Husky 371xp & 262xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tapper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My brother passed and left me these two saws. Guessing they're 20+ years old. Haven't tried to start yet. Are they worth having someone look at/ selling? I have a stihl which is more than adequate for my firewood needs. Any advice would be appreciated. He use to talk about these saws like they were God's greatest gifts to woodsmen. Thanks

My brother passed and left me these two saws. Guessing they're 20+ years old. Haven't tried to start yet. Are they worth having someone look at/ selling? I have a stihl which is more than adequate for my firewood needs. Any advice would be appreciated. He use to talk about these saws like they were God's greatest gifts to woodsmen. Thanks
We need pictures. And yes.

Sorry for your loss, Both are good Husqvarna saws, the 262xp is very sought after and the 371xp is the early model of the 372xp that is one of the best husky's made. If in good shape they will bring good money, you could also run them and see if you take a liking to them.

My condolences to you and your family.

In regards to the saws, how were they stored and for how long? Reason I ask, if it was a prolonged period with ethanol content fuel, they may require some fuel system and carb work to get into peak running condition. Give them a try, nothing to lose.

Take Care

I tried to start the saws yesterday. The 262's piston is frozen but the crankshaft moves a little. The 371 wouldn't start but did pop once. Neither saw had been stored with fuel in it. As far as I can tell, no parts are missing on either saw. I don't think I'd use them much if I had them repaired. Should I just list them for sale under Trading Post? Thanks again.

I tried to start the saws yesterday. The 262's piston is frozen but the crankshaft moves a little. The 371 wouldn't start but did pop once. Neither saw had been stored with fuel in it. As far as I can tell, no parts are missing on either saw. I don't think I'd use them much if I had them repaired. Should I just list them for sale under Trading Post? Thanks again.
PM sent to you

Good morning, snow day here. In the garage tinkering and browsing technical threads here. What an awesome resource available for the amateur user.

371xp- pulled the covers, bar and chain, spark plug and air filter. No obvious reasons the saw won't start. Didn't resort to using ether to start - not sure if it could damage saw. Spark plug looks new and it seems like it fired once when I tried to start it over the weekend. Saw has good compression as it increases until released. What is the best way to troubleshoot the carburetor/fuel system?

262xp- pulled the covers, bar and chain, spark plug and air filter also. The piston doesn't move but I can still rotate the crankshaft a degree or two. I'm guessing that the rings are frozen to the cylinder wall but the bearings aren't frozen. I put some two cycle oil in to see if it might free up. Would penetrating oil be worth a try? Are the cylinder and piston aluminum?

Thanks.

Good morning, snow day here. In the garage tinkering and browsing technical threads here. What an awesome resource available for the amateur user.

371xp- pulled the covers, bar and chain, spark plug and air filter. No obvious reasons the saw won't start. Didn't resort to using ether to start - not sure if it could damage saw. Spark plug looks new and it seems like it fired once when I tried to start it over the weekend. Saw has good compression as it increases until released. What is the best way to troubleshoot the carburetor/fuel system?

262xp- pulled the covers, bar and chain, spark plug and air filter also. The piston doesn't move but I can still rotate the crankshaft a degree or two. I'm guessing that the rings are frozen to the cylinder wall but the bearings aren't frozen. I put some two cycle oil in to see if it might free up. Would penetrating oil be worth a try? Are the cylinder and piston aluminum?

Thanks.
On the 371 is plug wet? You could have a bad impulse line, fuel line, filter or need a carb kit. Carb diaphragm may need replacing (carb is an easy rebuild). Is spark nice and blue? On 262, have you ruled out rewind starter problem. Had a gentleman bring me a 372 and rewind was rope jammed, he thought it was seized.

Thanks Duce. Plug is dry on 371. I'll check spark and will move next to fuel filter/fuel line. On 262, I removed the starter. The piston is not moving in the cylinder. I didn't want to apply to much torque to the crankshaft for fear of damaging the rod or bearings. Would penetrating oil be worth a shot?

Back