I got myself a Dolmar 420

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
115ih (military) and 5100S (my own).

The 5100S is a very good saw, just not quite what many US (AS) Dolmar fans seem to think it is. It doesn't handle really well for limbing etc in the woods (limbing etc), for a 50cc saw. There also are some hype regarding the power on here, that doesn't show up in the real world. :msp_wink:

It is a very good saw and it is what US Dolmar fans think because they are running and loving them. Until you find a way to prove the power I guess all we have to go off of is the printed facts as stated before. As far as limbing they work awesome if that is all you have to use.

It is a very good saw and it is what US Dolmar fans think because they are running and loving them. Until you find a way to prove the power I guess all we have to go off of is the printed facts as stated before. As far as limbing they work awesome if that is all you have to use.

Well, despite the 5100S is rated at more power, my 346xp consistantly outcuts my 5100S, with the same bars and chain on both (.325x7, .325x8 and 3/8x7). Many others have notised the same - and the weight difference obviously is larger than the specs tell. The difference in handling is very notisable, so the Dolmar is only used for cutting logs at the cottage at this point, it never follows me into the woods......

Never trust specs, you need some additional input to come really close to the truth - and that goes for all brands! :givebeer:

Hey Stihl-Pioneer....Good lookig saw....have you had a chance to run it yet? I'd be interested on how you like the B/C combo. Also what is the power like with the european muffler and retune.
I'll probably set mine up similar just with a 16 inch bar after runing it stock for a while so as to have something to compair it to after the modification.

No, I haven't had a chance to run it in wood and won't until the shim comes in to space the drum out. I didn't even think about that and from the research on it I did nobody mentioned you had to use the shim. I am kind of glad it hasn't been run other than in my hands at the moment. Should have the shim this coming week.

The 5100S is a very good saw, just not quite what many US (AS) Dolmar fans seem to think it is.

As long as it does everything they expect from it, then I would argue that it is quite what its many fans seem to think it is. The same holds true for any saw.

It doesn't handle really well for limbing etc in the woods (limbing etc), for a 50cc saw. There also are some hype regarding the power on here...

As I've mentioned before, handling is purely subjective. I'm quite certain that you and I are different builds and arm lengths, so saying that "one size fits all" is a bit of a stretch.
As for limbing, I'd be willing to bet that my MS200 handles that role better than a 346XP, being almost 3lbs. lighter. I'm not knocking the 346XP, but it is not the if-all, end-all.
:cheers:

LOL, I use 50 and 60cc saws for limbing desent size trees (birches), and see no reason to use a sub 40cc saw, even though I have a 339xp (comparable to a MS200, but a tad stronger). I use that one only for initial thinning, and brush that is not suitable to use a bruchcutter on.

I've recently ran a PS 510 and the 5105, and they are great little saws. I personally wouldn't buy a new saw under 50 cc, but if it fits your needs. All the power to yeah.

LOL, I use 50 and 60cc saws for limbing desent size trees...

Thats fine, because thats what works for you. Far be it for me to tell you otherwise, and thats precisely my point. What works for you might not be what works for me or others.

Just as there are different saws for any given task, there are different people who have different preferences of what feels correct in their hands.

There are no absolutes the way you seem to think that there are.

I've recently ran a PS 510 and the 5105, and they are great little saws. I personally wouldn't buy a new saw under 50 cc, but if it fits your needs. All the power to yeah.

Both the PS510 and PS5105 are 50cc and yes, they are great saws.

Rep sent to welcome a new guy with taste.

Thats fine, because thats what works for you. Far be it for me to tell you otherwise, and thats precisely my point. What works for you might not be what works for me or others.

Just as there are different saws for any given task, there are different people who have different preferences of what feels correct in their hands.

There are no absolutes the way you seem to think that there are.

Surely, but no saw is becoming any better that it is, just because it is cheap - and that is the main selling point of the Dolmars, in North America (they aren't here, Stihl is the cheap "premium" brand here). ;)

Surely, but no saw is becoming any better that it is, just because it is cheap - and that is the main selling point of the Dolmars, in North America (they aren't here, Stihl is the cheap "premium" brand here). ;)

PRO saw+Great+Inexpensive = SOLD

Last edited:

As you are always fond of saying, the price picture is different depending on what part of the world you are in.

Being cheaper than its Stihl counterpart in the US is one of Husqvarna's main selling points. Often enough I've read here of someone choosing the 346 over the 261 "because it was less".

So that would appear to explain to some small degree some of the popularity of saws like the 346XP, being that the US is the single largest market hence provides the largest sales numbers worldwide.

Does all this mean that the 346XP is of somewhat lesser quality? I don't believe so... and yet this is the logic you use to pronounce the Dolmar as being inferior.

Nonsense.

There is a big difference between "cheap" and "inexpensive". Cheap is a box store Husqvarna. Inexpensive is a well built Dolmar for a decent price.

As you are always fond of saying, the price picture is different depending on what part of the world you are in.

Being cheaper than its Stihl counterpart in the US is one of Husqvarna's main selling points. Often enough I've read here of someone choosing the 346 over the 261 "because it was less".

So that would appear to explain to some small degree some of the popularity of saws like the 346XP, being that the US is the single largest market hence provides the largest sales numbers worldwide.

Does all this mean that the 346XP is of somewhat lesser quality? I don't believe so... and yet this is the logic you use to pronounce the Dolmar as being inferior.

Nonsense.

I never complained about the quality of the Dolmars - the pro saws are about as good as Husky and Stihl in that regard.

The saw brands charge what they believe they can get away with on each market, irrespective of the production cost.

I never complained about the quality of the Dolmars - the pro saws are about as good as Husky and Stihl in that regard.

The saw brands charge what they believe they can get away with on each market, irrespective of the production cost.

Really! You are something! Where are all your pictures of you out in the WOODS as you always say? Are you the guy living in your Moms basement in Detroit?

115ih (military) and 5100S (my own).

The 5100S is a very good saw, just not quite what many US (AS) Dolmar fans seem to think it is. It doesn't handle really well for limbing etc in the woods (limbing etc), for a 50cc saw. There also are some hype regarding the power on here, that doesn't show up in the real world. :msp_wink:

Agree 100%. I had to own one after all the hype about them here. I still have it and its growing on me some but they dont live up to the AS hype, just like a few others dont either.

Agree 100%. I had to own one after all the hype about them here. I still have it and its growing on me some but they dont live up to the AS hype, just like a few others dont either.

What hype, I know I am a little late but fill me in! Why I bought it was because it was 50cc, 12#s, 14,500rpms, and $379.99. Best money I spent on a saw sence the 6401.

Surely, but no saw is becoming better that it is because it is more expensive either.....And that IS the selling point of the Dolmars...I have no need for a pro logger saw, but for a casual user, home owner, that wants pro build and pro quality (mag case, adjustable oiler, adjustable carb, descent power, reasonable weight, home owner price) Dolmar fits the bill,.....for me!

Pro saw/pro build/home owner price = :hmm3grin2orange:

By the way my PS-420 arrived today. I got it but together but won't get to use it this weekend as the wife has "projects and yard work" for this weekend. Doesn't seem like it's any heavier than my 35 year old Homelite EZ. Going to enjoy this saw.

Surely, but no saw is becoming better that it is because it is more expensive either.....And that IS the selling point of the Dolmars...I have no need for a pro logger saw, but for a casual user, home owner, that wants pro build and pro quality (mag case, adjustable oiler, adjustable carb, descent power, reasonable weight, home owner price) Dolmar fits the bill,.....for me!

Pro saw/pro build/home owner price = :hmm3grin2orange:

By the way my PS-420 arrived today. I got it but together but won't get to use it this weekend as the wife has "projects and yard work" for this weekend. Doesn't seem like it's any heavier than my 35 year old Homelite EZ. Going to enjoy this saw.

Sweet. Congats on the new saw. I am waiting for the 5105 shim to come in and try putting it in. Tsunami brought to my attention in a pm that I may have trouble getting the clip on with the 5105 shim, apparently the shim may be to thick for the 420. It is .5mm thick and I may need either a .2 or .3mm shim instead.

Back