Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ol' Amish guy, who's been a Jonsered dealer since the early 80's has been carrying the Huskies since the "Big Shake up".

I ask him if he had any interest in the TSC Jonsered warranty work and he said "NO Way" !!
He has had a sign on the wall for several years which reads, "We service what we sell".

He suggested anyone buying from a box store needs to seek service from the box stores, that it would be more headaches for him than the "little" money he would make servicing the TSC Jonnys under warranty, now that he no longer carries them.

:confused:

It's always been a delicate balance; warranty work paid back by the company versus what the saw really needed. Most companies used to take care of their dealers pretty well, then when everything got reorganized, companies bought out and bottom line was everything, dealers got screwed around with 'permission' to do a lot of warranty work. In the end, it's the customer who gets the shaft the most.

As hard as it is sometimes to secure parts, I'm thankful I only have interest in the older saws.:dizzy: I bought over a dozen Husky 2100's from Bailey's back in the day(not to mention all the bars, chain etc) and they consider them "antiques" now and don't know me from Adam. Interestingly, I've never bought a new Jonny.:msp_rolleyes:

Kevin

That's a tough decision. Usually the gut reaction is to fix a 'found' saw...rescuing it for perpetuity etc. I'm faced with the same dilemma; bought a Husky 2100 from a pawn shop cheap and here it sits. I have a running 2100 that I use for work. I could easily restore this latest 2100 if I scrounge around for some missing parts. Unfortunately, the PO had trouble finding the needed parts and just jury rigged it. The parts that are missing are somewhat hard to come by. Pragmatically, I should just keep it for needed parts.

In your case, if you scrounge you could probably find the missing parts...or maybe even yet another saw for donor parts....and so it goes 'round & 'round.:dizzy: I guess if the 2050 is your 'missing link', then go for it.:rock: There are only three Jonny saws that interest me; 80, 90 & 111S...but that's just me.:msp_razz:

Kevin

After looking up parts for th 2050 it's only going to cost about $65 to repair it! What does everyone think?

After looking up parts for th 2050 it's only going to cost about $65 to repair it! What does everyone think?

Pragmatically, what's it worth after you fix it? I this 'the saw' for you, or are you just going to flip it. I can tell you that $65 of NOS parts into an older 80/90 is nothing...just a few AV mounts and an air filter. These days, $65 is not a lot of money in OE parts for a chainsaw.

Kevin

As mentioned in a previous post I found this saw at a local landfill, it is missing the handle bar , top engine cover and the rear handle assembly. After getting it home I cleaned it up a bit put gas in it and it fired up and runs really well, I have seen a few parts saws of eBay and have contemplated getting a whole parts saw, but if I get a parts saw I will want to fix it as well as this one, :). Sawagain.com has the parts I need for $56 plus $9.99 shipping. This saw is no longer made!

I am a Husky guy and I am looking for a Jonsered.
I would like a small non-clamshell project.
That lots of parts are out there.
OEM or AM .

What models of Jonsered should I start looking for?

Also, what Husky models cross over, so I can broaden my search?

thanks!

I am a Husky guy and I am looking for a Jonsered.
I would like a small non-clamshell project.
That lots of parts are out there.
OEM or AM .

What models of Jonsered should I start looking for?

Also, what Husky models cross over, so I can broaden my search?

thanks!

Depends on what you are calling small.....but my suggestion would be the 625/630/670 which crosses over to the 61/266/268/272 Husky A great family of saws to work in... base line being 61cc and top being 71cc....from mild to wild in one saw frame pkg. Many parts around... relatively cheap.... The later Jonsered Super IIs/ Champs are the most preferred Due to one piece ign and a few other improvements...but gotta be careful as the one piece ign is a "Shear Point" in the family. Some stuff does not cross back and forth across this line...some does.....

As mentioned in a previous post I found this saw at a local landfill, it is missing the handle bar , top engine cover and the rear handle assembly. After getting it home I cleaned it up a bit put gas in it and it fired up and runs really well, I have seen a few parts saws of eBay and have contemplated getting a whole parts saw, but if I get a parts saw I will want to fix it as well as this one, :). Sawagain.com has the parts I need for $56 plus $9.99 shipping. This saw is no longer made!

Well hell yeah...that's the TRAP. You buy a donor and then low & behold, you wind up fixing the donor and the other saw....so now you have two. And don't expect this pattern to diminish....:msp_tongue:

I've used sawagain.com. They feel a little impersonal, but it might just be the way their website is setup. Look at their descriptions CAREFULLY for used parts. All the OE/NOS stuff I bought from them was exactly that.

Well, I'd forgotten about the dump part.....so even on a good garage sale day, you might spend $50-$60 for this saw. Fixing it up is a lot more fun!:hmm3grin2orange: Total outlay then of $65 and you've done fine...do it!:rock:

Kevin

Depends on what you are calling small.....but my suggestion would be the 625/630/670 which crosses over to the 61/266/268/272 Husky A great family of saws to work in... base line being 61cc and top being 71cc....from mild to wild in one saw frame pkg. Many parts around... relatively cheap.... The later Jonsered Super IIs/ Champs are the most preferred Due to one piece ign and a few other improvements...but gotta be careful as the one piece ign is a "Shear Point" in the family. Some stuff does not cross back and forth across this line...some does.....

^ +10 Great advice on the smaller Jonnys and a really nice guy giving it.:msp_thumbup:

Kevin

Great info!

Thanks!

:cheers:

Cantdog, your Jonsered(s) rebuild rebuild threads are great, the repair 'tricks' that aren't found in the SMs are priceless :rock:.

Last edited:
Cantdog, your Jonsered(s) rebuild rebuild threads are great, the repair 'tricks' that aren't found in the SMs are priceless :rock:.

Thanks Chris...glad you appreciate them. I 've got a couple more coming up this winter if time allows a 910E build from scratch with NOS cases, P&C, AV mounts, Ign and a few other NOS parts with the rest excellent used parts. A 521V..same thing..NOS cases P&C, Ign and a few more NOS parts with the rest excellent used parts. A 451 EV mostly just a rebuild of a very nice example of these fast little guys with heated handles. A 630V that gets new mains, seals gaskets and a newer used cyl with a meteor piston...real nice 1 owner saw...again heated handles.....all going to look real sharp with no repainting needed. All have heated handles except the 910E......who knows..... maybe by the time I get ready I may have found a 910EV donor saw for the heated handles set up too!!! Hint Hint... Nudge Nudge ...anyone??LOLOL!!!

Hmmm, must get cold in Maine..................:)

LOL!! It just the way these projects presented themselves.....at present I have only a 512V with heated handles....and I do like it....maybe I'm getting wimpy but warm fingers are good!!! A lot of my cutting happens when there is snow on the ground....

Heated wraps

Never had a saw with heated handles....I was told however way back in the day, it was the thing to have in snow. We logged until the trees froze...at least the smaller ones, then moved down the mountain to cut old-growth Ponderosa pine....which often ran three to four logs to the load. Easy money and no branches until the second 32'....you could literally run down those logs buckin' and screamin'.:D

Lots of times I could have used those heated wraps in the morning. Is that a fixed heat, or can you shut it off? That would be awful in the summer if you couldn't.:confused2:

Kevin

Back