I want to buy a saw that will pull a 20" bar like nothing...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Roc

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have five usable saws all in the 30-40cc category. If I sell three I'd like to purchase one that I can slap a 20" bar on and eventually a 25" to take care of some dead trees at the farm.

I thought a 044 or Ms440 would be a good match, pro saw, good rep here but I'm kind of tired of Stihls and thought I'd buy/find a used husky that is equivalent.

Currently I'd like to unload my two Stihl 009ls once I fix the spark issue with the one. And my Remington Mighty Mite. With how the market is here with used stihl saws I can easily see myself banking $300 at least. I just flipped an MS250 so I should have over $500 to play with when I am done selling.

That would leave me with the following line up:
Craftsman 2.0 (Poulan Micro)
Poulan S25DA
And my new toy...?

I'll probably unload the micro once I get the S25 dialed in 100% since I don't care for the auto oiler on it. Unless there is a way I can get it to pump more oil... It is nice having a really small light weight saw.

The original style non XT 365 Special or 372XP would be pretty close to a 044 and do a good job with a 20" bar

Find your self a nice stihl 064 and get it ported it will pull a 20 like you never seen

I know you said your done with stihl but you havent gone big enough yet.

Dolmar PS7900

You can still find them NIB if you know where to look. If you don't drop a PM.

If you go with a 20 inch bar, be sure to replace the seven tooth sprocket with an 8 tooth.

Wanna real hoot, pop a 17 inch bar on a PS 7900 and throw on a nine tooth. The chips hitting your leg almost leave bruises even through chaps.

Take Care

I have a ms440 with a 20" bar and its my go to saw....it is way faster than the ms310 with 20" bar that I had before

Tired of Stihls ? Ive run both Stihls and Huskys since 1974. Stihl is a good strong reliable saw. An MS440 would serve you very well. Make sure to pull the muffler off and look for any scoring on the piston and cylinder before you spend the cash.

365 or a 372 if you don't want a Stihl, a 7910 will do it too.
Anything XP in the 65-75 cc range, really, just check the piston on any used saw.

If it were me I'd be looking for an 80+ cc saw. A 70cc will be fine with a 20" bar, but to pull it 'like nothing' you'll need to step up a bit from there. A 3120 would do splendid but it's a little heavy.

that V8 Predator chainsaw would pull a 20" like nothing, hope you don't want to climb with it though...:givebeer:

this will do it:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ejlOf-2Im1g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I had a Poulan 3400 (56cc) and like an idiot I sold it. It had a 20" bar on it and worked well for what I had to cut at the time. I have read many posts about the ms260/026 and most said I would be unhappy pulling a 20" bar. Ms440 would be a huge and slightly unnecessary jump but I'd never need to buy a larger saw for anything I ever do.

I will be looking into these husky models posted as I know very little abôut those plastic wonders :p but I am definitely not against trying one...

Latest posts

Back