Husqvarna 235 Chainsaw Good Buy??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was all set to get a 445 off of ebay, it looks like a great saw and when I asked the same question to all these gentlemen they all had positive responses. The only reason I didn't get the husky is I landed the 026 for free. I still would love to get the 445 but i don't think my wife will let me. As for the 028 Im sure if it was running great it would be nice but do you know what its life was like before you were to own it? That is the chance you take when you get a old saw. I have never bought a new or refurbished saw and I can tell you some older saws run like champs and others run like champs in between long periods of "repair time". If your prior sawing was with a lil stihl and some old homies i think you'll be blown away by the 445. But hey thats just my opinion GOOD LUCK -Matt

thanks for your opinion matt... yeah i really like stihls alot but i just dont know if it would be good idea to pay 120 for the 031 thats 20+ years old and have to drive 65miles to get it... orrr buy the 445 that a refurb for 180 the refurb would be almost just like a brand new one i would think

I was thinking the same thing about the refurb being just like new. And I too love my stihls, they are the used saws that keep on running. My husky is out of order for now, but i will say that when its running it gets ran hard. I wanted a little orange brother for my husky thats why I was thinking 445 and trust me i still think hmmmm 445. My wife will just kill me if another box shows up on my door step.

I have a 362xp that I blew up. It really would still be running but I had to mess with it in a quest for more speed. Then I.......well the wounds are still fresh. Let me tell you that when she is running right there is nothing like a 60+ cc saw with a sharp chain tearing into wood. Lap top running low on battery gotta go till tomorrow night. Matt

Just click the link and enter the code and you will have a certified refubished husquvarna 445 with warranty at your door in 3 days and you will be very happy.

http://www.*****************/produc...45_7cc_Gas_Powered_Chainsaw_Refurbished_.html

enter code............ vmsave10

Total cost $178

Factory renewed to original condition HUSQVARNA 445 Gas Chainsaw

This item was refurbished by the manufacturer to the original condition and is guaranteed to meet or exceed specifications and performance of a brand new unit!

Last edited:
anyone have a 031?

Both the 028 and the 031 are great old saws and between the two of them have probably cut a MILLION of cords of firewood.
My concern would be that many of the parts are NLA from the dealers and must be found used or "new old stock".
NOS parts usually command premium prices WHEN you can find them.
Those saws would be great for backup saws and are priced in the normal range for a good specimen.
I would have some concerns about using one for my main saw if my only source of heat was wood (which it is) and especially if I worked public work (which I do).
If you are an occasional cutter, and it doesn't create a hardship if you go to the woods and your saw quits, go for it.

Mike

I have an 031AV and I agree with what Mike said about them. Mine was my 'primary' saw for a while in the early '80s. Every part was still available for them at the dealer (though expensive for a teenager). The 028 saws are at the 'parts availability stage' that my 031AV was back when I was using it all the time. I couldn't recomend an 031AV for somebody as their 'only' saw if their home heating depended on it.

Some parts still are available from the dealers, but that supply is drying up. It's a good 'second' or 'fun' saw. I've gathered up most of the parts needed to rebuild my old workhorse, including an NOS piston and cylinder. When I've gotten the last few bits I'll go through the whole saw. For the years of service it gave me, I owe it that.:D

Last edited:
well i called the closest home depot with tool rental and they didnt have any used 6401s for sale... and i talked to the man with the 031 he said the saw started 2nd pull but i think with this being my only saw im wanting a new one

you'll like it, the 445's are feisty little things. I've cut some pretty big limbs with it no problem. I can't speak for its longevity.
Also, The little hole in the muffler really needs to be bigger so the saw can exhale.

you'll like it, the 445's are feisty little things. I've cut some pretty big limbs with it no problem. I can't speak for its longevity.
Also, The little hole in the muffler really needs to be bigger so the saw can exhale.

soooo what did you do... did you make it larger? anyone else have this problem

pulled out the removable spark arrestor screen and stuck a dremel cutter inside. super easy

i did it!!! i just ended up buying the 445! hope your right

Good choice. The 445 is a good little saw. Read the owners manual and run some tanks of fuel through it. Don't go jump on something way too big for the 445. I can't say this enough, read the owners manual and learn how to maintain your saw.

Jerry

Good choice. The 445 is a good little saw. Read the owners manual and run some tanks of fuel through it. Don't go jump on something way too big for the 445. I can't say this enough, read the owners manual and learn how to maintain your saw.

Jerry

:agree2: And leave the muffler alone, unless someone comes up with exactly what to do on that saw. It is a "strato" saw, so it may not respond well to a traditional muffler mod.

:agree2: And leave the muffler alone, unless someone comes up with exactly what to do on that saw. It is a "strato" saw, so it may not respond well to a traditional muffler mod.

Well i have one and did it with no ill effects. Runs better and cooler. Choked up saw is a phrase that definitely comes to mind.

Back