Jonsered can anybody tell me what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to suggest that there may have been more than one variation in the 80/90 series; Blake's 90 on Acres' site has a little different shape to the handle too, and a big difference in the intake screen over the rewind. I think that the 80, 90, 801, 810, and 910 all sort of overlapped some years too, with minor internal diff's.

My 90 has the flat air filter; didn't the silver top 80's have the cone type behind a round cover? Weren't there also black 80's with the flat cover and air cleaner, or were those 801's?

Thanks for the rod number!!! Your saw is a 90!! The 80 had a silver top,a round air filter and no compression release. The 801 has the black top but no compression release.I sold lots of 80s and 90s.Both were good with lots of power but the 80 cranked hard and was hard on starter ropes.Axeman.

My 90 doesn't have a decomp valve.

I'll pull it tomorrow & compare it to the posted photos. And yes I've came across a few variations in the Jreds that I've worked on.

Chris J.

Comp release

eyolf said:
I am going to suggest that there may have been more than one variation in the 80/90 series;...........
It would not surprise me if the presence of of a comp release also tell us more about when the saw was made, than which model it is....
My feeling is that it is not possible to distinguish a 90 from a 801 with certainty by external features.

eyolf said:
My 90 has the flat air filter; didn't the silver top 80's have the cone type behind a round cover? Weren't there also black 80's with the flat cover and air cleaner, or were those 801's?

I have seen no indication that there ever was a black top model 80.
The silver top and round air filter cover is the easiest way to distinguish it from the 801 and 90. At least that is what I believe, until someone proves me wrong. ;)

This saw is, without question, either a 801 or a 90. It is easy to tell the difference between the 801 and the 90. Jimbo is 200% correct ! The 90 had a compression release and the 801 did not. If this saw has a compression release, then it is, without question, a 90.
Jonsereds only made two (2) models with the louvered air intake at the rear of the saw, the 801 and the 90. The 90 had the comp valve while the 801 used a blind plug in the cover where the valve would be installed.

I must have looked at Mike Acres site at

least a dozen times trying to ID my 801, not a 90. I'm now very, very pizzed off at myself for not being able to ID a f*****g simple chainsaw. Maybe I'll use it for target practice.

It could, but Why?

If you decide this is 801 no longer a saw you could care fore, drop me a note.
I doubt I will find one here.

Why plugging.........?

According to my memory there is some people who think the comp release robs power from the saw. They may even be right, especially if it is worn and has started leaking. Some time ago there was a dicussion on the subject of plugging comp releases at this site.

I think it would be hard to cover the fact tat it is a 801. Not onle does the ole in the cover need to be fixed there is the cylinder aswell.
That is harder. to put a bolt in does not mahe the hole go away, and as I understand there is po hole in cylinder for decomp.

Mange

There's no hole in the jug for a decomp valve.

I've just about had the 801 (not a 90) completely apart. I even have a parts saw for it. Judging from what I've seen on eBay & other places, I'm not the only one having problems telling the 801 from the 90.

I was having a VERY bad computer night yesterday-had all sorts of problems uploading some guitar photos to another site. I'm really POd because I spent more time than I'd care to remember trying to ID the 90/801. I don't pretend to know much about saws, but I really enjoy research, & it seriously bothers me that I couldn't properly ID the saw.

Mange--I'm not going to use the saw for target practice (it's not the saws fault that I'm a dumbazz), but I have considered reducing my modest inventory. If if if (please understand that I like my old Jreds) I decide to sale it, I'll post it on used equipment in order to keep the moderators happy (did you catch that, big brother?).

Chris J.

Back