Huztl/Farmertec clone chainsaws are ****

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
currently putting together the MS250 kit (yeah i know kind of a waste for a home grade saw) Then i have a MS381 kit to put together. ( i honestly just like building these things) Ive gone the broken saws on ebay route but i feel like they are always overpriced for what you get. If i can replace specific parts in the kit with oem and have a saw thats i can pull out every now and then and use then ill call it money well spent.

i would like to do the MS660 saw eventually but its way more saw than i need.
You can definitely find better deals by pounding pavement than on ebay. I'll pick saws up there now and then but it's not the plan. The thing with OEM though is in the end you have something of value. With that in mind I would call the kits overpriced for what you get.

You can definitely find better deals by pounding pavement than on ebay. I'll pick saws up there now and then but it's not the plan. The thing with OEM though is in the end you have something of value. With that in mind I would call the kits overpriced for what you get.
There are exceptions in the aftermarket supply line, just not from China.

Atlanta isnt known for logging so the best thing i could find around town are poulan wild things, homelites and echo's. no serious saws

Atlanta isnt known for logging so the best thing i could find around town are poulan wild things, homelites and echo's. no serious saws
When I started building saws, e-bay was my source. You can find good deals if you have patience. Just pay attention to the descriptions and look closely at all pics! My first build was an 064, I started with just a crankcase, and slowly built it from there. I still use it to mill big wood today!

I must receive different parts in the kits I order. That looks like a home Depot hose clamp installed by someone in place of the hose clamp that actually comes in the kit... I have never installed one that looks like that.View attachment 821388
I believe the ones you’ve been doing have the upgraded 7 cent clamp, as opposed to the earlier 4 cent worm drive clamp

Back about 10 yrs ago, I bought an044 crank and cylinder combo from southern Calif, looked like a pretty good deal. When it arrived, I was disappointed to find it had some holes in the crankcase around the chainbrake area, nothing that went into the crank area though, I did not know about the fact that palm trees will eat magnesium! Long story short, I patched the holes with JB weld, finished the build, and still use that saw today. It’s my favorite saw for most of my falling jobs as well as a great milling saw! I did splurge and buy an OEM Roll-o-matic .063 guage 32” bar and chain for it!

That clamp keep the rubber from melting?
Haven't had one melt yet. I've seen them split where they attach to the cylinder because it is sharp around the edges, but some Emery cloth eases that a bit. I should just send you mine and let you play with it for a week and see how "bad" it just "falls apart" in your hands. I've been running mine for about a year now with no trouble except for the decomp valve.... I take that back, the starter recoil was **** out of the box, but I put a different one on it the day I built it. So since then no issues.

Haven't had one melt yet. I've seen them split where they attach to the cylinder because it is sharp around the edges, but some Emery cloth eases that a bit. I should just send you mine and let you play with it for a week and see how "bad" it just "falls apart" in your hands. I've been running mine for about a year now with no trouble except for the decomp valve.... I take that back, the starter recoil was **** out of the box, but I put a different one on it the day I built it. So since then no issues.
All, and I mean all of the “ rubber “ parts will melt. You got a year out of yours, longer than most. The OEM parts are quite a bit more expensive, but experience has taught me there’s a reason.

I believe the ones you’ve been doing have the upgraded 7 cent clamp, as opposed to the earlier 4 cent worm drive clamp
So in your opinion, more money translates to better??? I would buy 100 of those for 7.00 before I bought 1 OEM clamp for 7.00..... just sayin.

All, and I mean all of the “ rubber “ parts will melt. You got a year out of yours, longer than most. The OEM parts are quite a bit more expensive, but experience has taught me there’s a reason.
"All" and you mean "ALL" of them in your experience... Which translates to about ......... 2????

It is a poor mechanic that blames the tools.

Yep, that's why Professional Auto shops are FULL of Harbor Freight tools :rolleyes:
Rounding off nuts and bolts, with inaccurately sized wrenches and sockets Really adds to the Enjoyment of the job:laughing:

There ARE some tools that are that bad, truly junk, clone parts too, I have read plenty of comments about poorly cast and machined parts in Chicom saws, I doubt all those mechanics were simply blaming the tools/parts

Doug :cheers:

By the time you replace the necessary OEM parts to make it run and perform at a respectable level, you might just as well buy an OEM carcass and do it that way, at least then you’d be close or equal to OEM reliability, and be proud of your chainsaw.

i hear what you're saying, since i already have the 2 kits ill just put those together (with the best of my ability) and see what happens.

my lawn equipment is composed of stuff i found on the side of the road destined for the junk yard or it was given to me and i rebuilt it. My honda lawn mower was bought new by my father in 1987. I just love tinkering and keeping things alive.

when im ready for another saw ill start searching ebay and keep an eye out for oem to build next.

So in your opinion, more money translates to better??? I would buy 100 of those for 7.00 before I bought 1 OEM clamp for 7.00..... just sayin.

When I'm out cutting, I would rather have ONE RELIABLE Clamp, that lasts years, than 100 cheap ones, that I am frequently replacing, my NOT BEING DOWN Time is worth way more than the cost of a quality clamp, YMMV;)

Doug :cheers:

I’ve actually never been in the “you get what you pay for “camp. And I use quite a few AM intake clamps If the owner doesn’t have any preference. It’s one of those parts that just doesn’t matter.
But the boots are definitely junk. They are more soft flexible plastic then rubber. It’s no secret, quite well known actually

Latest posts

Back