If You Were A Skidder, Which One Would You Be?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be a John Deere. Maybe a 720DESS. Here is a video of dad and I with the 530 hooked to the log with a 830 helping pull foward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YYmiEVS9X0

Ray

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1YYmiEVS9X0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1YYmiEVS9X0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Tramp bushler
We have to run our tractors on some steep ground occasionally. We load the tires with calcium. Take care of the wheels and you don't have rim problems. Our oldest tractor is a 1952 with the original rims on it.

MO-Iron

A old 668 C with 6068T Deere power. (Hate those Detroits)
Ken

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

Tramp bushler
We have to run our tractors on some steep ground occasionally. We load the tires with calcium. Take care of the wheels and you don't have rim problems. Our oldest tractor is a 1952 with the original rims on it.

MO-Iron
. Ya I don,t know how it will rust the wheels if it,s in the inner tubes ??????

Skid : what is a 550 Jack ?? Why leave the shackle on the blade . seems it would get busted ...

[QUOTE
Skid : what is a 550 Jack ?? Why leave the shackle on the blade . seems it would get busted ...[/QUOTE]

See page 6, that orange thing with 550 on the side is a 550 TimberJack.
perhaps the worst skidder I ever had the misfortune or running. They had no stump pans and the old style ujoints that were held on with U bolts that constantly failed. Repairing the driveline had to be done though a 6" hole in the bottom of the frame... and it just went downhill from there.

The shackles on the blade are 1 1/2", they won't break too easy. The skidders were used for scarification and did little bulldozing. However at times the operators burried them really bad and a pull point on the blade allowed you to lift it above the mud as opposed to digging down to something you could hook a 1" mainline to.
At first the blade just had the tongue added but the 1" mainlines are so stiff it was difficult to turn the mainlines shackle to connect to the tongue, so a shackle was put on the blade to allow more room to get the pin in.

Thing about Detriots is one only has to listen when wondering if someone is working in the unit over the ridge

Greetings from the top ( or close to the top of the world ).
How many of you load your tires with calcium or other liquids ??

Tramp, I've filled my tires with water, but for around here windshield washer fluid won't freeze and adds enough weight. If you use water add enough antifreeze to keep it from freezing where you're at.
It does make a huge difference. I was skidding on a little slope (46%) and I was having trouble keeping the rear wheels of my JD 440-b on the ground and had to use the blade a lot. I filled the rears with water & problem solved.
Those 18.4 x 26's will hold close to 100 gallons a piece, so I figured it added about 15 or 1600 lbs. It helped a lot with it being "tippy" too.

Andy

So if you were to be a skidder... which one would you be? :popcorn:

I would be any of the the Cat 530 or 540 series Skidders... :clap::clap:

Cable or grapple?

ary

Brown kind that sticks to cotton and stinks.

Grapple, cuz I wanna get in there and wrestle.:cheers:

TG88E, I gues, however as a longtime cable logger I've never been a skidder fan........

Any way, its a big grapple skidder as you can see. OK, its the biggest one.

If I were a skidder

Garrett 15A. Mine is Ford 172 CID diesel powered. burns maybe 5 gallons of fuel a day. I have pulled nigh unto 1000 bd/ft at once. Having run Clarke, Franklin, JD and Iron Mule, the Garrett is the best all around machine I have ever encountered, simple, straight forward, easy to work on, easy to find parts for, and definately can pull way more than it looks like it should be able to. As quoted from Vannatta Bros. site, "Garrett was famous for putting a 50 lb package in a 40 lb box". FYI for all those interested in Garrett, Don Garrett died last year, and his son Adam is liquidating what he can, the family plans on shutting the doors on Garrett Enumclaw by years end. Get ahold of Adam and get what you can while you can (i.e. manuals, parts lists etc. ) parts will still be easy to find, but documentation on these machines may be another matter. PM me for Garrett's Ph.# if you don't have it.

if i had to be a skidder id be timberjack 660 dual arch, but id rather be a tigercat 240b loader with a delimber, cause seriously....who wants to trip over stumps all day?

Well it was what I wanted from the start so I bought a 330 TimberJack . It has a 353 in it and is a bushel skidder . 1000 bd ft . or 1 1/2 cord of green timber on most any ground 2 cord Bettle killed spruce . It still has to get here .. The Skagit AT 13 deal hasn,t worked out yet . Anyone have a book on the 330 , mine is a 330CP Made in the mid late 60s ..

found a vid of a skidder identical to one I ran back around 77.

Its the Mountain Logger ML 200 with grapple and a line winch.

This one has a sticker on it from SOS equipment that was only a couple miles from where I lived. It may be the same machine I ran way back.

this vid was shot near Perris Cal. in 07 by another dealer..

got me all excited hearing that Jimmy buzzin. :) that rig was a blast to run and I would run it again today if there was any loggin to be done around here.

Mountain Manufacturing in Lynwood Wa. built these and their factory was about 30 miles from were I grew up.

Also in Lynwood was Lynwood Equipment and they were connected to Mountain Mnf.

Back in the 60's and 70's the were not many loggers in this state that didnt know Jim Bride and his logging equipment yard.

SOS (Greg Ostolanzo),was his son in law and his sons ( Jim jr and Scott),may still have their own yards peddling iron. Hard to say with so many yards closing these last few years.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SBRhHdbOqWE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice vid. Thanks for posting. Mt. Loggers were real popular out on the Olympic Peninsula. I think I remember 150's, 200's, and 1 bigger one a 250 or 300? I know a couple of loggers I worked for had them. Clarks were also popular.

Nice vid. Thanks for posting. Mt. Loggers were real popular out on the Olympic Peninsula. I think I remember 150's, 200's, and 1 bigger one a 250 or 300? I know a couple of loggers I worked for had them. Clarks were also popular.

found another ad. The early ones went by numeral like G, H, D .
ScannedImage-2.jpg

Back