I gave into the temptation today, and bought a new Stihl MS 362 R CM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a little show and tell. (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

:cool:

View attachment 328586 View attachment 328587 View attachment 328588

Beautiful pictures, hope you enjoy both saws. I know what a 441 is like, but tell me how you like the 261 C-M and how it compares to the 362 C-M. I almost got a 261 C-M, but when I saw the 362 was available with M-Tronic I decided to go with that instead. Since I am used to the big saws (044 & 441 & my brother's 460) I think I made the right decision. The 362 almost feels like a Tonka Toy compared to the 441, but it is a real sweet Tonka Toy (Smooth & Fast Cutting).

I'm starting to think the 60cc saws are the "best all around saws" when considering weight, size and power. A penny for your thoughts?

That is a nice collection of saws, enjoy them.

MustangMike

Here's a little show and tell. (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

:cool:

View attachment 328586 View attachment 328587 View attachment 328588

That 562 certainly will not loose any votes in the "looks" department. I do like the lines of that saw, and with the Grey Accent, that is one good looking saw!

What kind of chain are you running on those fancy bars? I'm a fan of the Stihl yellow Chisel Chain (RS) myself. The easiest way I've found to keep them sharp is the 12V hand held grinder with a 7/16 diamond stone (the stone that comes with the grinder is crap). Much faster than doing it by hand, and every bit as sharp.

I'd like to port one some time soon and I'd offer a sweet deal. Shoot me a pm if you're interested

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies. So the general consensus is run it like you stole the saw and dont baby it for break in.

Running 40:1 vs 50:1 is a personal preference and is not going to hurt the saw (other than more lucubration) and make the EPA unhappy in the long run, but 40:1 would be better.

To answer one other question above the 362 R models do NOT have the HO oiler. I wondered the same thing and emailed Stihl before I bought this saw. I also had started a thread to find out if anyone knew before I emailed Stihl,

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/questions-for-the-stihl-guys.249918/#post-4647682

There are some differences over the non R models, but no HO oiler.

Friday was a bust around here to try out the new saw, too many projects going on, new septic tank and leach field, etc, and plumbers fixing/hooking up things and I was working with both of them.

Saturday we had a high wind advisory 55+ mph. So I just looked at the new 362 R CM and waited.

This afternoon (Sunday) everything calmed down and I was able to get the saw into some wood for the first time. I had a few 22-26" diameter Elm logs in the backyard I wanted to get bucked up for firewood. What better way to try out the new saw then to bury it into some wood. It started on the 1st pull (real easy starting system like xskier says) I let it warm up for a minute and I let her rip, I had the bar buried a few times. I ran about a 1/2 tank through it bucking up those logs. Then I was out of wood. I was kind of disappointed I did not have anything else to buck. I hope to go the farm tomorrow where I cut wood and run it through a few pickups loads of firewood to see how it does.

PS to xeriminox I have the same earth stove as you have, that I see in your background pics. Good stoves, it keeps my poorly insulated farm house warm.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Wow new saws are getting pricey..... been a while since i bought new.

I know what you mean, but like my Dad used to say, Quality will be remembered long after the price paid is forgotten. I also remember having "Sticker Shock" when I purchased my 044 20 years ago. I could probably sell it for more today than I paid for it.

MustangMike

Nice saw,congrats.I see Greek on the box,Αλυσοπριονο.I thought that US models and European models were different.

I went saw shopping a few days ago, looking for a brand new firewood saw. I was looking at the 50cc & 60cc AT/MT Stihl and Huskys saws.

There are five Husky dealers in my area, 4 of them are at auto parts stores and hardware stores and none of them do any service or keep anything other than chain and oil in stock, kind of sad no parts support. The 5th Husky dealer is at a lumber yard and it showed on the website that they service them. So I stopped in; he had one saw a 240 and told me he is not going to be ordering anymore as he does not want to be a dealer for Husky anymore, something about how they stiffed him on some warranty work. I really wanted to find a 562XP to look at, but none of the other stores had one, and they didn't seem real excited about ordering one in. The closest dealer I found with a 562XP was 3 hours away, too far.

So off to look at some Stihl's (where they service them and keep parts in stock). Looked at a few regular 362's and 261CM's liked the way they felt. Told the guy I really was most interested in a 362 R CM, as I wanted a M-tronic saw. He said he can get one from the warehouse in a day. Called me yesterday and told me he had one, great this afternoon I went over there. One thing I really liked is the 362 CM's have a redesigned air filter. I bought it, she is a real looker. I got it with a 20" bar and RSC yellow chain. I cant wait to get it into some wood and start breaking it in. I have a project to finish tomorrow, but if I can get done early enough I hope to buck up some wood. Otherwise it will be Saturday. Pics are a little dark and fuzzy as my living room has poor lighting.

And to think I was going to buy a MS 290 a few weeks ago, until Mike from Maine started a thread about the top reasons NOT to buy a 290 ;-))

One question, I asked the dealer if I should run the saw at 40:1 mix for the break in. He said it wasn't necessary since the saws were designed to run 50:1. The only thing he told me to do is to be sure to do variable speed cutting; don't hold it at a constant high RPM for the first few tanks. I thought I read a thread on here recommending to run these new EPA saws at 40:1 mix because it will help them last longer. Wondering if I should run it at 40:1 or 50:1. Thanks for your help.

View attachment 328149 View attachment 328150 View attachment 328151 View attachment 328152 View attachment 328153

Are you still lovin your 362c ? How long did it take for yours to get loose ?

OK, seriously, what do U think of it?

It has a different personality than its competition , the air filter is sweet , its kinda lumpy in its stature i dont know how else to describe it..throttle response is getting better as i run it , i want a 2260 without the bog , it feels like you can lean on it pretty good the more you run it , i wish it felt lighter as a scale only tells part of the tale , it would make a great firewood saw for bucking logs to length , i wont need a saw bigger than 60cc for this whole job the wood isnt big at all , i like ms 361s better but the air filter blows when you cut more than a few cookies , the 362c is awesome , new saws are waaay to expensive , workin in sleet sucks and diesel fuel stinks , bel ray is good oil but too expensive to use constantly , that girl goin into sheetz has an ass that could make a queer guy straight.

Those were my thoughts today mike.

THANKS VERY MUCH, You just answered the Million Dollar Question!!! The answer is what I suspected, but it is good to get confirmation. Had the 362 out again today (about 3rd tank of gas) and she feels very strong, but was only cutting (live Black Wallnut) up to about 8 - 10" diameter. It just goes through that stuff like it is not even there.

My neighbor is taking down a 20" Apple within the next two days, so I will get to see how it does in some bigger wood.

Did your 562 and 362 need some break in or did they just respond well right out of the box? Also, did you remove the screen on the 362?

Thanks again for the info.

MustangMike

Mike , that saw that answered your million dollar question was in the trading post after 1 or 2 tanks of fuel :laugh:

Back