I got myself a Dolmar 420

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really! You are something! Where are all your pictures of you out in the WOODS as you always say? Are you the guy living in your Moms basement in Detroit?

It's not Detroit...it's on the other side of the Atlantic. Niko has his favorites and we have ours, I am a Dolmar fan myself but if you look past his lean towards orange saws, he seems to like Dollies just fine. I am pretty sure he has a little experience with saws, maybe. Of course he does like Huskies...I guess that's ok.:hmm3grin2orange:

Hey SP, great little saw you got there. I am curious to see how you like it with the new setup.

What hype, I know I am a little late but fill me in! Why I bought it was because it was 50cc, 12#s, 14,500rpms, and $379.99. Best money I spent on a saw sence the 6401.

Your way, way late. You need to take a deep breath here, just because you think its the best dont mean everyone else has to.

The hype was based mostly on speed but in the real world there not that special. Partner had 50cc saws in the 80's that will run with the 5100 wonder saw. My 1989 PP325 and Partner 5500 will whip a 5100. In fact my muffler modded Poulan 3000 will run right beside it as well. Other then speed there is nothing really special about one either so forgive me if I say they were way over hyped here.

BTW the price thing, well from what I see the way Dolmar raised the prices in the last year, that argument is pretty much out the window as there not that much cheaper then the other top name saws now.

That said, I spoke early of my like for the 420 that this thread is about, nice saws, just as the 5100 was, just dont make em out to be something that there not.

It's not Detroit...it's on the other side of the Atlantic. Niko has his favorites and we have ours, I am a Dolmar fan myself but if you look past his lean towards orange saws, he seems to like Dollies just fine. I am pretty sure he has a little experience with saws, maybe. Of course he does like Huskies...I guess that's ok.:hmm3grin2orange:

Yep, and his skin is pretty thick. So, if a newb thinks they are going to change the Troll, they need to take a deep breath and realize it has taken him a long time to get to 25,000 post, and that he has encountered lots of pot-shots in those years. I think it is better to ignore what you disagree with and soak up some of what he contains between his ears. His model knowledge is encyclopedic, and maybe he hasn't run every model he talks about, but if you stop and think about it, he has lots of information gleaned from the manufacturer's data and years of reading chainsaw forums. I'm sure you make assumptions about things you have no direct experience with everyday, and many of those are correct, even if others might disagree with you.

Your way, way late. You need to take a deep breath here, just because you think its the best dont mean everyone else has to.

The hype was based mostly on speed but in the real world there not that special. Partner had 50cc saws in the 80's that will run with the 5100 wonder saw. My 1989 PP325 and Partner 5500 will whip a 5100. In fact my muffler modded Poulan 3000 will run right beside it as well. Other then speed there is nothing really special about one either so forgive me if I say they were way over hyped here.

BTW the price thing, well from what I see the way Dolmar raised the prices in the last year, that argument is pretty much out the window as there not that much cheaper then the other top name saws now.

That said, I spoke early of my like for the 420 that this thread is about, nice saws, just as the 5100 was, just dont make em out to be something that there not.

Do you live with Troll. I am happy about a saw and you are just like him. I own two saws and cut firewood and the stihl dealer is a turd and no husky dealer either so Dolmar it is and can't be happier so leave it alone and go to bed, it's late!!!

Do you live with Troll. I am happy about a saw and you are just like him. I own two saws and cut firewood and the stihl dealer is a turd and no husky dealer either so Dolmar it is and can't be happier so leave it alone and go to bed, it's late!!!

Your sounding more immature all the time, telling me to go to bed and all that. :hmm3grin2orange:

Sorry buddy but if you cant handle the truth thats your own problem. Like I said I spent my own money to buy the 5100 just to see what it was and what it wasnt so that gives me the right to voice my experiance about it and Troll did as well.

Seems you also did but want to be the only one with a opinion about them that counts. Sorry it dont work that way. If you ever get a chance to run some other saws, you will then be able to see for yourself, that is if you care to take your Dolmar colored glasses off.

Your sounding more immature all the time, telling me to go to bed and all that. :hmm3grin2orange:

Sorry buddy but if you cant handle the truth thats your own problem. Like I said I spent my own money to buy the 5100 just to see what it was and what it wasnt so that gives me the right to voice my experiance about it and Troll did as well.

Seems you also did but want to be the only one with a opinion about them that counts. Sorry it dont work that way. If you ever get a chance to run some other saws, you will then be able to see for yourself, that is if you care to take your Dolmar colored glasses off.

I started with a Craftsman Wild Thing 10 years ago and it did what I asked for 8 of those years until I put a stove in. Bought the Makita 6401 as a good power to price option and love it, now I found myself looking for more saws on CL and picked you a few (old Wards, newer Homelite, Stihl 010AV, Stihl 038 Super, and a Jonsered 670 Champ). Well I sold them all and bought the 5100 and love it more than any and all of those, plus I have a 7900 P/C coming and plan on running two saws. For me it is just easier to run, clean, and sharpen two saws, as I have other things going on in life(wife, small children, land, work, and more). Well as far as running other saws I have time in on more than a few and just like the Dolmars as do everyone that runs them. One of my budies is a Jonsered dealer and a tree service and is going to try to pick up Dolmar dealership after he ran them, which he will be an awesome dealer if he gets them. Voice your opion away on ones you ran but Troll is voicing on things he has no room to talk and thats what gets old! I am old enough to make up my mind and penty on here helped me make it and you know what I picked. I like you guys and going back and forth with Troll, you, and more, that's what it's all about. You guys have a good day as I will be working on the house and checking in off and on, saw day is tomorrow:clap:

Last edited:
I never complained about the quality of the Dolmars - the pro saws are about as good as Husky and Stihl in that regard.

The saw brands charge what they believe they can get away with on each market, irrespective of the production cost.

At last! Deep down I always knew that it was just a matter of time and I would get you to come around to my way of thinking. :msp_wink:

Heck, I'm so elated that I could just reach across the Atlantic there and give you a big hug...

Last edited:
Surely, but no saw is becoming any better that it is, just because it is cheap - and that is the main selling point of the Dolmars, in North America (they aren't here, Stihl is the cheap "premium" brand here). ;)
Horse crap. They are liked because they are great saws. They also happen to be a great deal.

This handling debate, as was said, is subjective. I like my Efco but love the feel of Dolmars. Hate Stihl, but my buddy only likes the Stihl feel. To knock the Dolmar as bad for limbing due to handing is not a valid point. I think they feel great, so your dislike means nothing to someone else.

Also funny that you say (to bash the Dolmar) that printed facts aren't to be trusted, but yet basically all you do is spurt them to people all the time to make your favorite saws seem the best. Case in point, after you said dont trust the printed facts, you say you have a Husky a 'tad' stronger than an MS200. I bet my hog's party piece you say that from looking at the numbers on paper.

That class of saws doesn't make sence to me, when they weight that close to some much stronger 50cc saws. :deadhorse:

Troll has a comment that's chilling to the enthusiasm of some and the reaction is as if he had slapped their grannies. What, exactly, is there in this quote that is so wrong or so vicious?
Sawtroll has helped many people for many years make informed evaluations of saws, and if that's not enough for you guys to appreciate and be courteous, much can be deduced regarding your character. Some of these shots are quite ridiculous.
His conclusions you don't have to accept as your own, (I am not an adherent) but the weight difference is small, right?
OP- enjoy your fun forty! Sounds like a good replacement for my girlfriends modded 142 w 12" b&c. She has a 353 for workin but the little (but relatively heavy) racer is a riot.

Horse crap. They are liked because they are great saws. They also happen to be a great deal.

This handling debate, as was said, is subjective. I like my Efco but love the feel of Dolmars. Hate Stihl, but my buddy only likes the Stihl feel. To knock the Dolmar as bad for limbing due to handing is not a valid point. I think they feel great, so your dislike means nothing to someone else.

Also funny that you say (to bash the Dolmar) that printed facts aren't to be trusted, but yet basically all you do is spurt them to people all the time to make your favorite saws seem the best. Case in point, after you said dont trust the printed facts, you say you have a Husky a 'tad' stronger than an MS200. I bet my hog's party piece you say that from looking at the numbers on paper.

My 7901 is a good machine for me but hardly perfect. It would be nice to have a bigger fuel tank, my 28" b&c doesn't balance so well because of it's lighter powerhead weight, and the hand placement is a bit close. 385 husky feels and guns nicer but is heavier. Always trade offs. Different people. Different needs. No machine, no manufacturer is the end all. Still, there are choices to be made.
A 361/362, 460 and a 660 don't feel and handle at all alike. What is this all Stihl "feel?" What am I missing? To me it seems the 361 is a shameless copy of a 262 husky. What does that mean?
Troll, as have others, has been shining light on manufacturer weight and power claims for years. The numbers are not meaningless but one needs to be a bit philosophical in their use. His claim of the huskies superiority, I can't comment. Longer stroke, more torque potential? 200s scream.
You may perceive that he is bashing dolmar but I think its more shrug. Doesn't bother me. Why are you guys in such a lather?

Nemus- because he presents conjecture, speculation and just plain ignorance as facts, always speaking from a biased point of view. He is annoying people because he is basically behaving like the people we love to hate most- politicians. He might have sat and memorized every manufacturer's catalog from the last 20 years, but that doesn't mean much to me. I can memories figures too, but it doesn't mean I know how they apply to the real world.

When ST quotes specs from manufactureres, he is rightlyfully skeptical. But he also relies on the independent numbers from testing organizations in Europe.

He needs to post them then. I think he is full of crap.

Nemus- because he presents conjecture, speculation and just plain ignorance as facts, always speaking from a biased point of view. He is annoying people because he is basically behaving like the people we love to hate most- politicians. He might have sat and memorized every manufacturer's catalog from the last 20 years, but that doesn't mean much to me. I can memories figures too, but it doesn't mean I know how they apply to the real world.

That statement is just patently FALSE!
sawtroll IS biased toward Husqvarna.
In many cases rightfully so because they have an outstanding array of top notch products.
A lot of other people are biased toward Husqvarna (or any other brand that you wish to choose) and I just don't see the animosity toward them that is often displayed toward Niko.
I have to wonder if it is indeed because he has the actual facts to quote, while so many have nothing but their "gut feeling".
Maybe it is just that "Those who actually know everything are certainly annoying to those of us who THINK we know everything".
Just remember that if you want people to be civil when they disagree with you, then you need to remain civil when disagreeing with us.

Mike

He needs to post them then. I think he is full of crap.

Why???

I lived through putting the first man on the moon, the Manson murders and the subsequent trials of the perps, Vietnam, Watergate, Disco and the Carter era.
The facts are well documented for these things just as they are for sawtrolls product specs.
If you doubt the veracity of what we might tell you...YOU look it up!
The burden of proof shouldn't rest with us.

You are free to disagree with anyone here. I disagree with Niko quite often but when I do, I try to make sure that he knows I still appreciate him and his knowledge and respect his friendship.

Mike

Why???

I lived through putting the first man on the moon, the Manson murders and the subsequent trials of the perps, Vietnam, Watergate, Disco and the Carter era.
The facts are well documented for these things just as they are for sawtrolls product specs.
If you doubt the veracity of what we might tell you...YOU look it up!
The burden of proof shouldn't rest with us.

You are free to disagree with anyone here. I disagree with Niko quite often but when I do, I try to make sure that he knows I still appreciate him and his knowledge and respect his friendship.

Mike

I did look them up and posted it but he has his mind made up even though he hasn't ran most of them. I am not slamming saws that I haven't ran so why does he? He does seem to be smart and a smart a$$ too but aren't we all? Haters gotta hate!

Back