Iowa Fall 2012 GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did indeed leave a box of parts on Pete's truck. If you still have it, hang on to it or start posting photo's of those parts in case anyone sees something they need. I took them along in the hope that some of the parts could find there way to a more useful place. I will have another box o' similar stuff when I get done sorting out the latest haul.

Mark

yep it's a large flathead! Yours? pm me your addy.

PS: it's my birthday! shot a doe and spent the day with my wife!

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had a good one.
I just cant think that someone in the GTG group would take that ignition,Nathan. Dont like to even think of it, I am really hoping that it shows up somewhere. Not because I am wanting to reveal how poor your looking skills are but would like to see this whole thing cleared up.

Ron

yep it's a large flathead! Yours? pm me your addy.

It is a screwdriver not life and death.:msp_biggrin: The funny thing is the reason I had that cheap set was because I kicked a door in at one of our rental houses. I was 40 miles from home and needed to gain "forcible" entry I then need the screwdriver set to put the new lockset in

Happy B-Day Nathan!

Pics on the doe and wife or it didn't happen! I was at the river playing with the two older boys from sun up to sun down, man they were shot(so was I)!

attachment.php

After that we dropped a large dead oak. The Jonsered dealer was there and wouldn't put my 7901 down. Hell he dropped half the timber with it.

View attachment 258681

Pics on the doe and wife or it didn't happen!

I'll work on a photo... I figured out my muzzy scope sights were off since I missed at 3 deer (including a nice buck) during this season. I was walking out Sunday morning (Last day of early muzzy) disappointed and a little down about not getting a deer and saw 2 does on the way out. Took a shot looking down the barrel (no iron sights) and got lucky with a solid hit...

No pics with wife since she wan't nothing to do with my deer hunting.

Well, I just returned to civilization yesterday. Killing 867 million baby Ponderosas took a wee bit longer than I would have liked.

The mystery box of bits and pieces were put on my tailgate by Mark. He said they were freebies for anyone who wanted some. I was the one who placed them by the fire before I left. Hope that clears up the mystery.

I really enjoyed meeting folks and looking at all the chainsaw p#rn. I had no idea.....but now I guess my cherry's popped on the whole GTG thing. The food was top shelf as well, and between the smoked pork loin, salmon, and other yummy stuff no one went away hungry.

Big thanks to Shawn for the awesome B/C for my old 394. It just looks so right with 34 inches of love hanging on it. Haven't run across anything big enough to test it out yet, but I aint holding my breath.

Here's a couple pics of some GTG action:

Never posted pics b4, so this is not formatted very well. Hope it works. There is a pic of the Gypsy Wood Wh#re's thinning adventure, as well as the biggest logs I stashed at my Dad's place for construction next summer. Hand peeled and rolled under the roof with a cant hook.....

Well, I just returned to civilization yesterday. Killing 867 million baby Ponderosas took a wee bit longer than I would have liked.

The mystery box of bits and pieces were put on my tailgate by Mark. He said they were freebies for anyone who wanted some. I was the one who placed them by the fire before I left. Hope that clears up the mystery.

I really enjoyed meeting folks and looking at all the chainsaw p#rn. I had no idea.....but now I guess my cherry's popped on the whole GTG thing. The food was top shelf as well, and between the smoked pork loin, salmon, and other yummy stuff no one went away hungry.

Big thanks to Shawn for the awesome B/C for my old 394. It just looks so right with 34 inches of love hanging on it. Haven't run across anything big enough to test it out yet, but I aint holding my breath.

Here's a couple pics of some GTG action:

Never posted pics b4, so this is not formatted very well. Hope it works. There is a pic of the Gypsy Wood Wh#re's thinning adventure, as well as the biggest logs I stashed at my Dad's place for construction next summer. Hand peeled and rolled under the roof with a cant hook.....

Glad to see you got the job done and made it back safe! Looks like the yota still has some life in it :good:

you know after seeing so many pics of elbows and backsides of everyone... I realized we didn't get a group photo! douh!!!! I was a little skitso and forgot :dizzy:

I just got a chance to look back through this thread and see that pictures and such. Looks like the good time I knew it would be.

Hopefully I can get a chance to come out that way again for another GTG and see some old friends again as well as meeting some new ones.

We did have a great time at the Poulan GTG over at Greggs that weekend and I got to pick up my newly ported Poulan Pro 475. That made that GTG even better!

I just got a chance to look back through this thread and see that pictures and such. Looks like the good time I knew it would be.

Hopefully I can get a chance to come out that way again for another GTG and see some old friends again as well as meeting some new ones.

We did have a great time at the Poulan GTG over at Greggs that weekend and I got to pick up my newly ported Poulan Pro 475. That made that GTG even better!

PP475 ported!! :msp_wink:

Nice meeting you at the GTG, how did cutting the small stuf down go? Did you use a trimmer with a blade. My back hurts just thinking about bending over to cut that stuff as I did it with a fence line tree and such. It is a ball buster of a job working so low to the ground:bang:

Nice meeting you at the GTG, how did cutting the small stuf down go? Did you use a trimmer with a blade. My back hurts just thinking about bending over to cut that stuff as I did it with a fence line tree and such. It is a ball buster of a job working so low to the ground:bang:

Nice meeting you (and the other guys) as well. I really enjoyed it so I must also have the dreaded CAD disease although I still have NO saws that are collector's items. "Production saws" as Mark so aptly described them.

As it turns out, the "Weedeaters on Crack" were the perfect tool for the job. Ended up with two of them (Echos) wearing 8 inch resharpenable blades. Absolutely horrifying how quickly one could terminate four or five two inch trees in one pass. Of the 11 acres of doghair, I used the Echos almost exclusively. Since the thinning prescription addressed all trees up to 9 inches DBH, there ended up being four or five tanks of gas thru a little 026 with aggressive round ground chisel. That finished up the bigger stuff in short order.

Roughly calculated, this job took about 4 man hours per acre to kill. That ended up being pretty reasonable and I didn't have to pawn any Huskys to get back home! I did get some very accurate advice from the guys over in the logging forum. Several of those guys reccomended the angry weedeaters for the job. Cumulatively, there are perhaps thousands of years of combined experience to be mined on this site. Impressive.

Latest posts

Back