I need a larger chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bane-Welker farm equipment, Wilmington, OH. I have a suspicion the salesperson looked up the wrong price. I bought the Stihl ultra oil to get the extended warranty, but I don't use it. I use Amsoil.
I did not know Case IH dealers were now selling Stihl. I know Stihl crawled in bed with Deere years ago.

I bought the Stihl ultra oil to get the extended warranty, but I don't use it. I use Amsoil.
Anyone can send me unopened STIHL oil for 'environmentally friendly disposal.' (in my saw) :surprised3:
I did not know Case IH dealers were now selling Stihl. I know Stihl crawled in bed with Deere years ago.
Duluth Trading Company also ('outdoor hipster' clothing for wearing indoors, i guess).

Both John Deere and Duluth Trading Company are big sponsors of STIHL Timersports, but I kind of feel it's like Harley-Davidson letting Budwiser into its bed after Bud went all Dylan Mulvaney.

FWIW, I gave up on ear muffs decades ago. I've always worn ear plugs when running power tools. I'm currently using Axil electronic ear plugs with blue tooth, and absolutely love them. My wife likes that I can hear my cell phone ring when she's trying to get ahold of me. Reducing the frequency of those arguments was my main reason for buying them, and they were worth every penny...

Anyone can send me unopened STIHL oil for 'environmentally friendly disposal.' (in my saw) :surprised3:

Duluth Trading Company also ('outdoor hipster' clothing for wearing indoors,
They make some fantastic pants. Most of us here wear them. Breathable, flexible, and quite wear resistant. Idk where the "hipster for wearing indoors" comes from.
Edit: can't comment on any of their other products.

They make some fantastic pants. Most of us here wear them. Breathable, flexible, and quite wear resistant. Idk where the "hipster for wearing indoors" comes from.
If you want, follow the previously provided clothing link. At STIHL Timbersports US Pro Championship 2023 athletes were wearing Duluth sponsored tennis shoes for the Underhand Chop...at which point i'm thinking, "You've got to be kidding me."

I also concluded that statement with, "I guess." as in, "...clothing for wearing indoors, i guess)." Hey, if that's not accurate and their $60 shirt over a $25 tee paired with $90 pants and $22 underwear with $22 socks is the way to go, heck, throw in a $100 hoodie-jack and for $320 you're pretty dang stylish. Me, I need that money for chainsaw pants. 😄

I will however store your comments in the brain box, because their stuff does look sharp and if it's well-made and lasts then it's worth it, thank you.

If you want, follow the previously provided clothing link. At STIHL Timbersports US Pro Championship 2023 athletes were wearing Duluth sponsored tennis shoes for the Underhand Chop...at which point i'm thinking, "You've got to be kidding me."

I also concluded that statement with, "I guess." as in, "...clothing for wearing indoors, i guess)." Hey, if that's not accurate and their $60 shirt over a $25 tee paired with $90 pants and $22 underwear with $22 socks is the way to go, heck, throw in a $100 hoodie-jack and for $320 you're pretty dang stylish. Me, I need that money for chainsaw pants. 😄

I will however store your comments in the brain box, because their stuff does look sharp and if it's well-made and lasts then it's worth it, thank you.

Just got 2 more pair of pants, $55 each. Usually wait till they have a sale , the pants I usually get form them msrp for $78.00. Which is too much. I wouldn't call them any more stylish then a comparable pair of carhart pants, just more comfortable, especially if I get stuck wearing a harness all day. Just can't move in that darn thing right. Oldest pair is going on 3 years with plenty of life left in them. I only get about 2 years out of a pair of wranglers anymore. Just can't find a good wearing pair of jeans these days.

Just can't find a good wearing pair of jeans these days.

I've been liking Prison Blues. Made here in Oregon by actual inmates, voluntary work program type of deal. Lets them learn skills they can use on the outside. Not just sewing, but ordering, lead times, supply chain, accounting, etc. Pretty cool.

Measure yourself and buy based on your actual size, not whatever size your pants that you wear now are. Leave an inch or two for shrinkage after that first wash.

Just got 2 more pair of pants, $55 each. Usually wait till they have a sale , the pants I usually get form them msrp for $78.00. Which is too much. I wouldn't call them any more stylish then a comparable pair of carhart pants, just more comfortable, especially if I get stuck wearing a harness all day. Just can't move in that darn thing right. Oldest pair is going on 3 years with plenty of life left in them. I only get about 2 years out of a pair of wranglers anymore. Just can't find a good wearing pair of jeans these days.
Thank you for the insightful information; they are worth the price. 👍

I can't speak for Duluth products, but I will say that even though it's hard to find them as low as $22/pr, Darn Tuff socks are worth every penny and then some. Doesn't really have anything to do with needing a bigger saw though.

500i handles beautifully and is compact and light for its size! Very light for its displacement. It felt plenty torquey to me and was incredible. It had one terrible flaw though. Starting it sucks. So much so that I put it back in the truck and grabbed my ol’ non strato 372xp. The xp was way low or torque compared to the 500i, it was also heavier and has less displacement. But ….it started first pull Everytime. I had to pull that damn 500i 4 times every time. F’ that.

500i handles beautifully and is compact and light for its size! Very light for its displacement. It felt plenty torquey to me and was incredible. It had one terrible flaw though. Starting it sucks. So much so that I put it back in the truck and grabbed my ol’ non strato 372xp. The xp was way low or torque compared to the 500i, it was also heavier and has less displacement. But ….it started first pull Everytime. I had to pull that damn 500i 4 times every time. F’ that.
Did you prime it. Mine takes 2 or 3 cold but usually 1 pull when warm

4 pulls to start a saw from cold is completely reasonable. My 500i starts with one pull when warm, no problem. Usually my 500i starts first or second pull when cold, too.

4 pulls to start a saw from cold is completely reasonable. My 500i starts with one pull when warm, no problem. Usually my 500i starts first or second pull when cold, too.
The one i was running did not. I was running a saw 8 hours a day for 2 and a half weeks, it was warm. No bueno on the 500i starting was a pita

Did you prime it. Mine takes 2 or 3 cold but usually 1 pull when warm
I ended up giving it another go a few days after I gave up on it because of hard starting(when warm). and no, i didnt prime it initially now whwenever i use it I prime it 8 times. pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump on the bulb and it starts 1st pull. Goofy af that I have to prime it so much if i want it to start right away but I guess thats the deal with these 500i's...... so long as you pump the bulb 8 times they fire right up. I didn't know to do that at the time. even if its warm and been running 10 seconds ago, shut it down and then pump the piss out of it and it fires right back up. "progress"

I ended up giving it another go a few days after I gave up on it because of hard starting(when warm). and no, i didnt prime it initially now whwenever i use it I prime it 8 times. pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump on the bulb and it starts 1st pull. Goofy af that I have to prime it so much if i want it to start right away but I guess thats the deal with these 500i's...... so long as you pump the bulb 8 times they fire right up. I didn't know to do that at the time.
The manual says to prime even when warm. I dont think its actually a primer but pressurizes the injection system

Latest posts

Back