I think I'm buying 373xp tonight..good Lord help me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still see chips in the cutters and rakers neglected. What are rakers set at? You also need to round/blend the rakers a bit and not leave the tops flat.

You can file chains back until the cutters start to break off and still have a good cutting chain. I even do that with milling chains. Need to keep the cutters even length and rakers in proportion to cutters.

I still see chips in the cutters and rakers neglected. What are rakers set at? You also need to round/blend the rakers a bit and not leave the tops flat.

You can file chains back until the cutters start to break off and still have a good cutting chain. I even do that with milling chains. Need to keep the cutters even length and rakers in proportion to cutters.
Ok. I was hand filing then I switched to using a guide. Also used the raker guage set to 0.030 I think. I don't care for this one. Seems like it doesn't sit right alot
I just ran it through a 16 inch log. Seems better. Maybe I can find some skip chain. This is full 93 drive links on 28 bar. Do other makes of bars fit Husqvarna?

Attachments

• P_20180907_144640_p.jpg
    P_20180907_144640_p.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 10
Ok. I was hand filing then I switched to using a guide. Also used the raker guage set to 0.030 I think. I don't care for this one. Seems like it doesn't sit right alot
I just ran it through a 16 inch log. Seems better. Maybe I can find some skip chain. This is full 93 drive links on 28 bar. Do other makes of bars fit Husqvarna?

Anything that says it's a d009 mount will fit that saw.

I'm not familiar with that. It says some saws have a fix clutch drum and others are splined

I'm not talking about sprockets or clutches. You asked about bars. Any bar that says d009 on it will fit that saw. Plain and simple. Whether it matches your chain and sprocket is another question.

I'm not talking about sprockets or clutches. You asked about bars. Any bar that says d009 on it will fit that saw. Plain and simple. Whether it matches your chain and sprocket is another question.
Yeah I figured it out. It's in my ahlborn catalog. Pretty good prices on Forester bars.the d009 seems like a oregon part number. But I understand now. Is there any reason to not get a 20 inch laminate bar?P_20180907_182408_p.jpg P_20180907_181514_p.jpg P_20180907_182151_p.jpg View attachment 673495 P_20180907_182208_p.jpg

There's reasons to do and not to do anything. Personally I haven't run any Forester bars. Laminated bars are cheaper and very light weight. Regular RSN bars are heavier but more durable and reduced weight RSN bars are light and durable, but expensive. Take your pick.

Oregon used to make great bars. I've heard mixed reviews lately. Really no matter the maker though, don't expect an available service life out of a laminated bar. Their bars aren't as hard as what some other companies produce. Cannon, sugihara, tsumura, and stihl all make bars with harder rails. They're also more expensive.

A laminated bar will do the job though, and a cheapo Forester isn't a terrible place to start.

There's reasons to do and not to do anything. Personally I haven't run any Forester bars. Laminated bars are cheaper and very light weight. Regular RSN bars are heavier but more durable and reduced weight RSN bars are light and durable, but expensive. Take your pick.

Oregon used to make great bars. I've heard mixed reviews lately. Really no matter the maker though, don't expect an available service life out of a laminated bar. Their bars aren't as hard as what some other companies produce. Cannon, sugihara, tsumura, and stihl all make bars with harder rails. They're also more expensive.

A laminated bar will do the job though, and a cheapo Forester isn't a terrible place to start.
What's the hard nose bar. Just a bar with no roller tip?
This thing cuts pretty good with a 28 inch bar. Will a 20" with skip tooth be a pretty noticable difference?

Ok this is funny as hell. I hope people don't get all upset. So I put the makita bar and chain on the 372xp. Wow what a difference. I put the husky bar on the Makita for a good laugh.
The dolmar bar has bigger holes for oil. And I noticed the husky ones are pretty small. Do you guys enlarge them? The oiler actually works with the 20 inch bar the way I like and the saw is better balance and lighter. I made a quick cut in a round really fast because it's after 10pm. It seemed better. The saw looks funny to me now haha. But I would rather use the smallest bar possible with a power head that's bigger than drag a long bar. View attachment 673532
P_20180907_225031_p.jpg P_20180907_224954_p.jpg
P_20180907_224247_p.jpg P_20180907_224505_p.jpg P_20180907_224216_p.jpg

What's the hard nose bar. Just a bar with no roller tip?
This thing cuts pretty good with a 28 inch bar. Will a 20" with skip tooth be a pretty noticable difference?

Yep, just a bar. No sprocket on the end. No reason to run them unless you're cutting down Palm trees or you got one for free.

I don't know what you're asking about when you say a "pretty noticeable difference". Are you asking if you bury both of those bars in a big log will one cut faster? Or asking if you use either one to cut a 18" log will one cut faster?

Going to a shorter bar won't make anything much different in terms of cutting speed. I will say that personally I don't run skip chains on short bars like that. It'll be a little slower and probably not as smooth. Grabby for limbing and cutting small material too.

Yep, just a bar. No sprocket on the end. No reason to run them unless you're cutting down Palm trees or you got one for free.

I don't know what you're asking about when you say a "pretty noticeable difference". Are you asking if you bury both of those bars in a big log will one cut faster? Or asking if you use either one to cut a 18" log will one cut faster?

Going to a shorter bar won't make anything much different in terms of cutting speed. I will say that personally I don't run skip chains on short bars like that. It'll be a little slower and probably not as smooth. Grabby for limbing and cutting small material too.
If you bury it in a log..anyway.
Yes..the skip chain on my 20" bar on my dolmar 111 is grabby.
I put the full comp chain and bar from the makita on it. I like it. The bigger bar wasn't oiling well. This one is great.

If you bury it in a log..anyway.
Yes..the skip chain on my 20" bar on my dolmar 111 is grabby.
I put the full comp chain and bar from the makita on it. I like it. The bigger bar wasn't oiling well. This one is great.

The saw only makes so much HP. So much hp can accomplish so much work. You can mount up a 16" bar or a 32" bar to that saw. Say you were gonna cut a 32" log. The 16" would only cut partway through from each side, but it'd meet in the middle. Each cut from the side would be much faster. The 32" is gonna cut the whole thing at once. It'll take more time than one cut with the 16", but it'll probably be similar to the two 16" cuts added together. See what I'm getting at?

What would be the easiest way to confirm this. Also is there a date stamp any place on these.
The story to me on the saw was the guy worked for a company and they had another one and it quit working so they bought this one. and then he fixed the other saw which had carburetor issue and he got to keep this one. It was purchased last winter I think.
Is your cylinder a Mahle.? Will have Mahle cast at bottom, could be on either side. Usually clutch.

The saw only makes so much HP. So much hp can accomplish so much work. You can mount up a 16" bar or a 32" bar to that saw. Say you were gonna cut a 32" log. The 16" would only cut partway through from each side, but it'd meet in the middle. Each cut from the side would be much faster. The 32" is gonna cut the whole thing at once. It'll take more time than one cut with the 16", but it'll probably be similar to the two 16" cuts added together. See what I'm getting at?
Yes. I just have heard alot of people act like a longer bar puts to much drag on some saws like more rotation resistance. But it makes sense to me. Other than milling I don't think I will ever need over a 20 inch bar. I like this saws balance better with a shorter bar. Still feels a bit porky haha

Nice looking saw and that price seems like nearly a steal. I'd buy it for that.

That chain is shot though. Don't bother with Lowes or HD, get a real chain. I use loggerchain.com, pick up a few loops and stay on top of sharpening them and they will last.
Looks like you need a 72LGX093G? https://loggerchain.com/72LGX093G-O...in-3-8-93-DL-050-gauge-72LGX093G-72LGX093.htm
I'll check that out. Are you talking about the 28 inch bar or the 20 I put on it from my Makita dcs642120?
The chain on that is brand new. Home Depot gave me a brand new chain when I bought the "dolkita" it's a full comp low kick back but it works well.. the 28 Husqvarna chain says 82 on the drive link and 25 on the cutter. So I assume 25 mean .050 thickness 3/8 pitch 82 drivers on a skip tooth..so a reg chain should be 92 drivers I think. I don't want to run that big of a bar. It looks awesome but I prefer 20.

Back