It's starting - New California law bans ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The firewood business will be booming here this winter!! I need to get a new woodstove before our "leader" outlaws them.
It's booming right now even in the midlands. Almost all of my customers doubled their truckload orders. I'm already stocked out based on the back orders alone. I never called them; they called me.

And the power in the shop is generated by..... in the USA, most likely a coal burning power plant. Yeah, that's helping. Plug-in stuff does nothing more than move the emissions. In fact, it might even make things worse. Granted, there are likely efficiency gains in the generation due to the scale, but transmission and conversion losses will burn into those pretty quickly.
This isn't accurate at all.

Even charged from a power plant burning coal, battery electric stuff is far more efficient for the fuel used, and has far better emissions. ~90% generation efficiency, 95% transmission efficiency, ~90% point of use efficiency, even all that added up, still absolutely destroys the ~30% efficiency of the internal combustion engine.

There are plenty of real hurdles to overcome with battery electric technology, no need to inflate non-existent ones.

This isn't accurate at all.

Even charged from a power plant burning coal, battery electric stuff is far more efficient for the fuel used, and has far better emissions. ~90% generation efficiency, 95% transmission efficiency, ~90% point of use efficiency, even all that added up, still absolutely destroys the ~30% efficiency of the internal combustion engine.

There are plenty of real hurdles to overcome with battery electric technology, no need to inflate non-existent ones.

I'd be interested to hear where you're getting these figures. According to this:

https://www.brighthubengineering.co...are-the-efficiency-of-different-power-plants/
the thermal efficiency of coal-fired power plants doesn't even reach 50%. And then there are the losses in generation, transmission, end-use, etc...

https://www.powermag.com/understanding-coal-power-plant-heat-rate-and-efficiency/

I'd be interested to hear where you're getting these figures. According to this:

https://www.brighthubengineering.co...are-the-efficiency-of-different-power-plants/
the thermal efficiency of coal-fired power plants doesn't even reach 50%. And then there are the losses in generation, transmission, end-use, etc...

https://www.powermag.com/understanding-coal-power-plant-heat-rate-and-efficiency/
I'll have to look up where I found that. These numbers wouldn't necessarily change my opinion, though.

@bwalker How much electricity is used to produce a gallon of gasoline?

Ultimately, I also don't care. Produce 2x as much carbon or burn 2x as more fuel so I can mow my lawn with a battery mower, I don't care. What I care about, is that I pop in a battery, push a button, and am mowing.

Also factor in the cost and energy involved in the battery production and usage, and the impact on the enviroment from everything involved there.
yes batteries will need to be 100% recyclable, but ev,s have proved that power, range and 10yr life is already here

Anyone have a petition
Are petitions even LEGAL anymore? Anything I disagree with is hereby HATE SPEECH and henceforth ILLEGAL.
Why do you hate polar bears and BIPOC?
protest.gif
protest.gif
protest.gif
RACIST!!! NAZI!! FASCIST!!! HITLER!!
protest.gif
protest.gif
protest.gif

Just read no gas operated power equipment by 2024 in California? Is this true? Battery power?

yes batteries will need to be 100% recyclable, but ev,s have proved that power, range and 10yr life is already here
What range are you speaking of? 200 odd miles off a charge is hardly any sort of range. Most of your hybrid vehicles wouldn't even hit that metric on battery alone. 10 year life is also subjective to charge/ discharge cycles. Ever seen a first gen leaf on the road? Nope. Chevy wanted all of them back. Ever find out how much a battery replacement was in a first generation prius? Almost $6k for the battery alone. Car wasn't even 10 years old. Your figures are very skewed. It's nice to live with the thought of happy free energy and clean up the world, but the fact of the matter is we arnt there yet. The grid can barely handle what we have now, let alone the sag its gonna get with your battery powered paradise your looking for. Go do some research for your self.

What range are you speaking of? 200 odd miles off a charge is hardly any sort of range. Most of your hybrid vehicles wouldn't even hit that metric on battery alone. 10 year life is also subjective to charge/ discharge cycles. Ever seen a first gen leaf on the road? Nope. Chevy wanted all of them back. Ever find out how much a battery replacement was in a first generation prius? Almost $6k for the battery alone. Car wasn't even 10 years old. Your figures are very skewed. It's nice to live with the thought of happy free energy and clean up the world, but the fact of the matter is we arnt there yet. The grid can barely handle what we have now, let alone the sag its gonna get with your battery powered paradise your looking for. Go do some research for your self.
no the grids are severely lacking, the cars are there tho, and dinosaur countries will be left behind by many years

I want to see a battery powered saw equal to a MS880. The law has good intentions. But, as we all know, career politicians, regardless, right, left or center have any practical experience in anything.
We have a long way to go before we stop with petroleum. It's in everything in our lives.

Looks like you're right, I'm wayyyyyyyyy off. Wonder where I found the 90% number that I had in my head.

Most efficient power plant ever is a gas turbine plant in Japan, which got to 68%. Most coal plants are indeed no better than a normal internal combustion engine.

Bring on nukes and power too cheap to meter.

Cali has 10% of the lifting to do. (by population) I Don't think too many guys on here realize who is going to make up the other 90% cut of G-H emissions for Global USA?
UK sighed in 2019 to reach net-zero G-H emissions by 2050 and has challenged other global leading countries to do just that.
The COP 26 will be soon in Glagow , then we will see if there is a sig
No diesel or petrol cars by 2030 to make a 68% Reduction...+++
20% reduction in livestock replaced with trees...

I wouldn't be concerned about a chainsaw as a civilian. For companies then they will surely have a grandfather clause in place, but you will have to pay. Same with be when they put the deadline on fuel-vehicles.They are doing it in London already. More a money grab. Zero emission zones. They charge 15 to go through but it saves you a long drive. More fuel is burned. If the state have a surplus (come under) then they get a carbon credits for every metric tonne of carbon emissions and G-H gasses kept out of the atmosphere for a year.
If other states/countries/corp are short then they buy with corp profit or city fines so as a whole, each country makes there commitment.

Back