Jonsered 2159 finicky starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil21502

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So, my saw has about 7 tanks through it. A few days ago after some noodling the chain would still be moving at an idle after u brought it out of the cut. A quick burp of the throttle and it would be fine. Today when using it after it was warm and I'd go to restart it, it would start but die if u hit the throttle. After a lil throttle feathering it would be fine. Any ideas? Same exact results for two days now. Same symptoms. Only thing that is different is the temperature. Only had used the saw when it was cold b4 but this week has been in the 70's.
Thanks for any info

I cut the limiter tabs off since they were maxed out from the factory. When u guys say a richen up the low setting a tad about how much do u turn the screw?

Just go about 1/8 turn each time until the throttle response is good and it starts with 1 pull when its warm you mightneed to adjust the idle too after the L is set.

K ill try it. Has me confused cause once u get it past the initial throttle feathering to get it running it runs fine till u shut it off. Can go from a stand still to wide open and it runs awesome.

It does that because its not getting enough fuel on the low end of the RPM's but the H is ok so it runs fine at high RPM's

Got that but once u get past the initial dying phase by feathering the throttle u can go back to idle and hit the throttle and it accelerates fine. Till u shut it off for a few minutes and then the whole process starts over. That's what had me confused.

Talked to the dealership 2day after work and he's gonna give it a once over on Monday or Tuesday next week when I'm off. He's thinking like u guys said that the carb needs adjusted. I'll keep ya's posted.

Carb has been adjusted by the dealership and is still doing the same thing. Went as far on my end as to buy a tach to double check settings...runs awesome till hot and then when u shut it off and restart it, it wants to die unless u feather the throttle to get it goin. Anymore ideas or does it still have to be the low screw?

I cut the limiter tabs off since they were maxed out from the factory. When u guys say a richen up the low setting a tad about how much do u turn the screw?

Since you had the carb removed for deleting the limiter tabs you may want to go back in to make sure you installed everything correctly and no damage to the adjustment screws, fuel line, electrical wires, throttle linkage, intake gaskets etc......................Make sure all your mounting bolts are tight when reassembled

Adjusted the low side about an 1/8" richer and reset the idle. Should u have to adjust the high side again? Noticed with the tach it's hard to get the saw to pull more than 13,100 unles u turn the screw way lean compared to factory settings. Shouldn't be right with a muffler mod should it? Starting raining before I got to test the saw out to see if it helped my issues.

Last edited:
Heard that. So should I lean it out till it pulls 13500 out of a cut or leave it be? Idle is set right around 2700

Saw is doin better. To pull 13,500 rpms tho had to turn the h screw clockwise a half turn from stock setting. L screw has been turned a quarter turn counter clockwise to help with bogging problem. Sound right?

I'm far, far from a carb expert, and I don't have any muffler modded saws. But, I've read on here that after a MM, the high side should be Richened. In my ignorant opinion, you should be around 1 1/2 turns out from seated on the hi on a mm'd 2159.

Realize that I am having some carb/fuel/impulse/air leak issues right now, and have been here begging for advice. I am not qualified, but thought I'd try to help anyway.

Good Luck

Back