I dont know how you guys up north do it....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
Spent the weekend and yesterday up in several trees, a job of three big red oaks that needed to come down.
I climbed two of the three and took em down in pieces, several big branches hanging over the house and utility shed. All the while I was up in those trees freezing my butt off in 20 degree weather, i really wondered how you guys fare in this kind of weather, and even colder!
When the weather drops down this cold, I hate working in it! Even cutting firewood on the ground, I cant imagine how you guys work in it!
Summer time is my time to cut with that 90 degree weather!
I have read many posts on here, and seen tons of pics of you guys waist deep in snow cutting wood, with the temps below O, and I just cant see me out in that stuff!Emergency cutting, sure, but for the fun of it?
No way!

I'm the opposite...don't like snakes, allergic to bees, hot weather is fer beer drankin!...I don't mind being outside in the winter as long as there's no wind. Thhis past Sunday morning was a hoot slippin' around on the ice til the temp. got up to 57.
:givebeer: :givebeer:

I cant imagine how you guys work in it!
QUOTE]

You sound like a hibernating black bear, crawling into a warm hole when the weather gets a bit chilly. On the other hand, us polar bears, welcome the cooler weather and would never dream of pulling out our saws when the temp is above 40 degrees. You must not have many mosquitos buzzing around during the summer like we do. If we dared to enter anywhere near a woods in the summer, we would be a meal for those buzzing bastards.

Nice sunny day in the 30's is PERFECT for cutting. Don't even need a coat.:popcorn:

I cant imagine how you guys work in it!
QUOTE]

You must not have many mosquitos buzzing around during the summer like we do. If we dared to enter anywhere near a woods in the summer, we would be a meal for those buzzing bastards.

No ****, you would need a blood transfusion, not to mention the damn ticks also, I hate those bastards worse than mosquito's.. I think our blood in the winter is as thick as molasses, it feels warm out now at +10°. I won't cut wood above 50°, I'll do it in the spring or the cool days of Oct. Nov.

=reaperman;1362154
If we dared to enter anywhere near a woods in the summer, we would be a meal for those buzzing bastards.

Never thought of that, good point!:confused:
Arn't moss-quitos up north as large as Bald Eagles!?:popcorn:

GM

Last edited:
The worst above all else are the damn Deer flies, they give me a welt about as big as a 1/2 dollar, and they will bite right through your clothes or mesh type baseball cap.

Last edited:
Ability to dress up for the cold ..... yep.

Ability to dress down for the heat ..... nope. :dizzy:

Ability to get onto the muskeg trails once they're frozen ..... yep.

Ability to keep wood out of the mud in the winter ..... yep.

PS .... if the snow gets too deep just tow strap the loads to your truck/trailer and it gets a whole lot easier.

20 degs

Man I love working in the 20's or 30's but then agian I am not one for the heat, and bees and them blood sucking bugs

I actually don't mind the cold that much. I wear layers and strip em off as I go. This weather now mid 20's is fine for me cutting wood. I'm actually working a job just down the road (doesn't happen too often) were I can walk too work! Running a machine though Feller /buncher or the limber so it's not all that physical.

Reason I prefer this time for firewood is the grounds froze up hard and more than that, the blackflies and deerflies and mossies are froze up good! Much rather contend with the weather than them!

There is NO WAY I could live down south! That heat would melt me!

I was outside all weekend...35F on saturday, t-shirt and gloves. 20F on Sunday, I had a sweatshirt on...even rode sled for 15 miles or so scouting out firewood, the only thing I put on was a helmet and gloves.

It has been so cold this winter thanks to Gorbull Warming that anything above 0F feels nice!

the 20's are beutiful, -0 is when things get challenging. Any time you get below 0 it takes longer to get things running then you spend using them.

It's the wood ticks that freak me out about summer cutting. Once you find one on you it seems like you feel them crawling all over you all the time even if they aren't there. Paranoia sets in and drives me nuts. Anything from 0 to 30 deg. is fine with me as long as the wind is light. I cut last Saturday in long johns, tee shirt and jeans and it was 28 deg. out, perfect cutting weather.

Now if I had my druthers, I would take a 70 degree day over anything else, but we only get a month or so of that weather twice a year, spring and fall. other than that, i will take the heat!
Mosquitoes arent a problem here, had my fill of them back in Alabama. Summer was a bummer there with the bugs!
Winter here is great until Jan! Then its just a mite to cold for me to be out cutting wood. Guess its all what you are used to.

Last weekend here in upstate NY was wonderful. It was a little above freezing and some sun. Milled up some red pine, spilt some hemlock, got a lead on some white cedar, ice fishing was great – poor mans shrimp, took the kids snowmobiling and had no bugs to clean off the wind shield. I can’t ever say that in the summer with the motorcycles. I am not sure how to explain it but in the winter everything just seems fresher.

You kiddin me! I love draggin 100ft of 1/2 cable and chokers thru waist deep snow. LOL! Beats doing it in the heat for me at least.

Like most everyone above, the positives are: No bugs, frozen ground, ability to regulate temperature by adding/removing layers, etc.

Snow cover hasn't been too bad here, but when it is real deep, it is a pain having to clear a trail everywhere just to get around. Even with the 8" or so we have, there are a lot of blowdown branches, etc that I won't see until spring.

For me, wood season lasts from the week after deer hunting (end of Nov in WI), and lasts till the frost goes out in late March/early April. Anything that gets cut during the summer is due to fenceline cleaning or storm damage.

Don't get me wrong, January was a bear, cold and miserable every weekend, and I look forward to more weekends like last weekend in the +-30° range.

Steve

Nice sunny day in the 30's is PERFECT for cutting. Don't even need a coat.:popcorn:

Nothing like good nice winter weather when you in Wisco. Put the bibs on and a hooded sweatshirt and I'm good to go. Otherwise I get WAY to hot in 15-20 degree days. Most people think I"m nuts but my body likes cold weather.

Trbo

Back