If you could have one Vintage Big cc Muscle Saw which would you choose?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been thinking a lil more on this and your all right!
It would be near impossible to find a Old running saw
with all those qualitys maybe im asking just way to much???,

I garage sail quite abit in the summer and from what you all have mentioned
the OLD MACS seem to be very interesting and i can see my self leaning towards that brand,,
Ok What scares me is i have not found any yet and been to many many yard sales!
Oh well im sure something will show up oneday...
But folks I have to be truthful i always wanted a older diesel saw too
once i learned of them,but i dont think a diesel saw would be a functional for me. but would love to try and hear one ROAR!!
Not just that to find one would be like winning the lotto in my neck of the woods~
As i read this post "The cold waitng hungry hunter mindframe" runs through my mind. ..
what do i mean by this? Is when im out hunting it all boils down to sometimes you take what you find or given and be happy with it! or STARVE!..
Or should i wait for that bigger buck and have no food in the freezer? Sometimes its not a hard decission when your truely hungry!
Ok back to the point..i feel now Trying to find the holy grail of saws or the perfect saw
would really be nothing more than a point of view or ones personal opinion
OR OR OR untill i used or tryed many saws out and cut many chords of different woods with them and then at the end of the week of hard wood cutting in say -40 below zero
would put myself and the saw to the true test...
Only then if i could still stand up tall with the saw in my hand running and still have the power to look for more?
Only then can i form my choice and opinion i suspose,,,

And this would be evaluated by many different factors aswell!..

As others have mentioned i have alot to learn yet im green,,
and thats very pleasing to me cause once you done learning you become dull as the old saw you found

Later folkz..

Sledrat..

I mean i want a saw i can still find parts for and repair myself to
and also i want to be able to use it for fire wood or general use.,
i dont mind some weight but dont want a crazy amount either ,,
Maybe im better off with a new saw but i really dont like the new look of the new stuff out there..it looks like chinese junk to me..

I guess im just fussy...I like the Metal look of the big cc vintage work horses!
Oh also i dont want to mod it out i want to find one stock..
Help me out please
I dont care if a saw a 100 years old as long as it works good and does
what its made to do!
Any advise on what saw im looking for is appreciated or what saw you would choose..
and thanks
sledrat!

According to what you want. Like the parts available and able to work on it yourself I would go with a Stihl 066, MS660. It is over 90 cc and you will be able to find help in repairing it and I think plenty of parts are still around.

Hard choices.......

I've been fortunate to acquire a few big cc saws and love them all. My 112cc Homelite 750 has 24 and 42 inch bars. It never stops pulling. The 42 bar is nice but I consider it an impulse buy and would have been more pleased with a 36 inch bar.

My 100cc Mc Culloch 1000, also known as a Partner P100, has a 28 bar and it has become my go to saw for larger wood. Balances out well for me. I had a problem with the oiler but remidied that with the help of my friend Sammy Nelson.

I also have a Homelite 9-26 gear drive that has 100cc's plus. Its a mostly there project that I need to begin working on or trade for something else. It has a bow on it and would be a heck of a runner, I'm sure.

Big saws are great and I love them all. As I'm beginning to grey, big cc's with a lighter weight make more sense to me and my body. When I can afford/justify it, I will purchase a large cc Stihl or Husqvarna. Lastly, I will also buy any large cc saw that comes my way in terms of a barn find or so on. There just too darn fun not to! Good luck, Max.

Go six cubes and fear no evil.

McC550002.jpg

McC790001.jpg

OP, don't try to find the perfect big saw. Find ANY big saw. Try it and see if you like it. These saws are old and fully depreciated. ie, if they are 30 or 40 years old, they aren't going to be worth any less if they are a few years older yet. So it is pretty easy to get all of your money back out of a saw if you bought it for an appropriate price in the first place. If the saw isn't a runner, it can become one or be an organ donor to help other saws live on. (used parts are the only parts sources for many older saws)
Keep looking. Estate sales may be better sources than garage sales. Garage sales are people cleaning out stuff they don't wan't. Estate sales are cleaning out stuff that the owner did want but no longer has a say and their kids living in the big city don't need some big ol piece of junk saw that doesn't run and won't fit in their Prius. Keep your eyes peeled, have the cash available to act quickly and eventually you WILL find one. Then take pics and report back. May take weeks, months or even years. Be patient: Be ready:
Good luck.

Ratskie,

those big old bruisers you are asking about are seriously mother ####ing heavy. They also vibrate really bad, and unless you are using a 5 foot bar they cut slower than the more modern smaller displacement saws.

They are fun to run for fun. They ain't real fun to run for work. If you just think they are neat, go for it. If you need to cut colossal trees, go for it. If you need a saw to get some work done, pick something else.

My favorite big saw I've run is a dolmar 166. I've run homelite 750, mac 125s, and an 090. Never got to run a homie 3100G or jonsered 111. The husky 2100 isn't bad and the pioneer/partner/poulan pro is the most modern and a good running saw. They're not much heavier than modern saws. I would like one for a gtg saw or something to put a 48" bar on and buck the whole wood pile at once.

mcculloch pm1000\partner p100.i will have one one of these days.thinking i would like to try a disston 211a

The 82cc 10 series McCulloch's are as fast as any newer saw, more durable, majority of the parts are cheaper, usually lighter, and easy as pie to work on.

[video=youtube;OuA0W9APlbE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuA0W9APlbE[/video]

I use then all the time firewood cutting.

Back