just sit back and laugh at anyone who makes excuses for the numbers. I started out husky and switched to STIHL. I cut many o trees with huskies when I made the switch I never looked back.

lumberjach said:
I wonder if you would be complaining if husky or any other brand was leading the poll. Any STIHL guy knows we don't have to rig the poll. We just sit back and laugh at anyone who makes excuses for the numbers. I started out husky and switched to STIHL. I cut many o trees with huskies when I made the switch I never looked back.
You should understand, lumberjach, that saw preferences are most often dependant on dealer quality, and this is regional. In my area, there are as many Huskys as Stihls. Saying that either one isn't a top-notch product is fool-hardy. I've run Dolmar, Stihl and Husky, and I like the power of the Dolmars I had the best, but the air filtration, anti-vibe, and balance of the Husky's was tops. The Stihls seemed to have a hotter spark. They're all three good brands of saw though.

I agree with the first part, but "a hotter spark", what does this mean how do you test this, with your toung?

The speed in which you have to turn the saw and the brightness of the spark when, while having the plug removed and resting against the cylinder head, cranking the saw.

I just want to step in the mud pit for a minute so that a misconception can be clarified. Modified saws are not all about racing. It has been stated that by modifying a saw you will cook it sooner. True, if you are felling with a full blown race saw. How ever if you have nothing more done than have the silly epa saw opened back up then it will not only out perform a stock saw but it will last longer. By allowing the saw to breath easier you move more heat away from the engine. Heat is the #1 enemy of any engine. Also just becasue you build HP does not mean you have to burn the saw down. I have built several saws upon request that the torque was increased and the RPM was held to the original levels by hydrolocking the piston. when you do this you will get better lubrication of the piston and cylinder walls. I have torn down one of the MS460's we Hydrolocked after 400 hrs. of hard use and the skirts still had the original grooves in tact. Modifying is not all about RPM (although it can be :p ) it is about hand fitting and making the best it can be. I know people who open computers up and add a stick of RAM for more performance or a bigger fan to help cool the original computer down. Same thing with saws. ;)

Oh ok, sorry bout that spacemule, I just thought that maybe your avitar was a picture after you tested the spark on your saw.
:laugh: :laugh:

I got a saw from a logger that went in the old school. He has used saws for over 45 years.
He has never sat a saw down that was really hot, IF he had to run it hot he simply let it run on half speed without load a few minuets, until it cooled it self before turning it of. He also said that no matter saw or length of bar the today's mufflers will not let them breath easy. He has the seller :p drill a few holes in the muffler, and has done this since his first HVA.
I have 6 saws here of his, not one of them has even the tiniest score in it.
IMO this man knows what he does for a living.
Most saws he used has been Jonsereds.

Now as he is getting old, he just work 5-6 months in the woods :Eye: .
He said he could not work as he used to since the age has left a few reminders.

I just thought this story could enjoy some of you here.

Had nothing but trouble from the two 346 XP's I've used (oiler issues and chain tensioners). Had no problems with the the 260's. Both cut equally as fast when the 346 XP wasn't having an issue with something breaking. The 346 XP is just not a reliable saw. Sent two back to Eltrolux due to the oiler issues and finally had to mill out the oiling port for the oiler with a bridgeport mill because the factory fix was no fix at all.

Just my experience. Will not recommend the 346 XP. Highly recommend the 260.

I have never heard of anyone else that had an oiling issue with a 346 but almost everone that has a 260 pro with an adjustable oiler says it is anemic compared to the non adjustable oiler on the non pro model.

lumberjach said:

Guess you missed my point. Stihl and Husky are both good saws and comparable in quality. I don't care that SOOOO many more people voted Stihl in the poll, my point was I don't think the poll was accurate based on my observations of polls conducted here at AS many times. 390 voters, when most polls would previously struggle to muster a tenth of that in total votes. Just seems odd.

The last thing I would do is run and do something just because everyone else is doing it. I gave up peer pressure in the 8th grade.

In this summer (august) I looked the world championship of logging (I hope that I´m not mistaken) taking place here (Estonia), where mainly were european competitors. Competitions continued three days, we (youngest kids too) looked only the "limbing" of tree imitations. There was practically only Stihl and Husqvarna presented from saws Only one Makita (read Dolmar).
We were so far from sawers (due kids I wasnt going to close to racers) that exact types of saws were undistinguishable, by shape and dimensions there were saws from 40 to 80 cm3, so very different ones. I dont know the exact rules for saws, but there was no visible smoke and smoking saws. By the ear the mufflers may be were modified, but no wild noise was there.
So, interesting, interesting ;)

OT, I have built some 5 PC from components and messed "with jumpers" for speed too :) I know how relatively "useless" in real world is pump up a littlebit PC speed, that is more for gamers, some advantage in video compression too. But Saw isnt sawing 100% of time. More depends from the man who uses saw.

I'm enjoying this thread, but can't help feeling that the Stihl/Husky argument is like agruing about politics and religion ... you can't change someone's mind, you can only reinforce them in the beliefs they held to begin with. :rolleyes:

Lakeside53 said:
I figure a sharp chain has more effect than the muffler mod anyhow, and I keep mine sharp thoughout the day. If the saw isn't big enough for the job then I just reach for the bigger one... By not messing with my saw, I know it will last a long time, and long life is as important to me as a few % cut speed differential.

Anyways, that's a by-the-by. My point is that many people on this site like to winge about the environmental regulations. Have you all forgotten that working people used to be forced to work in and live down wind of polution spewing factories, that half their children died from respiratory disease and that the average life span was 50 years.

You may not agree where the environmental line is drawn but if it was left up to the robber barrons half of us would be worked to death by now. I was breathing the smoke from my 064 today and although I quite like the smell, my wife has a fit when I start it upwind of the house.

I have both, haven't run the 026 since I bought the 346. Smoother, faster, better air filtration. 026 has a little more grunt, but for limbing the 346 is much faster. - Eric

Back