Largest Tree You've Cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But seriously.....

48" red oak. Sent a climber up to fell the two leaders into the drop zone.

Chips and logs in four hours with two guys. Another day with two guys to make 7 cords of firewood after chipping everything under 6".

On days like that the 288 becomes a climbing saw.

Not a bit of rot in the entire tree. It had to go for a septic on a new house. Too bad it was a beauty of a tree.

Omg

Husky137 said:
5" blue spruce, towering at almost 9 feet. Boy that tree was scary.:D

And if your not careful and they fall on ya, you'll go home a bloodgeoned mess from those damn picking needles. They make ya itch to no end... :jester:

48"x72" white oak, had to hire a guy to stump it for me (pre 046). We got 13 cord off of that tree!!
Andy

not at all impressive, but you guys will get a laugh out of it. i did this when i was still a teenager. my friend had a maple that that had been cut down leaving a 15ft trunk standing. the stupid tree probly had a realistic 40+ in diameter. and his mother wanted it cut so she could put some flowers on the stump. i cut down the effer with a echo 3450 with a 16 in bar:laugh: cut around the entire tree then had to cut out a notch that my saw would fit into so i could cut another 5 in out of the tree then i pulled it over with my truck. nothing like having more energy than brains. it was fun though probly took 3-4 hours.

54"x150' cotton wood in a friends yard. 4 hrs on the ground used an 032 to take the giant limbs at the top. Used the 044 30-40 ft up. fun watching the giant limbs shatter on impact and watching the friends wife freak out. Worried we destroy the house. Not even a close call. The funnest was a 60 " Douglas fir. It was a spectacular fall straight from the stump. Felt like an olden day logger like my Grampa. He was always my hero. Kicking myself to this day for not bringing a camera. Used my trusty 044 28" bar and Chisel chain. Bucked into logs self loader came and hauled it to the mill.

MacDaddy said:
this is a 6 foot white pine I had to drop

Big tree. How many drive links is that 50 inch bar? Is it .404 or 3/8?

I want a 50 incher for either my 066 or my 395 for occasional use. I am guessing the setup maybe a little slow going in tough wood, but I still want one. Haven't quite got to where I want one 250$ bad, though.

2' silver maple. I was sweating bullets as it was my first real big tree. Had a logger with me safety spotting. Used my Husky 61 with a 20" bar. Took about 20 minutes to cut the wedge, knocked it out with the maul. Did my backcut and stepped back quickly into the path i had cleared. Took the rest of the day to buck it up and quarter the rounds, another day to split it all up.

:cheers:

no LOL

This was a Pine that was only 35' tall after the lightning strike. In a wilderness area in Northern California in the spring. We were required to use a cross cut.
Exactly 60" inside the bark one way, almost 61" at a right angle. (We took some p cord and knotted it tight and measured it later, had a bet going).
There was a small snow bank that actually was part of the fire line. The tree was out by the time we got it down. Took over 7 hours. The pitch was running so much that we spent 3/4ths of our time cleaning the saw with kerosene. The Redding Jumpers gave us a sharp saw, thank heaven for that.
If you assumed that we beat our wedges to death because we didn't have an ounce of misery whip strength left, you would be correct.

Because we did so well on that one they sent us to another fire where we got a district guy to help on a nearly 50" true fir that took less than an hour and a half. For some reason, pitch hadn't started moving on that tree.

Fortunately, I'm a little faster on trees with motorized equipment.

Why yes, we do fight a lot of fires that don't need an enemy. Just keeping the forest safe for democracy and helping the economy.

Last edited:
B_Turner said:
Big tree. How many drive links is that 50 inch bar? Is it .404 or 3/8?

I want a 50 incher for either my 066 or my 395 for occasional use. I am guessing the setup maybe a little slow going in tough wood, but I still want one. Haven't quite got to where I want one 250$ bad, though.

This is my 660 I ported oulling the 50 inch bar with 3/8 chain. If you notice Im up about 20 feet from the but so it is solid.

Omg

John Ellison said:
Not my biggest but here is a nice spruce my partner fell in Alaska. Ten foot.

:bowdown: Guess nobody has anything on that baby. HOLY SH17!!!!!!!

John Ellison said:
Not my biggest but here is a nice spruce my partner fell in Alaska. Ten foot.

:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

thats one huge tree...

Omg

What have you people been doing? I never knew trees could be on the roids. I thought that fish was the only thing big enough to be roiding, lmao... J/K fish. Don't be gettin pi55ed. :biggrinbounce2: :bowdown: :ices_rofl:

Just helping out a friend with my homeowner saws. :hmm3grin2orange:
CopyofTree002.jpg

Back