Huztl/Farmertec clone chainsaws are ****

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I took my new welder home. I figured that right out of the box there would be some kind of broken component visible right away.... Nope. I figured once I snapped the handle on, it would just break... Nope. I figured if I tried to feed the wire into the feed tube that it would just crumble.... Nope. I went ahead and snapped the screw down on the feed wheel with my eyes closed because I just knew it was going to grenade....nope. so I cautiously plugged it into the exterior outlet at my house expecting a fire to happen instantly... Nope. I carefully placed the ground clamp on expecting the spring to fly out... Nope. I went ahead and pulled the trigger against all advice from this thread expecting some kind of weird unexplainable anomale to happen.... But nope...... Strangely I was able to weld two entire pole base cages together! With a cheap harbor freight tool! It's the damnedest thing. I didn't spend a thousand dollars on something.... And it worked. It actually worked guys.. I'ma go get me a lottery ticket because that surely has to be a first! Surely that has never happened.... To anyone..... In the history of ever!
The 170 model is great too. I picked one up in 2013 and by 2016 id put at least 130lbs of wire thru it. Built bumpers, trailers and tons of repairs. Got hit by lightning one night...best welder i ever had.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I know what I should have done.... I should have walked door to door, looking in people's garages and checking the local Craigslist ads.... Maybe I could have spent the last two weeks keeping a weather eye out for a sweet fixer upper mig welder that I could have found with a couple of missing or broken parts, then sunk 50 bucks into it and had an ugly but functional welder that I may some day be able to sell off and get my money back for...... Maybe running to the local store and buying it on the cheap was a silly gamble.... I mean it won't last nearly as long as a higher quality one, so I shouldn't have wasted my hundred dollars. Surely there was a better way.

I know what I should have done.... I should have walked door to door, looking in people's garages and checking the local Craigslist ads.... Maybe I could have spent the last two weeks keeping a weather eye out for a sweet fixer upper mig welder that I could have found with a couple of missing or broken parts, then sunk 50 bucks into it and had an ugly but functional welder that I may some day be able to sell off and get my money back for...... Maybe running to the local store and buying it on the cheap was a silly gamble.... I mean it won't last nearly as long as a higher quality one, so I shouldn't have wasted my hundred dollars. Surely there was a better way.
LOL

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I just got out of the shower and as I was drying off... I looked at the label on my towel...... I'm shocked that I was actually able to dry the water off of myself with it... I'll be a monkey's uncle. Yep made in China.View attachment 821492
Just don't wash and dry it. It will fall apart. You should have bought OEM instead of that cheap China crap.

And it worked. It actually worked guys..
Yep. For one-off projects, HF tools are (mostly) just fine. More so if you need a special tool - can't feel guilty grinding on a HF socket to make it shorter so it fits where it needs to, etc. $120 for a welder is a deal, especially if it gets the job done, and you're doing it within the warranty period. Anything more is a bonus! Just need to consider it a job cost, and not an investment. But if it breaks down when you do the next project in 2 or 3 years (it probably won't), good luck getting parts, you need to buy another. For someone who would use it on a daily/weekly/monthly basis, something better probably makes sense - but you found what economically works for your needs. Good for you.

I just rebuild a Stihl 028. Used a Chinese jug. I expect to be shamed. But, I'll be using it for firewood. If it goes for a couple of years, the $33 I spent will be worth it and I'll get another. Takes less than an hour to put another one on. I could spend 4x for a supposedly better quality Chinese one. Would it last 4x? Who knows? Either may last another 30 years. I'm guessing an OEM one would be 10x or more - more than the saw is worth (the same thing is why I got the broken saw free, shop labor and OEM parts made it uneconomic to repair). Whatever. I've got something which will cut wood, but cost less, is better, and will probably last longer than the Wild Thing I keep on the property up north (had to clear a fallen tree off the driveway, it was on sale at a big box store, it did the job, still works, and I won't be greatly upset if it gets stolen).

It's mostly about cost/benefit, and that equation is different for different people.

Yep. For one-off projects, HF tools are (mostly) just fine. More so if you need a special tool - can't feel guilty grinding on a HF socket to make it shorter so it fits where it needs to, etc. $120 for a welder is a deal, especially if it gets the job done, and you're doing it within the warranty period. Anything more is a bonus! Just need to consider it a job cost, and not an investment. But if it breaks down when you do the next project in 2 or 3 years (it probably won't), good luck getting parts, you need to buy another. For someone who would use it on a daily/weekly/monthly basis, something better probably makes sense - but you found what economically works for your needs. Good for you.

I just rebuild a Stihl 028. Used a Chinese jug. I expect to be shamed. But, I'll be using it for firewood. If it goes for a couple of years, the $33 I spent will be worth it and I'll get another. Takes less than an hour to put another one on. I could spend 4x for a supposedly better quality Chinese one. Would it last 4x? Who knows? Either may last another 30 years. I'm guessing an OEM one would be 10x or more - more than the saw is worth (the same thing is why I got the broken saw free, shop labor and OEM parts made it uneconomic to repair). Whatever. I've got something which will cut wood, but cost less, is better, and will probably last longer than the Wild Thing I keep on the property up north (had to clear a fallen tree off the driveway, it was on sale at a big box store, it did the job, still works, and I won't be greatly upset if it gets stolen).

It's mostly about cost/benefit, and that equation is different for different people.
Yup.

Sorry to say I like some rice stuff, harbor freight is great for some stuff. hutzl you get what you pay for and expect that.
You want a stihl buy stihl.
You want a husky buy a husky.
You want a farmertec buy a Farmertec And if you expect the same results from them it as two above.
Harbor freight is great. It has a time and a place for a reason.
Find my harbor freight tools.
image.jpg

Sorry to say I like some rice stuff, harbor freight is great for some stuff. hutzl you get what you pay for and expect that.
You want a stihl buy stihl.
You want a husky buy a husky.
You want a farmertec buy a Farmertec And if you expect the same results from them it as two above.
Harbor freight is great. It has a time and a place for a reason.
Find my harbor freight tools.
View attachment 821528
That lathe... I used to have one. I loved it. I built all kinds of crap with it. I ended up selling it 4 years after I bought it and got 3/4 what I paid for it.

But, if you didn't make a living running your saw... And it was just basically a pastime, or a fun project.... Would it really matter? I mean, I agree that if a person uses a tool to earn a wage, then top of the line tools make sense. But to people who are just using them for personal use around the property... What does it matter if it fails in a year or two?

Actually, YES it would really matter to me, I don't earn my living, with my saws, But I do heat my home with them. We estimate that we save over $250/month on our Electric bill, as opposed to using our forced air electric furnace.

Also, as mentioned already to ME, it is NOT worth the DOWN TIME, to use inferior parts. I'm Not cutting on my own property, when I am driving to the Forest to cut wood, just my fuel makes a $3-4 Clamp worthwhile, my TIME dealing with a broken down saw is worth more than a $3-4 Clamp, I am there for a Reason, to cut wood, it is not worth it to me to lose cutting time dealing with cheap parts, if I come home with 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 cords instead of a solid 2+ cords on that trailer, spending $4 on a clamp would be a BARGAIN compared to coming home with less than a full load

As to This Statement:

"Most of the oem stuff i get has melted down (trash quality oem stuff always fails). "

I call Bull Schitt, you MAY get an Occasional Bum OEM part, but to say that " (trash quality oem stuff always fails)." I don't believe you for a Heartbeat, but of course, those Chicom AM parts are ALWAYS of the HIGHEST QUALITY, and NEVER Fail :laughing:

If a Chicom saw fits your needs, and you are Happy with it, AWESOME, Great For You, but to try and claim equal or BETTER quality, you have no more credibility than Christine Blasey Ford, or Adam Schiff. I bought "Old Reliable" my 266XP in '91, and for about 25 years, it and my 23 Compact, Top Handle were my "2 saw plan" before I even knew what a "2 saw plan" was, that 266XP has cut more cords than I care to try to count, and is still a Rippin saw. How many Chicom saws will still be cutting almost 30 years from now???

Doug :cheers:

Even if you’re not making a living with the saw, when your 660 clone ***** the bed/loses its intake clamp trying to stump that one big tree you bought it for, or are taking down for someone with your “hobby” built saw with half the back cut in, what do you do then? I mean, you could hire a pro, which if you bought a 660 clone for one tree you should have done to start, and they will charge you extra because you ****ed with the tree and it’s now in such a way they can’t work with it the way they wanted if they had just started off with it.

Sure, a Stihl 064/066/650/660/661 or a 288/385/390/394/395XP could also crap out. But there’s less of a chance of it happening. There’s a good reason the Stihl & Husqvarna saws cost what they do, and it’s not just the lower relative labor cost of Chinese manufacturing. Situations where life and property are at risk are not good times to find out.

This blatant rip off and intellectual property theft is disgusting, and it doesn’t just apply to chainsaws.

Even if you’re not making a living with the saw, when your 660 clone ***** the bed/loses its intake clamp trying to stump that one big tree you bought it for with half the back cut in, what do you do then? I mean, you could hire a pro, which if you bought a 660 clone for one tree you should have done to start, and they will charge you extra because you ****ed with the tree because it’s now in such a way they can’t work with it the way they want to if they had just started off with it.

Sure, a Stihl 066/660/661 or a 288/385/390/394/395XP could also crap out. But there’s less of a chance of it happening. There’s a good reason the Stihl & Husqvarna saws cost what they do, and it’s not just the lower relative labor cost of Chinese manufacturing.

This blatant rip off and intellectual property theft is disgusting, and it doesn’t just apply to chainsaws.

Yep, the Intellectual Property Theft, REALLY Bothers me, Husky, Stihl and MANY others spend untold amounts on R & D, just to have the Chicoms STEAL it, I couldn't in conscience buy a product that was a Blatant Rip Off like that, but evidently some can. A home developed cheap saw or other product, that is bought for a one of is one thing, a stolen design is another, at least to ME it is.

Yep, the Intellectual Property Theft, REALLY Bothers me, Husky, Stihl and MANY others spend untold amounts on R & D, just to have the Chicoms STEAL it, I couldn't in conscience buy a product that was a Blatant Rip Off like that, but evidently some can. A home developed cheap saw or other product, that is bought for a one of is one thing, a stolen design is another, at least to ME it is.

Here comes the story about a rep at Stihl mentioning them being in bed with FT/Huztl.

No one has gotten boned globally by the cloners harder than Honda.

That said...i sell an ton of those engines and the failure rate is the same as Honda..lower than Briggs and Kohler.

No one has gotten boned globally by the cloners harder than Honda.

That said...i sell an ton of those engines and the failure rate is the same as Honda..lower than Briggs and Kohler.

You mean a Chinese engine holds up as good as a Honda?

Intellectual Property Theft
There is no such thing. You can't own a thought. When someone steals from you, they have it and you no longer do. Copying an idea is completely different. Patents in the US last 20 years. Patents and copyrights are granted for limited terms specifically for the purpose of making works available for public use - the intent is that others _do_ copy useful things after the patent/copyright term has ended. So, do you have any evidence that Hutzl/Farmertech has copied anything which is still under patent, or are they simply doing what our laws encourage them to do?

I'm guessing you have Husqvarna one-man, gas-powered chainsaws. How can you live with yourself after they so blatantly copied the idea from Stihl?

Actually, YES it would really matter to me, I don't earn my living, with my saws, But I do heat my home with them. We estimate that we save over $250/month on our Electric bill, as opposed to using our forced air electric furnace.

Also, as mentioned already to ME, it is NOT worth the DOWN TIME, to use inferior parts. I'm Not cutting on my own property, when I am driving to the Forest to cut wood, just my fuel makes a $3-4 Clamp worthwhile, my TIME dealing with a broken down saw is worth more than a $3-4 Clamp, I am there for a Reason, to cut wood, it is not worth it to me to lose cutting time dealing with cheap parts, if I come home with 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 cords instead of a solid 2+ cords on that trailer, spending $4 on a clamp would be a BARGAIN compared to coming home with less than a full load

As to This Statement:

"Most of the oem stuff i get has melted down (trash quality oem stuff always fails). "

I call Bull Schitt, you MAY get an Occasional Bum OEM part, but to say that " (trash quality oem stuff always fails)." I don't believe you for a Heartbeat, but of course, those Chicom AM parts are ALWAYS of the HIGHEST QUALITY, and NEVER Fail :laughing:

If a Chicom saw fits your needs, and you are Happy with it, AWESOME, Great For You, but to try and claim equal or BETTER quality, you have no more credibility than Christine Blasey Ford, or Adam Schiff. I bought "Old Reliable" my 266XP in '91, and for about 25 years, it and my 23 Compact, Top Handle were my "2 saw plan" before I even knew what a "2 saw plan" was, that 266XP has cut more cords than I care to try to count, and is still a Rippin saw. How many Chicom saws will still be cutting almost 30 years from now???

"If a Chicom saw fits your needs, and you are Happy with it, AWESOME, Great For You, but to try and claim equal or BETTER quality"
None of us have EVER used the higher quality argument.
We have all been saying that it is simply a less expensive alternative. For people who DON'T HAVE TO RELY on them.
It's funny how our argument becomes your talking point.
As to the intellectual property argument.... Yes Stihl has the patent on their intellectual property..... That patent has expired on the saws which are being "cloned" which is why the 661 exists. They stopped manufacturing the 660 in 2014. They replaced it with the 61. So it comes down to the trademark ownership, which Stihl has. That trademark covers the "likeness" of the saw.....only. which means.. the color scheme. The orange and white (or grey, whatever it is) when it is in completed form cannot be sold in a commercial setting. Which is why they sell.... You guessed it... Blue ones. What they are doing is completely legal and accepted by........STIHL.

Latest posts

Back