Husky & Petrol Mixes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohN Dee

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hiya,

I'm posting to find out what the recommended mix(Two Stroke mix ratio) for a Husqvarna 381 Chainsaw is.

Up until a week ago I thought it was the average 50:1 ratio but after blowing the piston and $200 later I found out that the wrong mix(50:1) was the reason it blew up.. I spoke with a Husky dealer and he recommended a heavier mix and NOT to go with outboard two stroke oil.

So if ya could post the ratio, a good brand, your thoughts and any other details on the "Right" mix it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I run 40:1 Klotz R50 full synthetic mix in all my 2-stroke equipment. Never had any problems - remember now, a mixture with more oil (16:1) is actually leaner than a mixture with less oil (40:1). However, too little oil won't provide ample lubricity and cooling, and you will melt the engine down. You can lean-sieze and engine with lots of oil (a 16:1 mix) - it is all about proper jetting. I personally would stick between 32:1 and 40:1 with a full synthetic oil and high quality gas. If you can afford it, go to your local commuter airport, and ask for 100LL (low lead). It is about $1 more per gallon here in the states, the lead acts as added lubrication and slightly cools the burn, and the fuel is manufactured to a higher standard - more stable over a longer period of time, doesn't varnish as quickly, etc. Just make sure you jet your saw accordingly - do a wide-open-throttle run for about 10-12 seconds and shut it down with the engine at full speed and the throttle still wide-open. Then, pull the spark plug - it should be a nice tan color. Black is rich and only causes your saw to run poorly. White or gray is dangerous and you are looking to burn the saw down again. as a starting point, 1 to 1.25 turns from lightly seated on both the L and H screws on the carburetor. Good luck.

I run the Husqvarna semi synthetic in the gray bottle at 40-1.As per my Husky dealer.

i run husky or stihl oil

at the bottles recommendation.shidaiwa oil used to be good but i haven't owned a shidaiwa in years.i notice the lawn guys i know run the cheapest oil they can find and the stuff is falling apart and i'm always working on it.

Any good oil will do. Husky, Stihl, Echo brand oil are all very good choices in two stroke oil. if you want, you can use a common branded synthetic oil too. this is argued every so often, it boils down to personal preference.

the mix ratio is argued as much here as oil type/brand, with no definitive answer. I personally like 32:1, but 40:1 will work just fine.

outboard two stroke oil burns at cooler temps than air cooled two stroke oil does, thus the reason your shop told you NOT to use outboard stuff in your saw.

btw, I've never heard of a 381, is it a 181 or 281?

Back