Husky saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
359 vs. 455

I really like my 359. It really shines when I compare it to my MS-310. Equal or more cutting power and excellent handling. My left arm isn't sore & tired even after 2 hours cutting. I never had a problem with the E-tech setup, the heat factor just fueled my paranoia. I don't know if the metal crankcase will make a difference to a novice like myself who cuts 4-6 cords a year.

My buddy used my 359 and said it was better than the 455 he tried. I think the 455's problem is that it is often fitted with a 20" bar and 3/8" chain. It matches the bigger, heavier chassis in the looks but I think a 3.4 hp saw would do better with a standard .325" pitch and 16"-18" bar. Remember, the MS290 farmboss is usually setup with a .325" chain.

No one has mentioned a husky 460. Why? To new? I am almost certainly going with the 359 but am tantilized by the 460. 359 has 59cc engine with 20m/sec chain speed. 460 60.3ccs and 17 m/sec chain speed. I don't know about carburetors but to my thinking the 460 carburetor may be lacking. Weight is also less with 359, but on horizontal logs I don't see weight as a factor. IMO. Edjamacate me PLEASE!

I believe the 455 has a plastic crankcase. I know the 359 has a magnesium crankcase. The 455 weighs more and makes less power then the 359. I'd get the 359! :D

No one has mentioned a husky 460. Why? To new? I am almost certainly going with the 359 but am tantilized by the 460. 359 has 59cc engine with 20m/sec chain speed. 460 60.3ccs and 17 m/sec chain speed. I don't know about carburetors but to my thinking the 460 carburetor may be lacking. Weight is also less with 359, but on horizontal logs I don't see weight as a factor. IMO. Edjamacate me PLEASE!

Near as I can tell............I am not sure on this...........the 460 is nothing but a bigger version of the 455. Knowing this I believe most here will pass on the 460!

You are getting solid answers from us guys who have and run the 359...........Get The 359!!!

I'm convinced!!! Magnesium case MUCH better than plastic. Lighter, faster, more HP all for $43.

When I win the lottery I'm going to purchase a 460. Then NWCS and I are going to modify it into the best :censored: saw you ever saw!!! :blob2::blob2::blob2:

Wait... I don't buy lotto tickets.;)

Last edited:
Near as I can tell............I am not sure on this...........the 460 is nothing but a bigger version of the 455.Get The 359!!!

Are'nt the Stihl MS350 and MS390 a bigger version of the MS290; and the Dolmar 7300 and 7900 just larger more expensive versions of the 6400? Sometimes a little more horsepower is a good thing, sometimes a little less weight, $ always a big part of the equation.

5 to 6 cords of hardwood firewood a year.

The 455 is definitely capable of cutting 5 to 6 cords of hardwood a year and will last for many years. The advise that you are being given about the 359 is accurate. The 359 is definitely a more powerful and durable saw but as you stated it cost $120.00 more. If your budget doesn't allow for the extra $120 than get the 455, but if you can easily afford the extra you will not regret the upgrade.

The other thing that you may want to do is ask your dealer if he has demo models that you can try for yourself. This will allow you to see the difference first hand and will help you make your decision.

Are'nt the Stihl MS350 and MS390 a bigger version of the MS290; and the Dolmar 7300 and 7900 just larger more expensive versions of the 6400? Sometimes a little more horsepower is a good thing, sometimes a little less weight, $ always a big part of the equation.

Yeah...........but.............the above mentioned dolmar's are pro quality saws and the stihls aren't!!!

If you've ever tried to change the rings on a 290/390 they aint easy.

The Husky 460 is consumer quality, while the 359 is pro quality.........

Again, I called Husqvarna tech and spoke with a supervisor. He confirmed that all saws they produce now come with a plastic/composte crankcase.

Again, I called Husqvarna tech and spoke with a supervisor. He confirmed that all saws they produce now come with a plastic/composte crankcase.

That applies only to consumer class saws... all xp's and "ninja-xp's" come with magnesium crankcases...

Liberty,
Who are you gonna believe? You ask these guys their opinion then argue and continue to call Husky. Buy whatever you want but I can tell you these guys know what the hell they are talking about!!!!
How many times are you gonna ask the same question?
Greg Harrison

In the consumer line, he is correct as blis has stated.

The 359 is not a consumer model, it is a pro model, targeted at heavy firewood cutters and others who demand a pro quality saw, but want a slightly lower price. It is very close to a 357XP, but is detuned through the use of a different crank and cylinder design. It's power output is less, but the construction is the same.

The tech's you are talking to are misinformed, or don't know their product very well. Just because they said it doesn't mean it's true. They have to know about many other products besides just chainsaws. If you don't believe the users of this board, many of whom use saws daily, and know more about the products than the flunkies on the tech line, go down to a Husky dealer, and look at the saws themselves. It will soon be obvious who is right and who is not by looking at the saws on the shelf.

You and the Husky technicians have some sort of communication failure... :deadhorse:

This is what they should telll you:

:chainsaw: 137, 142, 340, 345, 350, 455 and 460 are consumer grade saws and have plastic composite crankcases.

:chainsaw: 346, 353, 357, 359, 365, 372, 570, 575, 385, 390, 395, 3120 are professional grade saws and have magnesium crankcases.

If this is not the answer you get from them, they either don't know their product or does not fully understand your question.

(I actually don't know about the 55 and the 336, but I'll guess they're both metal.)

You and the Husky technicians have some sort of communication failure... :deadhorse:

This is what they should telll you:

:chainsaw: 137, 142, 340, 345, 350, 455 and 460 are consumer grade saws and have plastic composite crankcases.

:chainsaw: 346, 353, 357, 359, 365, 372, 570, 575, 385, 390, 395, 3120 are professional grade saws and have magnesium crankcases.

If this is not the answer you get from them, they either don't know their product or does not fully understand your question.

(I actually don't know about the 55 and the 336, but I'll guess they're both metal.)

What Maccall (and the others) said!!

Now quit calling the weed-whacker division!!

In the consumer line, he is correct as blis has stated.

The 359 is not a consumer model, it is a pro model, targeted at heavy firewood cutters and others who demand a pro quality saw, but want a slightly lower price. It is very close to a 357XP, but is detuned through the use of a different crank and cylinder design. It's power output is less, but the construction is the same.

The 357/359 story is the same as 346/353, slightly more cc's with slightly less power but wider powerband...

Latest posts

Back