Husky 353 or 346XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the G

G get's you the heated handle for the cold winter weather.

346= Porsche

353= VW

The 353 works reliably, but is a dud in the line up. A 450 will out cut it, let alone the 346 which will leave it in the dust.

This site never seems to be short of exzagerations. I guess newcomers have to adjust.
3.7hp vs 3.3hp. I guess under a microscope the two halves of a split hair
do look pretty far apart.
If a 3lb/hp 346 will leave a 3.3lb/hp 53 'in the dust'. what word phrases can describe the next saw in the line up at 2.75lb/hp, that being the 357? And then the 372xp??? And then...

346= Porsche

353= VW
:agree2:

The 353 works reliably, but is a dud in the line up. A 450 will out cut it, let alone the 346 which will leave it in the dust.

The 353 has two other negatives: First, it comes with the heat generating and power robbing cat muffler, and second, it has the same cylinder as the 350, and therefore it's muffler screw issues. (It usually only happens on those two saws, not the 346, and not the 340/345)

Look at it this way, if you get the 353, you might always wonder if you should have gotten the 346. But if you get the 346, you'll never think about the 353 ever again.

Hmmmmmmm......

Actually, it is the US/EPA 350s that has the 353 cylinder, but with a dished piston.

...and my 353 has the same muffler bracket as the 346xp had at the time....:confused:

Last edited:
This site never seems to be short of exzagerations. I guess newcomers have to adjust.
3.7hp vs 3.3hp. I guess under a microscope the two halves of a split hair
do look pretty far apart.
If a 3lb/hp 346 will leave a 3.3lb/hp 53 'in the dust'. what word phrases can describe the next saw in the line up at 2.75lb/hp, that being the 357? And then the 372xp??? And then...

Exaggerations? Perhaps.

The site is also never short of people who give opinions on saws that they have never run.

They rely not on actual experience, but on erroneous conclusions drawn from questionable catelog specs and fiddling with a calculator. It's amusing how they consider themselves "informed" with so little real world knowledge. Kind of like Consumer Reports, a publication written by people who know little, for people who know less.

The specs do not show broadness of power curve. They don't show quickness of acceleration. They don't show the significant difference in porting between the 346 and 353. Husky's specs do not show a loss of power with the addition of a cat muffler, which is not possible.

You ought to put your calculator down and pick up the saws in question here and see for yourself.

Exaggerations? Perhaps.

The site is also never short of people who give opinions on saws that they have never run.

They rely not on actual experience, but on erroneous conclusions drawn from questionable catelog specs and fiddling with a calculator. It's amusing how they consider themselves "informed" with so little real world knowledge. Kind of like Consumer Reports, a publication written by people who know little, for people who know less.

The specs do not show broadness of power curve. They don't show quickness of acceleration. They don't show the significant difference in porting between the 346 and 353. Husky's specs do not show a loss of power with the addition of a cat muffler, which is not possible.

You ought to put your calculator down and pick up the saws in question here and see for yourself.

Relax Spike:givebeer:
BTW I have run a pre-green cap 353, and it was not a 'Dud'.
Let me ask you this-If you muf modded both saws, and tuned them to their best, then set them into, lets say, a 16" round..would you have your second cut done with the 346 before the 353 finished the first? Now that's what I would call 'leaving it in the dust'. No I haven't run a 346, but I have run a 357xp, and I beleive that will out cut a 346, will it not? Judging by your amount of posts, I think you are just so used to the exzagerations that you aren't aware of how it might come across to people who are new to saws and/or this site.:)

The 346XP NE has a rev-limited ignition module set to 14,100 RPM. The original 346XP's had non-limited ignition modules.

So why does Husky spec say max=14,700 for the NE? Whatever it is, 14-something is a "screamer" by any definition.

Last edited:
So why does Husky spec say max=14,700 for the NE? Whatever it is, 14-something is a "screamer" by any definition.

That was WOT for the original version. You would have to ask someone at Husqvarna why they did not proof read their specs. I own a NE and I would like to get another one to stash along side the 372XPW I have sitting in the box. My 372XP and my 359 have been ported by EHP and they do sing. When I have to hump a saw around on the steep hillside on the back of my property I just grab the 346XP NE.

The 346XP NE has a rev-limited ignition module set to 14,100 RPM. The original 346XP's had non-limited ignition modules.

Where is Saw Troll? This is his department. :D

Was asleep at that time, it was about 4 am here.

You are right, or maybe the limiter is at 14200 - but recommended max is 14100 anyway........:agree2:

Last edited:
They say it makes a big difference. It is supposed to be very beneficial to those who suffer with Reynaud's syndrome (white finger disease) who cut in cold weather.

It is a vey nice (and common) feature around here - it sure makes a difference........:clap: :clap:

Most of our saws have them - the ol' Jonsereds and the small 339xp is the only exceptions.

They forgot to change it on the web-sites initially - I streightened them up here, but don't know if it has been corrected on all the national sites.....:censored:

346xp/xpg

Relax Spike:givebeer:
BTW I have run a pre-green cap 353, and it was not a 'Dud'.
Let me ask you this-If you muf modded both saws, and tuned them to their best, then set them into, lets say, a 16" round..would you have your second cut done with the 346 before the 353 finished the first? Now that's what I would call 'leaving it in the dust'. No I haven't run a 346, but I have run a 357xp, and I beleive that will out cut a 346, will it not? Judging by your amount of posts, I think you are just so used to the exzagerations that you aren't aware of how it might come across to people who are new to saws and/or this site.:)

Then there would be some of us that own more than one or two, I bought 12 of the 346s all modded and 4 with heated handles. I can tell you this, they will leave the 353 in the dust. The heated handles will save you from having numb fingers in the winter.

Kind of like Consumer Reports, a publication written by people who know little, for people who know less.

:clap: :clap:

Exactly!!! :agree2:

The difference between the models feels like it is more than the specs indicate, also when both are without cat mufflers.

Last edited:
hi everyone, long time lurker here.

wanted to know if anyone knows if thesaw for sale at amicks.com is the ne version of the 346xp or the old version?

Back