If you could choose ony 2 chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had to choose between two Poulans, I'd take an Axe and a handsaw. :D

To each his own, but I do wonder why you would deprive yourself of some of the finer machinery that Poulan offered the wood cuttin world.:confused:

I guess my work would be well finished and I would be drinking something cold:givebeer: while you were hackin away with your Axe and your handsaw must be the 110! :laugh:

From my limited experience, my 372Xp and MS361 do EVERYTHING that I need to do to keep the stoves hot all winter. Great firewood saws, and definately neither are about to lose their happy home.

mezzzz say

old skool

pro mac 10-10 18" bar and full skip chain
pro mac 800 32" bar and full skip chain

new skool

stihl ms 361 28" bar and full skip chain
stihl ms 880 60" bar and full skip chain

I'd start boxing up her shoes , knick-knacks and pots-n-pans. She can have a pair to go to work in and a pair to go to dinner in, She can keep what fits on her dresser for knicknacks and lets see her cook with a two egg pan and a 6 quart kettle.

Of course this is a sorespot for me and probably should have kept it repressed.

A 40cc and a 60cc does what I'd need them to do without tearing out my shoulder again.

THAT, my friend, is the best eye-opener to the wife I've ever heard!

To each his own, but I do wonder why you would deprive yourself of some of the finer machinery that Poulan offered the wood cuttin world.:confused:

I guess my work would be well finished and I would be drinking something cold:givebeer: while you were hackin away with your Axe and your handsaw must be the 110! :laugh:

My only Poulan experience has been the wonderful rigid mounted Craftsmans that came back on a daily basis when I worked at Sears years ago. I brought two of them home, I still have them. True, they cut wood. True, they won't die. My hands also go numb running them, they run lousy no matter how much I fiddle with the carbs, and they leak like an Exxon tanker. I will say I've cut a butt load of wood with them! I drag one along sometimes with my Dolmar 5100 just in case I get it stuck, but I hate having a sticky oil puddle in the box of my truck when I'm done.

Is it fair to lump these new box-store pieces of junk along with the good old quality Poulans of old? No, but that's the only experience I've got! hahaha I was just being silly anyhow. However, I'd get all the chicks when I show up with my axe and muscles and you show up with a 30 year old Lime green chainsaw that's leaking bar oil on your shoes! :greenchainsaw: :D

My only Poulan experience has been the wonderful rigid mounted Craftsmans that came back on a daily basis when I worked at Sears years ago. I brought two of them home, I still have them. True, they cut wood. True, they won't die. My hands also go numb running them, they run lousy no matter how much I fiddle with the carbs, and they leak like an Exxon tanker. I will say I've cut a butt load of wood with them! I drag one along sometimes with my Dolmar 5100 just in case I get it stuck, but I hate having a sticky oil puddle in the box of my truck when I'm done.

Is it fair to lump these new box-store pieces of junk along with the good old quality Poulans of old? No, but that's the only experience I've got! hahaha I was just being silly anyhow. However, I'd get all the chicks when I show up with my axe and muscles and you show up with a 30 year old Lime green chainsaw that's leaking bar oil on your shoes! :greenchainsaw: :D

Hmmm, My lime green Poulans dont leak oil.. Must be something wrong with em. My Craftsman 3.7 version does however, lol, I`ll give ya that one.
Its funny, after a long day in the woods cutting, to sit down and read the many hundreds of posts on Arborsite, about which $1,000 dollar orange chainsaw to buy, and then the "Mods" to make to them so they cut good!! lol
Oh, and I havnt seen many chicks in the woods, let alone any I would want to impress, lol Must be hanging out in the wrong woods. I think they gravitate towards them orange & white "modded" ones anyway:dizzy:

If i could only choose 2 saws it would be a Husky 357XP w/ 16-18" bar, and a 372 with a 28" bar. That is my setup, an i love it. I can drop trees with the biggun and buck em with the little un'. With that setup i havent run across any thing i cant cut or haul.

Man, I gotta agree with this line up, exactly what I run, and I couldnt be happier. Run a 20 on the 357 and a 24 inch mostly on the 372, but got a 28 inch in the truck if I need.

Ahhhh the only one of these types of questions where I have exactly what I want... 357XP & 385XP. The 357 takes care of the vast majority of it and the 385 can handle anything I would ever want to use for firewood. Now if I can only get a 346 for the days when I'm really tired....

I would not change a thing. I have what I need, what I want is a different story. I am the kind of person who is not content with what they have, but too stinking cheap to spend money on something when they already have something that will work... My hand tools are a prime example, my Craftsman stuff works, but I would rather have SK, but I have the Craftsman, so why buy the SK? I have several 6 pt. sockets that are split down the side, but do not return them because Sears is too far away. A new set from SK would solve this, but I have a 12 pt. socket I can make do with...

Saws are in my sig.

Fair enough I have similar not-to-good experiences with some Mac's, and yes I know they made some humdingers as well.

My 3000 Poulan is Orange and Black, the Green was USA version, it doesn't leak a drop, anti-vibe is sweet, balance is great, spools/revs up great, and the chicks dig it! (My wife uses it and likes the weight!) We bought it new in 1986 and it hasn't missed a beat and has been used lots. I would go out on a limb (wouldn't worry about you and your axe) and say it was the 5100 of its day!:cheers:

Back