Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jonsered 49Sp Cylinder Nos Oem

View attachment 405167

Just bought this on eBay, $65 plus shipping.

HaHaHa!!! That's the mate to the one I bought from the same guy.......I paid $70.00 .....however he sent me a Husky half wrap instead.......then he called all in a panic...said my P&C would be here shortly.....we talked it over and he gave me the address of the guy who bought he handle and I resent that away today......cost $9.00 even to ship.....he credited my paypal $14.00...........so in the end we paid exactly the same!!!!! $65.00...hell of a deal...when these could be had retail was $175.00 and I have never seen a complete P&C kit for the 49SP on ebay ever.....in like 7-8 yrs of watching!!!

HaHaHa!!! That's the mate to the one I bought from the same guy.......I paid $70.00 .....however he sent me a Husky half wrap instead.......then he called all in a panic...said my P&C would be here shortly.....we talked it over and he gave me the address of the guy who bought he handle and I resent that away today......cost $9.00 even to ship.....he credited my paypal $14.00...........so in the end we paid exactly the same!!!!! $65.00...hell of a deal...when these could be had retail was $175.00 and I have never seen a complete P&C kit for the 49SP on ebay ever.....in like 7-8 yrs of watching!!!

Well that was awfully nice of you to do that for him!!! Made his life easier.

We paid the same but you got theP&C kit, mine is just the cylinder. Which makes yours a sweeter deal.
And I've seen aftermarket 49sp pistons for sale if I need one. :cheers:

Well that was awfully nice of you to do that for him!!! Made his life easier.

We paid the same but you got theP&C kit, mine is just the cylinder. Which makes yours a sweeter deal.
And I've seen aftermarket 49sp pistons for sale if I need one. :cheers:

Ahh.....I jumped to conclusions and thought it was a P&C kit.....LOL!!!... even betterer deal for me!!!!

There is only one aftermarket piston for the 49SP.....it's sold by Northwoods Saw....and made by VEC (India). I did a detailed build using one complete with many pics and posted it on here......all the pics were lost in the hack but here's the thread if you would like to read it.
http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...oods-saw-designed-and-marketed-piston.199567/

The up shot is that it is a very nicely made and finished piston but has one flaw that can be fixed......will post some pics later if you're interested.

The up shot is that it is a very nicely made and finished piston but has one flaw that can be fixed......will post some pics later if you're interested.

Thanks Robin, I might need that info. Not sure what I'll be getting into with my 49 until I start the teardown.
Which may be this weekend if the weather stays in the single digits like it has been. :nofunny:

You guys both got good deals...anytime NOS stuff goes cheap, everyone is a winner...well, except the seller. But some sellers are just pragmatic;they want the stuff gone, not sitting around waiting for that big kill. The story I once told in here about that guy selling the NOS J'red stuff back east(sawdust_man)...he's been trying to sell a 80/90 condenser and a OE ring set for yrs....for way more money than they are worth. He's the seller that sent me the boat prop instead of the J'red parts I paid for...lol. He may get his price someday and figure it was all worth it....I dunno. He's got a NOS 80 jug for sale now(no piston) for $199.

I figure any NOS P&C set for older saws that goes for less than $90 is a great deal. Especially when you consider they were way more than that new and really, really scarce now!

Kevin

Thanks Robin, I might need that info. Not sure what I'll be getting into with my 49 until I start the teardown.
Which may be this weekend if the weather stays in the single digits like it has been. :nofunny:

Well Dean here's the skinny on the aftermarket VEC pistons...as I said the fit, finish, casting and all measurements were excellent....

49SP Build with Northwood Saw Piston 016.jpg 49SP Build with Northwood Saw Piston 018.jpg

Now that's the good news.....the issue lies between the wrist pin bosses. The clearance between the upper conrod sides and the bosses is excessive. In the thread I gave all the actual measurements. In these motors the wristpin to conrod measurement is what centers the lower conrod bearing on the crank journal and keeps the rod from rubbing on the counterweights....on the pro Jonsereds saws of the time this was controlled by accurately cast and machined pistons and thrust washers on either side of the upper rod bearing.....generally measuring a running clearance of around 0.012-0.014". The 49sp being semi pro (spelled economy) saw did not do it this way but simply cast the bosses closer together, eliminating the thrust washers and using a narrower bearing, giving a running measurement of like 0.030" + or -...........the VEC piston designers didn't think about this aspect of the piston and the clearance measures a lot more......I can't remember exactly (it's in the thread) but something like 0.165- -.200" or whatever......enough to allow the codrod big end to shift back and forth enough to rub on both counterweights. I cured this by installing the upper conrod bearing (wider bearing) and thrust washer set from a 52/52E ...this required me to remove about 0.015" from each boss face....I did this carefully with a dremel but it would be better done with a mill......anyway this gave me about a 0.012" running clearance. This also will make this piston a suitable replacement in a 52/52E as well......

The first pic is of the VEC piston with the 52/52E wider bearing and thrust washers installed...

The second pic is of a stock 49SP piston and narrower wristpin bearing......

The third and fourth pic is of the used cyl and new VEC piston ready for installation....

49SP Build with Northwood Saw Piston 015.jpg 49SP Build with Northwood Saw Piston 036.jpg 49SP Build with Northwood Saw Piston 023.jpg 49SP Build with Northwood Saw Piston 024.jpg

Here is the Jonsereds 70 brochure. I found a couple of things interesting about this one. First, the fact that it is called the "70" with no "E", but it has electronic ignition. I had read in the past that the 70 was points and the 70E was electroinc like the 52/52E, but I guess that is incorrect. Second, can you picture a 13" bar on a 70?

img250.jpg img251.jpg

And one final pic. after a run in some wood......about a half cord of hardwood start to the break in.......ran great....with the only aftermarket piston ever made for these saws...

ok. . . . . . . WOW!!:surprised3: . . . . . . . . . THAT picture collection was impressive.
Call him"The Bus" cause he just took me to school . . . . . . :bowdown:

Nice...keep 'em coming! I remember that being said about the 70, that the earliest ones were points...but none exist that I know of. I can only imagine they were trying to sell the 70E to homeowners and the theory being that any homeowner could 'handle' a 13" bar...

It's like the many pics I've seen of a Husky 2100 with a 20" bar. The weight alone of the power head would negate any benefit of all that power...much better saws out there purpose built for 20" bars(like the 70E...lol).

Kevin

ok. . . . . . . WOW!!:surprised3: . . . . . . . . . THAT picture collection was impressive.
Call him"The Bus" cause he just took me to school . . . . . . :bowdown:

Oh Geeze........that tread had 50-60 pics of step by step rebuild...all that went into it......this was just some of the high points!!

I did several other Jonsereds build threads back then......built two 49sp and a 70E from the split cases on up in one thread.....175 pics.....threads are till there but useless without the pics that were lost in the hack. A lot of work with a lot of hard to find information...all lost....more or less...I still have it...... but it was meant for others to use as a guide when needing instruction/information/help working on these fine old saws.....enjoyed doing it but haven't had the heart to do another....Brad Snelling went back and repopulated some of his build threads with pics from his files........he's way more of a 'puter geek than me.....thought about it but that's as far as I got.......

Here is the Jonsereds 70 brochure. I found a couple of things interesting about this one. First, the fact that it is called the "70" with no "E", but it has electronic ignition. I had read in the past that the 70 was points and the 70E was electroinc like the 52/52E, but I guess that is incorrect. Second, can you picture a 13" bar on a 70?

View attachment 405865 View attachment 405866

Nice Eric......I have a 70E brochure but not that one.......I know they listed a 70 but I have never seen one until that pic.

Nice...keep 'em coming! I remember that being said about the 70, that the earliest ones were points...but none exist that I know of. I can only imagine they were trying to sell the 70E to homeowners and the theory being that any homeowner could 'handle' a 13" bar...

It's like the many pics I've seen of a Husky 2100 with a 20" bar. The weight alone of the power head would negate any benefit of all that power...much better saws out there purpose built for 20" bars(like the 70E...lol).

Kevin
LOL !! I know and they are trying to sell that 70 as a limbing saw.......I can tell ya from years of using one that there are much lighter/better Jonsereds limbing saws for use in our woods......49 sp comes to mind...or a 451E/EV.....light and nimble....compared to a 70E.....

Latest posts

Back