If you could have one Vintage Big cc Muscle Saw which would you choose?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[video=youtube;mKrejUhDUIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKrejUhDUIA[/video]

now heres a saw that i want i dont know why but i love that sound!!!

Last edited:
It is good to see enthusiasm about big old saws, they deserve to be dug out of barns, sheds and saved from the scrappers.
It is often forgotten that the old saws were used by men who thought they were tools, not the trophies they have become in this time.

Some words of caution for those who may not have much experience with them. They need to be treated with respect, they will not suffer a fool for very long and will punish stupidity. The power delivery with certain classes of the old beasts, can be quite violent, the heavy chain used has a lot of bite, things can get out of hand very quickly.
The gear-drives are a whole 'nother critter, even an 80cc can knock you down, break bones, the big ones are nearly unstoppable and will launch from a binding kerf with unbelievable speed and force.

It is good to see enthusiasm about big old saws, they deserve to be dug out of barns, sheds and saved from the scrappers.
It is often forgotten that the old saws were used by men who thought they were tools, not the trophies they have become in this time.

Some words of caution for those who may not have much experience with them. They need to be treated with respect, they will not suffer a fool for very long and will punish stupidity. The power delivery with certain classes of the old beasts, can be quite violent, the heavy chain used has a lot of bite, things can get out of hand very quickly.
The gear-drives are a whole 'nother critter, even an 80cc can knock you down, break bones, the big ones are nearly unstoppable and will launch from a binding kerf with unbelievable speed and force.

you just shrank a lot of big dinks down to size LOL!

Hear that young punks? Real saws will break you in half, eat you sideways and puke your sorry arse up without missing a beat. Better grow a pair if you wanna log like Randy.

Husqvarna 2101XP seems a logical choice for me.
Took the words right out of my mouth my friend. And O.P Vintage, or new the answer is still the same, one saw will never be enough. I am not just talking the collector side, or addiction side. Talking back up saw, or saw for a different function. Same size and model is just fine, but always need more than one. My 2101 is my go to saw indeed, and love them so much that't why it does not hurt my feelings to have three almost the same.

you just shrank a lot of big dinks down to size LOL!

Hear that young punks? Real saws will break you in half, eat you sideways and puke your sorry arse up without missing a beat. Better grow a pair if you wanna log like Randy.

It wasn't my intention to unman anyone. There is a great deal of difference between the plastic wonders and the vintage metal monsters, operators should be aware of that and act accordingly. If you are used to a plastic .40 autoloader, a 44 Mag revolver might cause some damage if fired improperly.

It wasn't my intention to unman anyone. There is a great deal of difference between the plastic wonders and the vintage metal monsters, operators should be aware of that and act accordingly. If you are used to a plastic .40 autoloader, a 44 Mag revolver might cause some damage if fired improperly.

I know you weren't bustin anyone. That was just my way of agreeing. Didn't mean to put words in your mouth.

I also happen to like plastic auto pistols. Only big bore revolver I had was Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt and I didn't much care for it. I really want an American Western Arms SA. But, a Glock or M&P is higher on the priority list :)

I know you weren't bustin anyone. That was just my way of agreeing. Didn't mean to put words in your mouth.

I also happen to like plastic auto pistols. Only big bore revolver I had was Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt and I didn't much care for it. I really want an American Western Arms SA. But, a Glock or M&P is higher on the priority list :)

We are good, but there are an awful lot of wieners around.

I'll let Randy bust me. I have the saws and can run them, but after letting a 797, 5500, and the 655 abuse me for the better part of an hour the other morning, even the 266 was beating me up for the remainder of the time.

That's the downside of driving a desk all day...

...The power delivery with certain classes of the old beasts, can be quite violent, the heavy chain used has a lot of bite, things can get out of hand very quickly.

I have never experienced binding one of these up and having it spit out at me, but I don't doubt it!! I do know the way a 125 with a good chain wants to jerk itself against the dawgs will get your attention. The difference in the way it feels compared to a 394 is night and day. The 394 feels like it is angry at the wood and wants to get to it. The 125 feels like it doesn't want to waste time getting mad, it just reaches out and jerks the wood to it!!

Speaking of vintage muscle, thanks to Aaron. Johns 750 is going strong, I know it's not yellow Randy, but anxious to try that bastard out! Fell this tree, vintage pic too;) yellow one one of Aarons, husky you know my favorite, and for metal fans only plastic thing on it, air filter cover, which is now gone to make room for K&N filter:cool2:

LOL!
I'm only a wiener when it comes to high recoil rifles, too many injuries to the shoulder, anything more than an ought-six in a full size rifle hurts.

Haha!

I won't tell you about the 35 whelen I built then. Cleaned up an old mauser action, ordered a barrel, stock.... had it chambered and drilled for rings. Spent a year fussing over it. Got it all finished up....loaded a bunch of 250 grain loads to test..... fired maybe ten rounds and then traded my buddy for something else before I had even cleaned the barrel once.

I learned I am a recoil wienie and I stopped lusting after a 375 H&H.

12 Gauge does not bother me though. Big rifles, no thanks. Just not fun.

speaking of -06, I am finishing up another M1 Garand in a couple weeks when I can get to my brother's house to use his barrel vise. It will be a cut rifled Krieger on a Breda receiver with all NOS parts. But 30-06 in a Garand is low recoil. It's a ten pound rifle plus the gas system soaks up a bunch of the push. I think Garands feel more like .243. M14's are even gentler yet.

Haha!

I won't tell you about the 35 whelen I built then. Cleaned up an old mauser action, ordered a barrel, stock.... had it chambered and drilled for rings. Spent a year fussing over it. Got it all finished up....loaded a bunch of 250 grain loads to test..... fired maybe ten rounds and then traded my buddy for something else before I had even cleaned the barrel once.

I learned I am a recoil wienie and I stopped lusting after a 375 H&H.

12 Gauge does not bother me though. Big rifles, no thanks. Just not fun.

speaking of -06, I am finishing up another M1 Garand in a couple weeks when I can get to my brother's house to use his barrel vise. It will be a cut rifled Krieger on a Breda receiver with all NOS parts. But 30-06 in a Garand is low recoil. It's a ten pound rifle plus the gas system soaks up a bunch of the push. I think Garands feel more like .243. M14's are even gentler yet.

I had a Whelan on a Win 70, it was a thumper. My .30/06 is a P17, all sporterized, someone did a good job of it too.

Speaking of vintage muscle, thanks to Aaron. Johns 750 is going strong, I know it's not yellow Randy, but anxious to try that bastard out! Fell this tree, vintage pic too;) yellow one one of Aarons, husky you know my favorite, and for metal fans only plastic thing on it, air filter cover, which is now gone to make room for K&N filter:cool2:

Those two saws look familiar. The PM700 is now in my working stable, and I ran that 2101XP a couple weeks ago. Here's the saw that put down that big redwood back in the 1980's. It was wearing a 48" Cannon at that time (rather than this 33" Windsor). The 750 is back with the son of the man that felled that redwood.........and is once again wearing the 48" Cannon. I need to get some pics and video of John running that old beast.

photobucket-15227-1338787370831.jpg

photobucket-11238-1338787410973.jpg

photobucket-11536-1336894387494.jpg

photobucket-1210-1336894370397.jpg

photobucket-1249-1336894296484.jpg

Like my dad always said, there's no sense in going backwards. He started with a Pioneer 700 and worked his up to an 066 over the course of 24 years.

Back