Let me introduce you to "Sheldon" more specifially "The Sheldon Cord" !!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess that's why using the term face cord is meaningless. No one can agree on what it is. I'll just stick to what I believe and not worry what anyone else thinks.
Now if your using just the word cord, then you better be correct. 128 cubic feet.

And there is were you are mistaken.

A cord is a definition that we all agree on. It is a 8 ft long stack of wood 4 ft high and 4 ft deep.
A face cord is just what the name describes, one face of the cord stack. This is what I have always known it to be and is agree to be the definition amongst most of the firewood guys on this site. Even a quick internet search shows this.
Another site that sells racks to hold firewood even has the dimensions. The only thing variable in face cord is log length. For the most common firewood length of 16-18" it takes 3 face cords to make a full cord. If you cut 12" logs it would take 4 face cords to make a cord and the same would hold true for 24" logs as it would only take 2 face cords to make a cord.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
So now we know what you call a face cord. What do you sell a stack 8'x4'x16'' for? ie. the stack I have pictured.

So now we know what you call a face cord. What do you sell a stack 8'x4'x16'' for? ie. the stack I have pictured.
I generally don't sell firewood.
I have occasionally sold a truckload here and there but I help them load their truck and have in the past charged $50. One guy loaded me his truck to fill up over the weekend and. When I brought it back he paid extra for the amount he saw on his truck.
I have cut wood for others on site before but never charged by the cord or any other measurement.

Libertarian was and still is uncalled for. You need to take that back immediately and go sit in the corner. And it's apologize not apologise.
Really? I respect libertarians and even consider myself a conservative libertarian.
But I am only as good a speller as my auto-correct will let me be. Speak of:

My wife sent me a picture of her in a store dressing room wearing a dress with the caption "Does this dress make me look fat?"
I responded "NOO!"
My phone autocorrected to "MOO!"
Please send help[emoji849]

I generally don't sell firewood.
I have occasionally sold a truckload here and there but I help them load their truck and have in the past charged $50. One guy loaded me his truck to fill up over the weekend and. When I brought it back he paid extra for the amount he saw on his truck.
I have cut wood for others on site before but never charged by the cord or any other measurement.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here but.
We all agree what a legal cord is. It can be cut at 24'' lengths or 16'' lengths. Depending on the length there can be 2 stacks 8'x4'x24'' stacked in 2 rows making a stack 8'x4'x4'. Or 3 rows of 16'' splits. And your calling a face cord the equivalent of the face of a 8'x4'x4' stack no mater if it's 24'' splits or 16''.
What if you stack it in a single row? 16'x4'x24'' instead of 2 rows equaling the same amount, or 24'x4'x16''. That would change the definition of a face cord, wouldn't it?

You are right about the current market 1/2 tons being geared more for family oriented 4 door trucks with short beds. But don't forget about the 40 year old trucks still on the road (which many are regular cab long beds) or that the long bed is still more popular in the 1 ton and up models. I even admit that I am based toward a heavier truck as the Ford I put the most miles on was an F650, and I put more miles on a Freightliner than anything that light.

I do have a bug up my butt (to use your words) when someone puts out false information on a forum just to pad their thread count. Most of us know what a face cord is and in order not to confuse a new member or someone just passing through looking for information, I will continue to call out a lie.

Now I will concede the point that shortbed is the new standard although those of us who use a truck like a truck will still buy a longer bed. So without repeating how much wood weighs let's look at what will fit:
6.5 ft short bed 5.3 ft wide and 1.5 ft deep is a little under 50 cubic feet if you allow for the wheel wells. By adding 30" sideboards you have over 130 cubic feet and room for more than a cord of wood.
Even with the little 5.5 ft bed some soccer moms drive you still only need a 36" sideboard.
Now a small disclaimer about weight, those little bed soccer mom mobiles only have a payload capacity of around 1000 lbs and any cord of wood will weigh twice to eight times that. If you want to haul a cord of wood in the bed of your truck you should be driving a 3/4 ton truck or more.

Good, well reasoned post.

We all agree what a legal cord is. It can be cut at 24'' lengths or 16'' lengths. Depending on the length there can be 2 stacks 8'x4'x24'' stacked in 2 rows making a stack 8'x4'x4'. Or 3 rows of 16'' splits. And your calling a face cord the equivalent of the face of a 8'x4'x4' stack no mater if it's 24'' splits or 16''.
What if you stack it in a single row? 16'x4'x24'' instead of 2 rows equaling the same amount, or 24'x4'x16''. That would change the definition of a face cord, wouldn't it?

Simple answer - there is no standard definition of a "face cord", it is whatever the seller wants to call it. General understanding is 4'x8'x16" but nowhere will you find it legally defined as such.

Bottom line, you sank back when and are still trying to tread water.

I see what you are saying here but the original dimensions of the cord are what is use to define a face cord.
I also don't recommend sell wood by the face cord to avoid confusion. But as I said before I don't sell wood so I cut to fit my stove. It takes 24" max so I cut 20-22". It won't stack out to a traditional cord in that length, so I have to estimate a cord anyway. It is just for my own calculation of how much I have and will burn.

I understand there is a lot of confusion and maybe the reason is because it's not a legal measurement. The word face in face cord to me defines looking at the face or one side of the stack. The depth or length of the splits can vary from 16 to 24''
When I look at the stack from one side (the face) it is 8'x4' no mater the depth ie. half face cord. So that tells me that stack is a half face cord. Now if the stack is 16'x4' and you look at it from one side (the face) you see what looks like a cord, but if the lengths are not 24'' then it's a face cord and not a true legal cord.
I'd be rich if that stack was a face cord and I could double my money. I sell that 8'x4'x16'' stack (what I call a half face cord) for $165.00

You are confused.

Cord = 128 cu/ft.

8x4x16" = 41.6 cu/ft. That is 1/3 of a cord no matter what side you are looking, 3 of them make just short of one cord (124.8cu/ft)

Where you are getting that one of them is 1/2 cord is way beyond any math I have heard of.

No. The face of a cord is 4x8=32. Yours is 4x16=64. Twice as big. 4x24, well now we're past silly into ludicrous. :crazy2:

You are confused.

Cord = 128 cu/ft.

8x4x16" = 41.6 cu/ft. That is 1/3 of a cord no matter what side you are looking, 3 of them make just short of one cord (124.8cu/ft)

Where you are getting that one of them is 1/2 cord is way beyond any math I have heard of.

8'x4'x16"=42.66666667 cubic feet. = 1/3 cord

X3=128 cubic feet.

I could find no spelling errors. :laugh:

Wait..were you messing with me?

Nope.

I was being dead serious.

The face of a face cord is 32 square feet.

The depth of a face cord is whatever firewood length is in the stack.

16" would equal 1/3 of a cord
12" would equal 1/4 of a cord
24" would equal 1/2 of a cord.
48" would equal a full cord.

It would be far better to use the fraction of a cord figure than the dubious description, 'face cord'.

I see what you are saying here but the original dimensions of the cord are what is use to define a face cord.
I also don't recommend sell wood by the face cord to avoid confusion. But as I said before I don't sell wood so I cut to fit my stove. It takes 24" max so I cut 20-22". It won't stack out to a traditional cord in that length, so I have to estimate a cord anyway. It is just for my own calculation of how much I have and will burn.

I never use the word cord. I call it a stack and I give the dimensions. In my case I have my stacks measured out at 4'x4'x16'' to 18'' people can buy as many stacks as they want. But having sold wood for many years I can tell you without any doubt a stack 8'x4'x16'' will fill a standard short bed a little past the top rail of the bed. And that's stacked in neatly. If it's a long bed there is room for just a little more but not much. This comes from loading hundreds of trucks with the same measured amount.

Obviously there's some varying opinions on what a face cord is. I would have thought though that we could all agree that it's between 1/4-1/2 of a cord, depending on the length of the splits, 12"-24". Saying it's 2/3 of a cord though, that's goofy in my book.

I know what a face cord is, I just sell by full cord, half cord that is about it, keeps it simple. All this other stuff makes me laugh !! Here is one for thought, if your splits are 12" long and you have a stack 4'x8'x12" is that still a face cord? I would say yes because the face cord measurement the way I interpret it is just that, the face 4'x8' and the depth is not relevant.

I never use the word cord. I call it a stack and I give the dimensions. In my case I have my stacks measured out at 4'x4'x16'' to 18'' people can buy as many stacks as they want.

I know you live in Texas were the country is mostly free like it is in Tennessee. But in the north east and mid west were this is actually illegal. Many states have laws on the books stating that you can only sell wood by the cord or fraction of a cord. I don't agree with these laws as I have sold by the truckload but both parties agree that it is a fair amount.

Latest posts

Back