I gave into the temptation today, and bought a new Stihl MS 362 R CM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maulhead

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I went saw shopping a few days ago, looking for a brand new firewood saw. I was looking at the 50cc & 60cc AT/MT Stihl and Huskys saws.

There are five Husky dealers in my area, 4 of them are at auto parts stores and hardware stores and none of them do any service or keep anything other than chain and oil in stock, kind of sad no parts support. The 5th Husky dealer is at a lumber yard and it showed on the website that they service them. So I stopped in; he had one saw a 240 and told me he is not going to be ordering anymore as he does not want to be a dealer for Husky anymore, something about how they stiffed him on some warranty work. I really wanted to find a 562XP to look at, but none of the other stores had one, and they didn't seem real excited about ordering one in. The closest dealer I found with a 562XP was 3 hours away, too far.

So off to look at some Stihl's (where they service them and keep parts in stock). Looked at a few regular 362's and 261CM's liked the way they felt. Told the guy I really was most interested in a 362 R CM, as I wanted a M-tronic saw. He said he can get one from the warehouse in a day. Called me yesterday and told me he had one, great this afternoon I went over there. One thing I really liked is the 362 CM's have a redesigned air filter. I bought it, she is a real looker. I got it with a 20" bar and RSC yellow chain. I cant wait to get it into some wood and start breaking it in. I have a project to finish tomorrow, but if I can get done early enough I hope to buck up some wood. Otherwise it will be Saturday. Pics are a little dark and fuzzy as my living room has poor lighting.

And to think I was going to buy a MS 290 a few weeks ago, until Mike from Maine started a thread about the top reasons NOT to buy a 290 ;-))

One question, I asked the dealer if I should run the saw at 40:1 mix for the break in. He said it wasn't necessary since the saws were designed to run 50:1. The only thing he told me to do is to be sure to do variable speed cutting; don't hold it at a constant high RPM for the first few tanks. I thought I read a thread on here recommending to run these new EPA saws at 40:1 mix because it will help them last longer. Wondering if I should run it at 40:1 or 50:1. Thanks for your help.

DSCN9897.JPG DSCN9900.JPG DSCN9896.JPG DSCN9895.JPG DSCN9902.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome!

The first MS 362 R I've seen, and M-Tronic to boot! Congrats on the killer saw. :D

Nice saw, you really need to cut full throttle for proper break in and mtronic learn. Part throttle not ideal. You can vary the load a bit by size of the wood and pressure you put on it. No need to baby it. I would use 40:1 even after break in.

I went saw shopping a few days ago, looking for a brand new firewood saw. I was looking at the 50cc & 60cc AT/MT Stihl and Huskys saws.

There are five Husky dealers in my area, 4 of them are at auto parts stores and hardware stores and none of them do any service or keep anything other than chain and oil in stock, kind of sad no parts support. The 5th Husky dealer is at a lumber yard and it showed on the website that they service them. So I stopped in; he had one saw a 240 and told me he is not going to be ordering anymore as he does not want to be a dealer for Husky anymore, something about how they stiffed him on some warranty work. I really wanted to find a 562XP to look at, but none of the other stores had one, and they didn't seem real excited about ordering one in. The closest dealer I found with a 562XP was 3 hours away, too far.

So off to look at some Stihl's (where they service them and keep parts in stock). Looked at a few regular 362's and 261CM's liked the way they felt. Told the guy I really was most interested in a 362 R CM, as I wanted a M-tronic saw. He said he can get one from the warehouse in a day. Called me yesterday and told me he had one, great this afternoon I went over there. One thing I really liked is the 362 CM's have a redesigned air filter. I bought it, she is a real looker. I got it with a 20" bar and RSC yellow chain. I cant wait to get it into some wood and start breaking it in. I have a project to finish tomorrow, but if I can get done early enough I hope to buck up some wood. Otherwise it will be Saturday. Pics are a little dark and fuzzy as my living room has poor lighting.

And to think I was going to buy a MS 290 a few weeks ago, until Mike from Maine started a thread about the top reasons NOT to buy a 290 ;-))

One question, I asked the dealer if I should run the saw at 40:1 mix for the break in. He said it wasn't necessary since the saws were designed to run 50:1. The only thing he told me to do is to be sure to do variable speed cutting; don't hold it at a constant high RPM for the first few tanks. I thought I read a thread on here recommending to run these new EPA saws at 40:1 mix because it will help them last longer. Wondering if I should run it at 40:1 or 50:1. Thanks for your help.

View attachment 328149 View attachment 328150 View attachment 328151 View attachment 328152 View attachment 328153

Congratulations, I picked up a 362 C-M (not the R) on Wed, was the first one out of the dealer. He had both Husky's & Stihl in stock (including 562 and 362), but the 362 in stock was not M-Tonic, so I ordered the M-Tronic model. The 562 and 362 feel very similar, but without running them it is hard know which is better.

Not sure what you are used to running, but I think you will like this saw. Not too heavy, and it goes through small and mid size wood (up to 10") like a hot knife through butter. On the larger stuff, it was easy to slow her down, but she cut fast as long as you let the chain keep rolling. I was waiting to post comments till I had some more break in on her. Another person reported that his MS 261 C-M got a lot stronger after a few tank fulls. I only have about 1 1/2 tanks through mine, and she is feeling stronger, but still not like the 70 cc saws I am used to. But it is much lighter and much easier to limb with.

I would run 50:1. The rings have enough trouble seating already with the synthetic mix. Making it richer my increase the break in time and the saw may not run as clean. The muffler screen is very easy to remove (directions are in your manual) and you can always put it back in if you want. Hope you bought the synthetic oil with the saw, it doubles the warranty to two years (go do it if you didn't).

Bottom line is it is a sweet little saw, light (compared to what I am used to), very smooth and it cuts real well. If the torque picks up a little more after the rings seat, I'll be happy as a pig in crap with it.

MustangMike

Thanks for the replies. I bought the Stihl ultra oil 6.4 ounce bottles. On the front of the bottle it says it makes 2.5 gallons. If my calculations are correct, if I mix it into 2 gallons instead of 2.5, that would make it 40:1?

I was pretty much set on buying the 261 CM until I found out they changed the air filter on the 362 CM. Then there was no question in my mind. That was the selling point for me, no question. I thought the wrap handle would come in handy for some of the contorted positions at the pile where I cut firewood. A couple extra cc's and power shouldn't hurt, either, over the 261. Hope to get many years of dependable use out of the saw.

Last edited:
As a dealer, I recommend to my customers to just go to work with the saw. They will break in just fine with normal work. I fall onto the side of 50:1 is just fine, even though I run 40:1 because I have some older saws and want to run all the same fuel. Stihl has designed these saws around that design consideration. I had a carbed MS362 in the shop today for what turned out to be a clogged tank vent. I was curious about the saw, so I pulled off the exhaust and carb to look inside the cylinder. There was nearly zero carbon buildup on the piston crown, and very little on the exhaust port. No scoring on the piston and cylinder visible from the two sides. Plenty of oil on the piston and rings. 165lbs of cold compression. This saw was run at 50:1 on Stihl Ultra since brand new and it has cut 350 cords of firewood at this point. A far cry from that other 362 thread. The owner hung out while I did the work and he was pretty impressed how nice the saw looked inside. He figured he made 300 cuts per cord on average and that works out to around 105,000 cuts bucking, and not counting limbing. For folks in these parts, that's about 35 years worth of firewood, all cut with a $700 (at the time of purchase) pro-saw. He walked out saying he'd see me in another 350 cords. The 362 is a good saw and I really believe the CM is going to be great also.

Thanks Mike,
After all of that, the M-Tronic starting procedure gets no mention? I for one love having only run or start on the '61. None of that primer, full choke, half choke, high idle, bull crap that flimsy saws need. :D

Thanks Mike,
After all of that, the M-Tronic starting procedure gets no mention? I for one love having only run or start on the '61. None of that primer, full choke, half choke, high idle, bull crap that flimsy saws need. :D

My saw started on the 2nd pull after the dealer put fluids in it. It started on one or two pulls several times for me, then when temps were under freezing it took 3 pulls. A little trickier than the 044 to keep that lever down, you have to let go of the trigger first (took me a little to figure that out, the 044 just stays down). I plan to play with it some more in a little bit.

How long did your saw take to break in? I don't remember any break in with the 441, it just roared from the start.

As a dealer, I recommend to my customers to just go to work with the saw. They will break in just fine with normal work. I fall onto the side of 50:1 is just fine, even though I run 40:1 because I have some older saws and want to run all the same fuel. Stihl has designed these saws around that design consideration. I had a carbed MS362 in the shop today for what turned out to be a clogged tank vent. I was curious about the saw, so I pulled off the exhaust and carb to look inside the cylinder. There was nearly zero carbon buildup on the piston crown, and very little on the exhaust port. No scoring on the piston and cylinder visible from the two sides. Plenty of oil on the piston and rings. 165lbs of cold compression. This saw was run at 50:1 on Stihl Ultra since brand new and it has cut 350 cords of firewood at this point. A far cry from that other 362 thread. The owner hung out while I did the work and he was pretty impressed how nice the saw looked inside. He figured he made 300 cuts per cord on average and that works out to around 105,000 cuts bucking, and not counting limbing. For folks in these parts, that's about 35 years worth of firewood, all cut with a $700 (at the time of purchase) pro-saw. He walked out saying he'd see me in another 350 cords. The 362 is a good saw and I really believe the CM is going to be great also.

Thanks for the information, you are helping two of us at once. How long on average do customers say it takes to break in a new saw? I have seem some people say 15 tanks, which would be more that 15 hours! My 441 just ran very strong right from the start.

Thanks,
MustangMike

Great looking saw, looks like they have done a nice job with the filtration system, that was the only flaw IMO with the 026.

Latest posts

Back