is an extra 5cc's worth paying $250 more?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have to agree with all the guys that prefer the 200T over the 192 and echos. we have used all these saws and everyone on our crew prefers the 200 hands down. the controls, such as the off switch, are better placed, the saw doesnt bog down as much as the 192 or echos, and it seems to be much more durable. you get what you pay for. if you have the money go for the best saw which is the 200T

I scored a 192T almost new for $230 on ebay, and had ehp mod it. He didn't charge me much as, like the 335/338's, it's design doesn't allow full mods to be made. But I really like the saw, though it is kinda flimsy. It now cuts about as fast as a bone stock 200T in small wood. The missing 19 ounces is really noticable.

The new Echos have motors about the same size as a 200T, and the saws look bulky, plus they are now heavier. The few user reports I've heard say the larger echo has good power. Likely still behind the 200 and 335 by quite a bit. My old 3400 Echo, now stolen, cut well with its muffler modded. Echos have traditionaly lasted a long time.

I still prefer the Huskys over the 200T. Most of mine now run well, and cut on a par or better than the 200 (stock but muffler screen removed), but only if the muffler has been modded. Spark plug cover is the only aggravation, but some tape fixes that, and I recall someone saying a cover off a weed whacker Husky could be made to fit--and stay on...

Treeminator, you make foolish comparisons. One, that Crapsman is not even in the same class as the 200T. It is not a specialized climb saw, is heavier, and will not last. And, no way would it even come close to a properly maintained and tuned 440. The one has 5.4 hp, the other about 2.4......

Also, just because cc's are about the same, doesn't mean two different saws will cut the same...or last the same time. Most small climb saws utilize reed valves, and are gutless compared to the Husky 33x series and 200T...

How about the new red max ive been seeing on the market. Any reports on them are they better than echos?

many of you stated the STIHL's will last far longer than a Craftsman. how long are you talking. i use saws 3 days a week in my biz.

i still think it's better to buy 4 Craftsman saws instead of 1 STIHL. this way they can get stolen, broken, or repaired and you will always have back ups.

my 440 cuts the same as my Craftsman.

treeminator said:
many of you stated the STIHL's will last far longer than a Craftsman. how long are you talking. i use saws 3 days a week in my biz.

i still think it's better to buy 4 Craftsman saws instead of 1 STIHL. this way they can get stolen, broken, or repaired and you will always have back ups.

Good mentality. I wish I had a chance to work for your hack of an operation. The fact that you need 4 craftsmans to equal one Stihl says alot.

440 is about the same thing as a husky 372. Unless you have some rebadged stihl or huskie pro saw, you don't have a clue. Drop that craftsman out of a truck bed. (about 4-5 foot off the ground) and see what happens. Nice antivibe they have to. I'm sure you run low kickback chain also? Like Dan said, how much you want for that 044/MS440? Could you buy an 066/MS660 to try against you crapshoot saw and then sell it to me? I might even trade you 2 or 3 of them if I can find that many that run.

Freakingstang said:
Good mentality. I wish I had a chance to work for your hack of an operation. The fact that you need 4 craftsmans to equal one Stihl says alot.

440 is about the same thing as a husky 372. Unless you have some rebadged stihl or huskie pro saw, you don't have a clue. Drop that craftsman out of a truck bed. (about 4-5 foot off the ground) and see what happens. Nice antivibe they have to. I'm sure you run low kickback chain also? Like Dan said, how much you want for that 044/MS440? Could you buy an 066/MS660 to try against you crapshoot saw and then sell it to me? I might even trade you 2 or 3 of them if I can find that many that run.

wow, there's some serious brainwashing going on. STIHL's marketing team really did a good job over the past few years. seriously guys.

i don't know about the 200T but i can say that i have been very lucky that I bought one of the indestructable models of the338xpt:clap:

GAS AND OIL let her Ripp.

Let me be honest; i do use C.Man wenches and other hand tools; but my mechanic is real stupid; he demands SnapOn; so i guess i shouldn't trust him. He even prefers the latters calenders; hard to figure; all calenders have the dates on them!

Last edited:
treeminator said:
the STIHL 200T is like 35cc and priced over $500.
the ECHO (climber) and STIHL 192(?) are like 30cc to 32cc's, but less than $250.
why are people still paying for the 200T's when they can get the others for half price?
You have had your question answered for you but you persist in idiocy. Put down the glass pipe.

treeminator said:

Nobody is going to steal the craftsman( thieces are smarter than THAT) Broken will happen and four broke saws cut NO wood. Repaired now you really have youself BSed you can't repair those diposible dung heaps. Money does not buy skill, tools do not equal skill but skilled hands with quality tools and professional etiquette do make for quality work. When your skill advances you may appeciate this. May I sugggest you find your 440 manual, page 26 and 27 deal with mounting your bar and chain, page 32 describes releasing the chain brake, pages50-53 describe chain sharpening. Start there and open your mind and let your skills grow. I will asume you know how to start the 440.

No one has mentioned this yet, so I thought I'd bring it up. The price difference in the Stihl is because it is still made in Germany. It's called an import tax. That being said, it is what I fly with.

Mike Maas said:
The ms200t is about twice as fast as the Echo 340. It'll also outlast it 2 to 1.
What is your basis for this statement? Have you run a stilh ms200t for a hundred hours and an echo 340 for 200 hours. Oopps. Your post must be based on conjecture. I'll be waiting many months for the experience to temper the conjecture about these climbing saws. In the mean time, tell me what other echos are really bad saws. Thanks for your responses...ahead of time.:dizzy:

16gauge,
your list of saws suggests you have tried alot of different brands. can you do a quick run down and price/quality/practicality comparison review for all the folks here. thanks.

Latest posts

Back