Husky-misleading marketers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The following quote was made by some one in the industry. I find it pretty interesting because of the things I have noticed husky has done in the past like use different rating sytems for hp to make there saw look btter and stacked deck trimmer testing.I believe that walt galer and dagger have eluded to things less than honest that husky has done also. Is this a pattern?

I've started calling those kind of things, "The Husky Hustle". In honor of Husqvarna, who has pulled off many 'mistakes' in their sale lit, like Trimmer weights (false) that don't include the shield, and line head. Saw weights (false) like the 372, WITHOUT the clutch cover, the bucking spike, AND the AV spring at the spike.

There must be some truth to it, as some of these saws will simply not make advertised weight without leaving something essential off of them.

Husky, though, is not the only one doing it.

People just have to learn not to believe these spec sheets when it comes to H.P. and weight.

I don't want to start a war or tick saw suppliers off, but I could name several discrepencies between what is printed and how the products actually perform one vs the other.

In particular, there are two highly regarded 50cc class saws that in fact are not standouts in performance vs price vs value. Some products gain reputations that they just do not measure up to.

Last edited:
well, i wondered how they came up with that wt... had a husky mechanic once tell me [he thot they fudged a little on that wt... i guess u was rite, chainsaw mechanic whom, i will not name.:)

Well I guess if someone is dumb enough to buy a saw because of a spec sheet then they deserve what they get. It should be a guideline only.

Thats why actually holding a saw and using one are the only true ways to determine if a saw is the one for you.

Unnamed, Unspecified, unmentionable...

It seems a saw mechanic, who shall remain unnamed, told me a story about an unspecified manufacturer, whose 40-60cc saws may or may not have met advertised weight, power or some other possibly more secret feature. Who am I (no name given) to believe (or not believe) for my dream saw information? I still mean to buy the 260, regardless of all the unfounded, unspecified, unmade accusations. Signed, someone else.

Originally posted by HUSKYMAN
Well I guess if someone is dumb enough to buy a saw because of a spec sheet then they deserve what they get. It should be a guideline only.

Thats why actually holding a saw and using one are the only true ways to determine if a saw is the one for you.

While I fully believe this, I cannot find a dealer who will let me test drive any saw. Most of the time a saws performance is learned from using a coworkers or friends saw!

You are right. You might want to try leaving a deposit, or getting a 3 day return deal. A dealer here let my buddy use an 046, but his old man had bought $1000's of dollars worth of saws from that dealer.

Borrowing a buddies saw isnt so bad though:cool:

well said clem . well enough that it deserves an answer....
the mechanic would not appreciate my
using his name in this type discussion.
he carries credibility here tho, and he made the comment ,in answer to a question.....we both chuckled about it as its a fairly common practice.
fudging wt. specs on that particular saw ,is like secretariate owner[race horse] fudging about his times in belmont.won by over 20 lengths over the great horse sham . a horse that will never be remembered for his greatness because he came along the same yr secretariate did.
in short any misrepresentation ,carries with it an unavoidable loss of credibility.
ps aint it great that we can disaggree with out worrying about a knock at our door at midnite.worth fighting for i think. i ll consider your words.
i consider that one of the best saws out there. the minds that chose to misrepresent or fudge the wt . made an common error. only emphasised more because of the quality of the saw itself.
any misrepresentation [lie] carries with it ,its on punishment .... in lost credibility.
i speak from experience. but i try to stay with the truth as best i can.
got a ways to go probabely still ,i guess.

sorry fellas my post scipt,, got inserted,, the middle of my post. tm
now,, to go retrieve my wrecked car. yall have a good day.u to clem.:)

FWIW the only saw I have ever weighed was a stihl 460. It weighed 1/10 a pound less than advertised on a certified scale. This was with all the equipment except the bar. Looks like stihl is honest in the weight department.

Come on guys. the usual suspects are gone. Lets get a good
thread going.

Well I guess if someone is dumb enough to buy a saw because of a spec sheet then they deserve what they get.
It seems as though the deserve a husky then.

Tony snyder, What saw brand are you reffering to.

Hi Ben,
This tactic is so prevalent amongst all of the manufacturers that it almost isn`t even note worthy. You have both an 044 and a 372. Both have similar listed weights. Are you saying that the weight and performance of these saws aren`t comparable? I think Stihl, in my experience, is just as guilty as Husky or anyone else in this regard. Like a famous man who I shall not name once said, " If someone is dumb enough to buy a saw because of a spec sheet then they deserve what they get. It should be a guideline only."

Clem,
Go ahead and buy your dream saw the ms260, it`s not one of the saws that Tony speaks of. It takes splitting hairs to decide whether this saw or the 346xp is best but the 260/026 and 346 have a track record of boatloads satisfied users vs the unnamed ***(unspecified color) saws that I believe are being alluded to.

There are still dealers in some areas who will let you demo a saw. Sometimes they charge a little more than the other dealers but somehow they must recoup the loss they experience when they take a new saw from inventory for a demo and the prospective client doesn`t buy it, but now the saw is no longer saleable as "new". I have found these same dealers to often be the ones who provide the best service because they understand "total value". BTW, Stihl even sells some models of saw as clearly marked "demos" but how many Stihl dealers will have one they will let you try out?

Russ

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems both manufactures are simular.

saw_______advertised weight___Madsen's weight
Stihl 044_______13.5____________14.5
Husky 372______13.4____________14.75

The Husky on their web page does say "Weight without cutting equipment" That means anything they deem not cutting equipment is not put on. While not exactly truthfull they did caviat that. Stihl's site just gives a weight with no mention of what is included.

Weights for years have been listed in sales lit as, WITH the chain brake/clutch cover.

That made almost any comparison if done, easy and equal, as the 'cutting attachment' would then be the only variable.

I weighed my 372, and only when the cover, spike, and av mount were removed would it "make" advertised weight.

So, if a fair comparison is made, let all the companies do it the same.
We don't vote in politicans, choose doctors, and use motor oils based upon someones "calculated mistakes".

If I were going to buy a saw, thought (not felt) that both were equal, were close in price, and I could depend on the daeler who sold them, but had trouble deciding which to buy, I could be swayed by the weight advertised.

Like Paul Harvey says, "And now for the rest of the story".
" the tv show Dragnet, where Joe would say, "Just the facts...".

This is precisely a reason that Dolmar with their new saw line coming out in the fall will kick the ever lovin' snot out of both Stihl and Husqvarna, cube for kilo. They aint the only game in town!

Go Dolmar. Rah Rah Rah!

Want evidence? Seth likes his Dolmar pretty well, don't he?

Candice
"no longer content to side with previous party line affiliations"

i think ill go with what husky said . handle a saw a bit . u know if it fits your hand. i can tell u now the 372 gonna feel pretty good unless u are less than average strength. so will the 036 . these are the 2 i know. i also own an old partner that feels as good to this saw man as any newer saw. somebody made a coment that some saw makers got a lot of ideas from that old partner 5000. i believe it.
by the way . retrieved my car ,fixable ...
my 295 saw and my predetor getter....
very pleased considering the predetor piece has allowed me the security of knowing i had an answer without anybody[family and friends]ever knowing it. i pray i never have to use it, for its purpose...tired ,a long day.:)

That`s great news Tony! Glad to hear that everything is intact and your car is fixable.

Russ

I agree it is better to go by the feel and balence of a saw then what the manufacture or scale says.

This is precisely a reason that Dolmar with their new saw line coming out in the fall will kick the ever lovin' snot out of both Stihl and Husqvarna, cube for kilo. They aint the only game in town!

No not the only game in town. How can they be they are not even in town. Dolmar dealers are very far and very few between.

What`s cooking with Dolmar anyway? I`ve heard that they are going to blow everyone away but I haven`t seen anything but rhetoric so far, with the possible exception of the 7900. I say possible exception because I don`t know anyone except Seth who has one so I don`t know how they hold up. I do like what I have seen in the 7900, very smooth and good power for the weight.

I wonder if Dolmar_Tech_Manager is going to be at Boonville, I`d like to meet him, maybe buy a few saws from Dolmar if someone knowledgeable were there to talk with rather than the well meaning but basically clueless fellows from last year.

Russ

Back