Jonsered 2159 finicky starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which carb do yo have, Zama or Walbro?

The 359/2159 suffered from carb issues on saws with Walbro HDA-199 carbs. They switched to Zama C3-EL42 around mid '08 on the 359 but could have been later on the 2159. Some of the symptoms were erratic idle and die on acceleration. I don't mean to make you paranoid. But the Walbro's seemed already lean on the High side from the factory or damn close anyway. A muffler mod should have require at least 1/8-1/4 turn counterclockwise or richer. The only other reason would be if you went way too rich on the L setting but that seems unlikely.

The 359/2159 suffered from carb issues on saws with Walbro HDA-199 carbs. They switched to Zama C3-EL42 around mid '08 on the 359 but could have been later on the 2159. Some of the symptoms were erratic idle and die on acceleration. I don't mean to make you paranoid. But the Walbro's seemed already lean on the High side from the factory or damn close anyway. A muffler mod should have require at least 1/8-1/4 turn counterclockwise or richer. The only other reason would be if you went way too rich on the L setting but that seems unlikely.

Yes, which carb do you have? What is the SN?

Serial # on carb or saw? Purchased saw new in January this year

So after lookin it over again I'd say its tuned a quarter of a turn lean on the h side and and pulling 13500 rpm. It stock setting it pulls 12,900. This is with the l screw turned a quarter inch Rich to try and fix the off idle bog...

Bogging from idle is corrected by turning the L (closest needle to the cylinder) CCW. You will pull the limiters most likely. If the saw is under warranty, I would take it to the dealer and let them deal with it.

Saw has been to the dealer twice now aswell as me trying my best to adjust the carb. Same prob that when the saw is hot and u restart, it starts up fine but when u hit the gas it dies. After a bit of throttle play to keep it from dying it runs fine. Bout ready to smash it!

Need to save up enuff money to send it to some1 on here so they can diagnose it...

Ive had same issues on 2152, they never take off at first, ive used carbs from 2159s and still doesnt fix it. Ive learned to just call it its warm up time. After the 30 seconds of throttle play it hauls the mail so its not such a big deal to me. I dont know if its just mild starvation till carb loads up or what.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Tired of fulling with it so it shipped out today for the "fix"

Latest posts

Back