Husqvarna 130-First Look

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got really disappointed at my 445, even the 32cc Dolmar/Makita has a metal engine at least, the 445 has a metal cylinder that sits on top of a plastic bottom case - half the crank bearing rests on the plastic frame.
Mine is in a box at the attic, I just wants to forget all about it. If the seller / Husky had given some useful information of the key factors; 1 single guide bar bolt anchored in plastic, bottom half crankcase is plastic - I would have made a different choice.
Husqvarna have been making saws with integrated polyamid composite lower crankcase & oil tank since the mid '80s. Eg, 40,45, 49. They are some of the most durable saws ever made.

Husqvarna have been making saws with integrated polyamid composite lower crankcase & oil tank since the mid '80s. Eg, 40,45, 49. They are some of the most durable saws ever made.

I don't doubt that, my 445 have been perfect from handling to operation.

I wish it had a lightweight plastic chain/sprocket cover instead of the excessive heavy cover it has, I wish it had two guide bar studs to make it more stable when using both sides of the guide bar, and I wish it had the bottom crankcase metal cup so that the crankcase bearings are supported by a metal frame all around.

Not too much to ask, the much smaller Dolmar/Makita has that, and even though it's not western produced - I actually consider that better quality and value for my pesetas. It's just a better priority of the lightweight cost effective concept.

That said, my 445 have been flawless.

My understanding is that the 130 will replace US-made models so...perhaps not.

I realize this is more a matter of an improved design than where it's made, but the fact is that the 130 is a far better saw than the 240 it is replacing. If the saw was made on the moon, I'm happy with the improvement.

I wish it had a lightweight plastic chain/sprocket cover instead of the excessive heavy cover it has, I wish it had two guide bar studs to make it more stable when using both sides of the guide bar, and I wish it had the bottom crankcase metal cup so that the crankcase bearings are supported by a metal frame all around.

Not too much to ask, the much smaller Dolmar/Makita has that, and even though it's not western produced - I actually consider that better quality and value for my pesetas. It's just a better priority of the lightweight cost effective concept.

Geez, you don't like where they used plastic, and you don't like the metal clutch cover. What materials do you think they should build the saw with? :)

Funny how many guys complain about the single bar stud, but fail to mention the 2 support studs on either side of it. It may be a perception, but it's not a problem.

sounds like:

1. You need to do more research, or ask more questions

2. You Should have bought either the 545, or 550XP

3. You were expecting to get a Pro Quality Saw, at a Home Owner Saw price

Husqvarna has several different lines of saws, to meet several Price Point/ Expectation levels

The already mentioned 545 and 550XP would have met your construction expectations, but at a higher price point

I have a 550XP, and bought a 445 for the Wife, I felt that the 445 was an Excellent Price/Weight/Power Balance for how I expected her to use her saw, it hasn’t disappointed us yet, I have grabbed her saw on many occasions when it was closer, had fuel or a sharp chain when my 550XP or 353 was lacking one of those things

The Plastic “Clamshell “ construction of the home owner class saws has been discussed here many times, and the general consesus has been that the design holds up Better than most would expect of it.

For the most part those that have used them very much, have been Happy with them

Is a Magnesium Crankcase more Desirable?
You Bet, but it comes at a Price, that for many, just can’t be justified for how they use their saws.

The 445 NE (50.2cc version) has a $339.95 US MSRP, Extreme Power Sports in Okanogan, WA sold me the Wife’s 445 for $305 out the door, I had never been there, didn’t even ask for a discount :dancing::happybanana::)

I feel the 445 is an Excellent saw for $339.95, even Better at $305.00, I have ZERO Complaints with the 445 for it’s Niche

Doug :cheers:

Geez, you don't like where they used plastic, and you don't like the metal clutch cover. What materials do you think they should build the saw with? :)

Funny how many guys complain about the single bar stud, but fail to mention the 2 support studs on either side of it. It may be a perception, but it's not a problem.

If you ask about the distribution of plastics and metal you didn't really read my post now did you?
The two support studs don't hold the bar in the exact position, there is some play to the tolerances - just enough so that you can lift the bar before you fasten the stud nut and you get a different tension on your chain than if you don't.
No, I didn't say it was a problem, I said I would just prefer it to be a little different.

sounds like:

1. You need to do more research, or ask more questions

2. You Should have bought either the 545, or 550XP

3. You were expecting to get a Pro Quality Saw, at a Home Owner Saw price

Husqvarna has several different lines of saws, to meet several Price Point/ Expectation levels

The already mentioned 545 and 550XP would have met your construction expectations, but at a higher price point

I have a 550XP, and bought a 445 for the Wife, I felt that the 445 was an Excellent Price/Weight/Power Balance for how I expected her to use her saw, it hasn’t disappointed us yet, I have grabbed her saw on many occasions when it was closer, had fuel or a sharp chain when my 550XP or 353 was lacking one of those things

The Plastic “Clamshell “ construction of the home owner class saws has been discussed here many times, and the general consesus has been that the design holds up Better than most would expect of it.

For the most part those that have used them very much, have been Happy with them

Is a Magnesium Crankcase more Desirable?
You Bet, but it comes at a Price, that for many, just can’t be justified for how they use their saws.

The 445 NE (50.2cc version) has a $339.95 US MSRP, Extreme Power Sports in Okanogan, WA sold me the Wife’s 445 for $305 out the door, I had never been there, didn’t even ask for a discount :dancing::happybanana::)

I feel the 445 is an Excellent saw for $339.95, even Better at $305.00, I have ZERO Complaints with the 445 for it’s Niche

I would expect to get some explanation to the alternatives when I enter a store that sells chainsaws;

"we have this saw, it is a consumer/hobby model. this next model has an all magnesium frame and it makes it more durable"

All I got was "this is 45cc, and this is 50cc"

Yeah, I should definitely have bought a 545, but that's a little too late for me now.

I would expect to get some explanation to the alternatives when I enter a store that sells chainsaws;

"we have this saw, it is a consumer/hobby model. this next model has an all magnesium frame and it makes it more durable"

All I got was "this is 45cc, and this is 50cc"

Yeah, I should definitely have bought a 545, but that's a little too late for me now.

I agree with that. Dealer should ask some questions and do some listening about what you will need. I don't know how anyone can recommend something to the customer without doing that.

I agree with that. Dealer should ask some questions and do some listening about what you will need. I don't know how anyone can recommend something to the customer without doing that.

Well, I would want to know what the alternatives are - not just what they "recommend."

We would recommend you this; its all plastics - the only thing made of metal is the cylinder, carburetor and the sprocket cover. That's why we make so much money selling it to you."

They don't tell you those things now do they...

So, is it Husqvarnas fault I got disappointed, is it the sellers fault I got disappointed, or is it my fault I got disappointed because I opened it up and had a look inside.
All I know is that I bought a real Husqvarna chainsaw and I expected it to be the best chainsaw in the world... well times have changed obviously. It's the cheapest made chainsaw in the world - that's what it is.

Buttercup, it sounds like your Dealer dropped the ball, but it also sounds like you know enough to ask questions that you didn’t.

You didn’t buy the wrong brand, Husqvarna offers saws with the features you want, you just bought the wrong saw.

I really don’t understand your disappointment in the 445, My Wife has a 445, and I have been very Happy with it so far, but I knew what I was buying, when I bought it for her.

For a homeowner doing yard maintenance, or storm clean up, it is a Great saw at a reasonable price. For someone burning a couple cords a year, it will last many years, if properly taken care of, that is the market the 445 was designed for, you won’t see many Loggers or Professional Arborists using the 445, they will likely be using a 550xp, or possibly a 545 for the work that a 50cc saw would be suitable for. Buy the saw that meets your expectations, but expect the price to reflect what you expect

As to the single bar stud/ chain tension issue, I had trouble with another saw having the chain tension issue you describe, my Wife is a Hair Stylist and one of her regulars is a logger, he said to put a block of wood under the nose of the bar when adjusting the tension and tightening the bar nut(s), Problem SOLVED.
Funny thing is, when I looked at the owner’s manual for that saw, it said to do that very thing, give it a try.

In my experience, the 445 has been a Great saw when used as it was intended to be used

As to the single bar stud/ chain tension issue, I had trouble with another saw having the chain tension issue you describe, my Wife is a Hair Stylist and one of her regulars is a logger, he said to put a block of wood under the nose of the bar when adjusting the tension and tightening the bar nut(s), Problem SOLVED.
Funny thing is, when I looked at the owner’s manual for that saw, it said to do that very thing, give it a try.

In my experience, the 445 has been a Great saw when used as it was intended to be used

That doesn't solve anything, wheres your physics mate.
So you lift the bar with your hand or a piece of wood when adjusting the chain and tightening the stud nut? and when you use the upper side of the bar to cut with and you use some force and due to vibrations etc. it slips down and the tension does not change?
Two bar stud nuts holds the bar better in the exact position, better than just one bar stud nut when forces are applied from cutting both above and below the log right?

Congratulations with a wife - now I know I have a hairstylists kind of saw :rolleyes:

That doesn't solve anything, wheres your physics mate.
So you lift the bar with your hand or a piece of wood when adjusting the chain and tightening the stud nut? and when you use the upper side of the bar to cut with and you use some force and due to vibrations etc. it slips down and the tension does not change?
Two bar stud nuts holds the bar better in the exact position, better than just one bar stud nut when forces are applied from cutting both above and below the log right?

Congratulations with a wife - now I know I have a hairstylists kind of saw :rolleyes:

Just how much are you forcing the bar?

If your chain is Sharp you shouldn’t need that much pressure on Either side of your bar.

Sure, two studs are preferable, but I haven’t had any trouble with the Wife’s chain tension.

I’m really starting to think that you bought the wrong saw, and rather than accept that you made a mistake, you have decided to Hate Husqvarna in general, and the 445 in particular

Just curious, did the dealer sell you the 445, as a 45cc saw, or a 50cc saw?

Unless it was really old stock, your 445 is likely a 50cc saw , regardless of what the model # would suggest.

I don’t know exactly when Husqvarna revised the 445 from 45.7cc IIRC, to I believe it is now 50.2cc. I know that the Wife’s saw is a 50cc version, and that was December of 2017 that I bought it, and it is definitely a 50cc version

Let go of the Disappointment and Hatred, give the 445 a Fair chance, you just might Like it, and the money you saved compared to the 545

I have Huskies from the 38cc 23 Compact to the 119cc 3120xp, with many in between, and when the 445 is the right tool for the job it does a very good job, when it’s not, I use a saw better suited to what I am doing

I still feel that when used as intended, the 445 is a great saw, at a reasonable price

I read the two first lines of your post and it is sufficient to determine how much you respect my reply, it aint worth it.
Have a look at my avatar, what do you see... The 445 is a hairdressers saw, remember? nothing more too it, I agree.

No offense guys. But can we steer this back to the 130. It does have a mag case and two functioning bar studs ;)

And it is the recommended small saw by the best Husky dealer around :cheers:

No offense guys. But can we steer this back to the 130. It does have a mag case and two functioning bar studs ;)

And it is the recommended small saw by the best Husky dealer around :cheers:

Hey Steve, you have me curious about the 130, I have read other Good reviews on it as well.

The 130 comes with a 3/8 LP B&C IIRC, do you know if the .325/.50 Bars that fit my 445, 353 & 550XP would fit it, or is it a different bar mount?

I already have several bars in.325, 13, 16,18 & 20” plus many chains

Plus D009 mount 3/8/.50 and,
D009 mount .404/.063. So I try to keep with saws that will use those B&C’s, as much as possible to keep compatibility as best I can.
Really want to avoid single saw bar and chains.

Unfortunately they do not interchange as the 130 takes the the small mount A041. Your 550/445/353 take the K095 bar aka "Small Husky" mount which is a deeper/larger bar.

The good thing is that the A041 pattern is used by almost every small saw manufacturer (except for Stihl) so bars and chains are readily available and cheap. I have never bought an AO41 bar that wasn't on sale except for the time I pinched my little Dolmar in a big tree and even then the Trilink bar and chain combo was only $15. Side note: the Disston A041 bars have a second adjuster hole which allow small mount Stihl saws (AO74 pattern) to use the more common 45/52/56/62 DL chains.

Thanks Steve, I was afraid of that.:(

There probably isn’t enough benefit to add another bar mount to the collection, it sounded like putting one of the 13” .325’s would have been handy, but I don’t find the 353 with a 16” bar all that onerous.

Just a sprocket change would have made the 130, an interesting saw for $200

Latest posts

Back