Husky saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maccall

maccall

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
The 357/359 story is the same as 346/353, slightly more cc's with slightly less power but wider powerband...

I don't argue this, but for some time now I've really been wondering why on earth the 346/357 does cost so much more than the 353/359. There can't be just displacement differences, there has to be more to it. Or..?

MAG58

MAG58

ArboristSite Guru
The 357/359 story is the same as 346/353, slightly more cc's with slightly less power but wider powerband...

It's the same whit the 2147/2152 and 2156/2159 as Jonsered are almost the same as Husqvarna.
And the 2147 and 2156 cost much more than the 2152 and 2159, why this is so? Must be something whit the construction of the cylinders?

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Thanks Troll; Am I also correct that the new designs (XTorq engine) are also MUCH more difficult to start?

I never started one, and can't remember to have read about starting problems, so I can't answer that.

The 575xp and 570 (pro models) are reputed to be "cold blooded", but I don't know about the consumer models......

liberty

liberty

ArboristSite Operative
Sorry about the persistent question. I also went to three dealers and they also confirmed what the husky tech stated. There is a lot of misinformation out there . My question was clear. I was comparing the 455 and the 359. Thank you all for your responses.

MAG58

MAG58

ArboristSite Guru
Sorry about the persistent question. I also went to three dealers and they also confirmed what the husky tech stated. There is a lot of misinformation out there . My question was clear. I was comparing the 455 and the 359. Thank you all for your responses.

Mostly around my area it's Pro Jonsered and STIHL dealers, and a lot of Hardware-store that sell Homeowner plastic Husky. But I can tell you that it is the same over here whit the Hardware-store that sell Husqvarna, they don't know what they are selling or anything about the saw's. There are a few big Pro Husqvarna store that know what they are doing and they are real good.

maccall

maccall

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member

One would generally think that one would get correct information from the tech guys and from the dealers, but in this case...

It's like if you were holding an orange in your right hand and an apple in your left asking them "Are these two the exact same?" and the answer you get is "Yes they are. Both are fruits."

They are somehow not answering what you're actually asking, but what they think you want to know.

I think you'll have to buy both saws and take them apart yourself, you'll never get to know otherwise... ;)

And you're going to want more than one saw anyhow, might aswell start right away :biggrinbounce2:

Lou

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
My 2¢. I want a saw capable of running a 24" bar. The 455 is the smallest saw recommended to do that. My 85 Subaru DL wagon was capable of 105 mph of the Autobahn (86-89), but if i wanted to consistently run 105 mph I would have purchased something with a much larger engine. I suspect the DL would not have lasted as long as it did had I made a habit of operating it at that speed. If you want a consumer model saw at least step up to the 460. An Internet search will tell you the 359 is $43 more than the 460. The 359 is the most saw for least $ in this class whether or not the crankcase cover is plastic. If the 359 is the same as the 455/460 why does it weigh almost a pound less? Lighter, faster with more power for $43, I made my choice

Stateside with the catalytic converter the Subaru only goes 85 mph, maybe something to be said for muffler mods! My daughter ran a curb through the block sometime in 1995. Passing a Mercedes with your Subaru @ 105 mph...PRICELESS!

GASoline71

GASoline71

Mr. Nice Guy
WTH??? Why are you so concerend with internal goobilygoop information from a "Husky tech", and whether or not the 455 is like a 359. and all the saws from a 359 "on down" are the same "internally"... It's a moot point... does it really matter that much???:bang:

I'm not tryin' to be an a$$ here... but again... I guess it's just me.:taped:

Now then... of the 2 Husqvarna's I have run for long periods of time... one was a 359 (other was a 372XP... but who cares). It is a sweet saw. Buy that 455/460 thingy... and you'll wish you had a 359.

Gary

outdoortype

outdoortype

ArboristSite Guru
Liberty, it's metal or at least mine is...

This doesn't look good for Husqvarna tech/customer support. Unless they have changed the 359 recently, it's metal!! If you don't believe me, go to the local dealer and unscrew the bar oil fill cap. You'll be able to see and feel the shiny metal threads. Now do the same with the 455/460. This will prove that local dealer and Husqvarna tech wrong. I picked up a 455 at Sears a few months ago and could immediately tell that it had a plastic crankcase. Flick it with your finger and you'll know what I mean. It didn't seem like a bad saw. It still seemed lighter than the 290/310 Stilhls. The bottom line is, will you use it enough to know the difference between the construction?? People swear by the Husky 350 and Stihl 025 but they both have plastic crankcases. I know a few people who have put a lot of hours on the plastic cased 029/290's with little maintenance and no complaints. I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers.

Urbicide

Urbicide

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I called Husqvarna directly and spoke with a tech about the internal construction of their saws. He stated they are all constructed the same from the 359 down. I was looking at the 359 or the 455 rancher. I will be cutting about six cords of hardwood a year. I can purchase the 455 via online for $319 with free shipping and three chains or the 359 for $439 with three chains. Since they are equally durable is the 359 worth the extra cost?

I was thinking about what similarities the models share from 359 down. The only thing I could think off is the true Husqvarna models (not counting the orange poulans) use the small Husky bar mount pattern as opposed to the larger saws which use the large Husky bar mount.

Small Husky mount example. http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/791?mv_session_id=vgPLjTAJ&product_sku=SVST 20 SJ50

Large Husky mount example. http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/765?mv_session_id=vgPLjTAJ&product_sku=SVST 20 HU50

bythcord

bythcord

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks Troll; Am I also correct that the new designs (XTorq engine) are also MUCH more difficult to start?

I had some difficulties starting a Rancher 455. It seemed to be an issue with the primer bulb. Either not enough gas or it was flooded. I was always able to get it started just took more time. My new 357xp starts right up with no trouble.

bythcord

bythcord

ArboristSite Lurker

Have you looked at them side by side? To me the differences in construction were obvious. If the lighter weight, increased powere, and extra features on the 359 aren't worth it to you then get the 455. It works fine and will probaly do a good job for you.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
.... If the 359 is the same as the 455/460 why does it weigh almost a pound less? ...

Actually, it doesn't.

The advertised weights for the 357xp and 359 are very optimistic, to say the least...:angry: :angry:

But the 359 has more power, much better build quality, and the pro saw features and ergonomy.

Last edited:
Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks

ArboristSite Operative
I just called the technical support line at Poulan and they told me that the Wild Thing is also the same as the Husqvarna saws. Now I can't understand why anybody pays so much money for a Husqvarna when you can get a Wild Thing for a fraction of the price.:help:

Last edited:
Greg Harrison

Greg Harrison

ArboristSite Member
I just called the technical support line at Poulan and they told me that the Wild Thing is also the same as the Husqvarna saws. Now I can't understand why anybody pays so much money for a Husqvarna when you can a Wild Thing for a fraction of the price.:help:

When you by a Wildthing you still need to buy a chainsaw in my opinion
Greg harrison

bythcord

bythcord

ArboristSite Lurker
Poulan, Jonsered, and husky are all the same company. Electrolux (sp?)

The consumer products from husky, smallest saws, riding and push mowers are virtualy the same as the poulan products.

I noticed this last summer when my store started selling riding lawnmowers. The only difference between the poulans and the lower end husky riders was, color and the flourishes (cup holders etc), and the price.

The poulan wild thing is pretty much the same thing as the Husky 142

The difference is that the Wild Thing is the biggest saw in the Poulan line, the 142 is just about the smallest saw in the Husky line.

bythcord

bythcord

ArboristSite Lurker
When you by a Wildthing you still need to buy a chainsaw in my opinion
Greg harrison

The price difference between the Wild Thing and the Husky 142 is $50ish. For that you get a 2 year warranty instead of a 1 year. If your only going to use the saw a couple of times a year to trim branches then Wild Thing would be fine.

For me cost isn't the only factor, In fact it's a couple of notches down below weight and power.

I'm not sure what I would do with a 142 or wild thing. If I wanted a smaller saw I would look at the Husky 350. Sure it's more money but it's the same size and weight but 1/3 more HP and can actually cut with 18" bar.

Latest posts