I know what is wrong with the saw, do you???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The crankshaft isn't tight in the crank bearings. The shaft is moving back and forth in the crank bearings.

Looks like the marks were made by the rivets on the chain. So the sprocket must have shifted outward say 1/8". Maybe the nut or whatever on the end of the crank that holds the sprocket on came off? Or maybe the bar shifted inward? Is there a spacer or guide plate between the case and bar that wasn't installed?

Last edited:
Looks like chain was put on to tight causeing it to seize up with side to side play into it.... Some one forced it causeing the damage ...?? :biggrinbounce2:
just a guess

Spun bearing in the case??

Those were the words I was looking for.

The bearings are quiet, but the clutch side case has allowed the bearing to spin. Lateral play caused the chain to ride up on the sprocket and wear in that pattern. These saws have brass inserts that the bearings sit in. When the last set of bearings was put in, it must have fit too loosely and the installer did not rough up the inserts to keep the bearing from spinning.

Scooterbum was close, but I didn't want to give it up because the bearings are quiet and have no play, themselves.

Back