Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heated carb ….now your just showing off. Ok so the rain has begun we got wet in the woods so home we came. Plowed mine and my sons driveway. Came in a chainsawer had responded so it will fit and I ordered one $29.00 $39.00 with shipping.... spendy little thing aint it. I will get by with the bearing well greased for now but will pick one up soon. We have a Kamen Bearing outlet/ store about 20 miles from here.

Yeah, when you consider Oregon drum kits used to cost about $3.50 when I was loggin'...lol. Well, just figure NLA parts are only going to continue to rise in the future. That just causes a lot of people to hoard, unfortunately.

Post away on your mystery saw....

Kevin

It's newer than I know. Does look a 450. Muffler is different though. Not a well liked saw. I think it might be one of the XXX models that Robin despises. The ones seen in dumpsters all over his area because they wouldn't hold up.

Kevin

It might be, I am no expert that's for sure. I see according to Acers site the max rpm is 9000 for a modern saw isn't that kind of low? So what do I do with it,.. put it back in the box or try to fix it. I would assume the parts for it are also hard to come by. Looks like piston rings bearing maybe a cylinder clean up? I really did not even look up inside the cylinder so I don't know how much damage is up in there.

Those recoils are almost always broke where the handle retracts. I was working on a 520 sp came in cracked. Sure enough I just let go of the handle once. Shatter that square cup like an egg.

In the same boat got a box with a 520sp that's scored. Of course it's tore down so figuring out why... Was told straight gas but who knows.

They are decent when going good. Just not many fans of repairing them.

Aren't they based on a Partner 5000 or something?

I just e-mailed chainsawer I hope it will fit the 625 I have not heard from Robin so I will see if they get back to me. I hate to bother people but do appreciate the help. I have a wheel horse with blower and my farm tractor but 3-4" is barley a challenge . I have a mystery Jonsered all apart in a box my son gave to me. A guy he works with knew I like saws so he gave it to the son. Once I get the clutch thing under control I will post some pictures to see what it is . It does not have any tags on it anywhere.

Sorry for not getting back to you Jeff but didn't get back to the 'puter last night.....but yes it will fit...those clutches used on many saws....orange and all the 625, 630 and 670 series EXCEPT the EARLY coarse thread cranks but any of the fine thread ones will do you fine. As you can see the latest version (last one I posted) are a much better design with a lot more shoe surface area.

Jeff that saw is either a 510SP or an early 520SP. The three bolt recoil is the give away.....and the reason I say early 520 is that starting with Serial Number 1983 24 000 they went to the new and improved 4 bolt recoil. I would not waste any further time or money trying to repair that thing.....thankless task...they sold a pile of those things around here....very few still in evidence.....most didn't get saved for parts because all the same stuff broke......most looked just like yours inside so there were no extra top ends to be found.....elux/Jonsered dealers could not even get enough P&C kits to cover the amount of warranty work when the saws were current. These were sold as the latest and greatest whizz bang saws designed to replace the 49SP and 52/52E series.....lighter and faster.....only thing they was faster at was hitting the landfills....bad saws...all of them.....the only good 4XX or 5XX saws were the Jonsereds/Jonsered 490 and 590......the 490 being the exact same saw as the Partner 5000.....the 590 was a Jonsered variant of the 490/5000 featuring a 1mm increase in bore size over the 490 and also hotter port timing numbers.....real zippy little saw.

Thanks to all I had a 510sp as my first saw and yea it was a pos. You could not keep the handle bar tight or the recoil if I remember right. It eventually lost a crank seal and I traded it towards a Partner 5000+ That was my first real saw it still runs to this day and runs well. I will box it up and set it off in a corner. I will not spend any money on it. I do have some other parts in another box that maybe I will look at sometime. I think this other box has some parts for the 600 series but I don't know. Thanks for all the input this sticky seems a little more friendly than one of the others I visited a few years ago. I had sworn off visiting stickies till now. Thanks again. Jeff

Back