Local weater man says the Earth is in a cooling phase that will last 10 to 15 years.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1. No doubt about it. Global warming has struck again! :msp_laugh:

Please send any extra global warming anyone has my way. I think the new catch phrase is "Climate Chaos" now. This is clever as it can cover all situations without having to change the name to match the current climate trend.

Please send any extra global warming anyone has my way. I think the new catch phrase is "Climate Chaos" now. This is clever as it can cover all situations without having to change the name to match the current climate trend.

You're kill'in me with this candid response. I just hope like heck it's not political because it may cause heart burn to some posters who are so pure of heart that nothing is political to them.

You're kill'in me with this candid response. I just hope like heck it's not political because it may cause heart burn to some posters who are so pure of heart that nothing is political to them.

I tried to not be political. It is the new catch phrase and as much as I like cutting firewood, I would be happy as heck to only run my chainsaw half as much as I do now. I like mountain biking much better than processing firewood.

well we've only accurately tracked the climate and weather for a little over a hundred years and given the earths age i think scientists are putting the horse i nfront of the buggy on this topic ,first its global cooling then global warming now they got caught with their pants down and changed the phrase to global climate change next mont hit will be something different again im sure .the earth goes through climate patterns every so often ..so what ,we havent enough reliable data and for long enough period to make accurate assessments of whats currently happening ,its just more mumbo jumbo to get the government grants to fund their research and line the pockets of charlatans like al gore. :msp_glare:lets stop hyper focusing on mother earth and lets start using common sense and logic instead of running around screaming the sky is falling because some brainiac in a white lab coat scared us.:msp_scared: i trust nothing these guys say ,these same experts claim that we are here by chance ? but we now know there are 3 trillion+ microbiolgical machines all performing unique tasks and functions working in unison to create a single living working cell and in your body their are over 3 trillion of these single cells working in unison to function as well and these some how all just came about randomly by coincidental mistake

Agree .

an excerpt from the woodsmans diary

Doublewoodawardwoodsman'sdiary:

Dear diary, all my old friends done growed up. It's ok. They never dedicated their lives to being a Fap clown like I have. Fap fap lol!
Just kidding I'm serious. I'm getting old& I don't have kids. Pretty soon I'll be dead. Are you scared? Lol!

Weather in the political forum?I took it as a comment on firewood usage as well._Is_that_political_,too?
I sure do wish people that new everthing would stay in the I'm a know-it-all grouchy old smellfungus forum.You have a good day,Harry K.

So did I but I knew that it would instantly turn into politics. Didn't you?

Harry K

I believe it..This has been the coldest winter in a long while, I've blipped thru more wood this year than I have in the last 5. Last week it was -10 twice and below zero the other 3 days, it's the end of February for craps sake! Extra wood on hand is always a good idea at any rate! :)

He says it's due to the Pacific ocean being one degree cooler than the previous 15 years or so. I've noticed I have gone through more wood the last couple of years than previously. Thought I'd pass it along, it might be a good idea to have an extra cord of wood around in future winters.

Are we in a cooling trend.. not sure.. BUT the Pacific ocean being one degree cooler has nothing to do with it.. and is not evidence of such.

It has nothing to do with global warming or lack thereof.. so not even part of same argument.

In 2010 and 2011 we are in the middle of a la nina in the Pacific, the opposite of an el nino. During a la nina the ocean temperatures do drop, and with enough impact to cause weather changes in North America, South America, Australia, etc. It is well documented and known condition, and nothing that is new nor was not expected.

The el nino and la nina also impact ocean water depth, raising or lowering from a few inches to as much as a foot.

The opposite, the el nino will warm the ocean, and they oscillate back and forth. We just came out of an el nino prior to this one..

Some may try to use this to show there is no global warming, fact is that this has nothing to do with global warming.. and if you are pro or anti global warming makes no difference.

"El Niño and La Niña occur on average every 3 to 5 years. However, in the historical record the interval between events has varied from 2 to 7 years. According to the National Centers for Environmental Prediction, this century's previous La Niñas began in 1903, 1906, 1909, 1916, 1924, 1928, 1938, 1950, 1954, 1964, 1970, 1973, 1975, 1988, and 1995. These events typically continued into the following spring. Since 1975, La Niñas have been only half as frequent as El Niños"

This is of interest, but alone not conclusive. "Since 1975, La Niñas have been only half as frequent as El Niños" The El Niños cause temperature increases, and warmer conditions. Since they have been twice as frequent as La Niñas since 1975 this could possibly be partially to what is being observed as a global warming trend.. or maybe is a result of global warming trend.. who knows.. only an observation.

"La Niña conditions typically last approximately 9-12 months. Some episodes may persist for as long as two years. "

La Niña Fact Sheet : Feature Articles

Strong La Niña in December 2010 : Image of the Day

World of Change: El Niño, La Niña, and Rainfall : Feature Articles

La Nina in progress : Image of the Day

Adios El Nino, Hello La Nina? : Image of the Day

Kelvin Wave Renews El Niño : Image of the Day

What is El Nino? Fact Sheet : Feature Articles

Climate Prediction Center: ENSO Diagnostic Discussion

Adios El Nino, Hello La Nina? : Image of the Day

Below is a prediction.. done last year sometime.. so much of what he is talking about has taken place. But explains overall what is going on and why.. he does predict a Alaska cold air driving south, and possible record cold temperatures for periods of this winter. He also predicts tornado's in the winter months.. possible followed by a deep freeze..

[video=youtube;l5x8dJ57xkk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5x8dJ57xkk[/video]

Good weather site with down to earth info : Firsthand Weather - The Weather In Your Perspective!

Bit more info - maps, etc. from NASA. : NASA Earth Observatory : Home

And here is climate prediction center : Climate Prediction Center

Any weatherman who would not be aware of el nino or la nina, which have been going on and recorded for years does not deserve to be called one. He better come up with better evidence than the Pacific cooling one degree, which was well known and predicted if he is going to forecast a long term impact.. as NASA and all other major predictions say that it is going to continue to oscillate and will warm back up.

This is NOT evidence of global warming either being present or not.. unrelated.. so do not belong in same discussion :) Has been going on since before we knew what global warming was...

"For many decades, scientists have known about the oscillation in atmospheric pressure across the tropical Pacific at the heart of both El Niño and La Niña. However, La Niña's effects on fisheries along the immediate coast of South America, where El Niño was named, are benign rather than destructive, so La Niña received relatively little attention there. Research on La Niña increased after its wider impacts (often called teleconnections) were recognized in the 1980s. "

http://www.elnino.noaa.gov/lanina_new_faq.html

Last edited:
lets all take a deep breathe and use logic and reason God gave us ..lets remember that just because a group of so called educated people agree on something doesnt make it true.there are books videos web sites documents and fact sheets on big foot ,yetti,and loch ness too :msp_thumbup:i have used more wood than years before that tells me its colder in the winter ,thats all i need to know

Last edited:
I'm old enough to remember back in the 70's the TV spouting "Are we coming into a new ice age?"

Well that did occur.. but there was a slight cooling that occured at that time, triggering the theory.

Global cooling was a conjecture during the 1970s of imminent cooling of the Earth's surface and atmosphere along with a posited commencement of glaciation. This hypothesis had mixed support in the scientific community, but gained temporary popular attention due to a combination of press reports that did not accurately reflect the scientific understanding of ice age cycles, and a slight downward trend of temperatures from the 1940s to the early 1970s. In contrast to the global cooling conjecture, the current scientific opinion on climate change is that the Earth has not durably cooled, but undergone global warming throughout the twentieth century.

But some still think we are heading into an ice age..

Earth on the Brink of an Ice Age - English pravda.ru

The Coming of a New Ice Age

You guys are too funny. I have been in Northeast Pennsylvania for 8 winters, and this year we had the most below zero days I have seen so far. I do hear that over in Greenland they able to grow crops for the first time in over 200 years. Maybe we will soon get some Greenlanders with Chainsaws on this forum.... lol!!!

I'm very sorry guys but, there is little science left today. Today's world relies on funding and grants, look to see who is paying and watch how the "scientific" results come out, the local guys are just trying to stay relevant and sell ad time. If you really want answers, study what has happened in the past.

Don't you guys know all this cold we have had here and around the world this winter is caused by "global warming":confused2:

Everyone who uses the terms "global warming" and "global climate change" really get my blood boiling. The AlGore endorsed proper new term is

Global Climate Disruption

and it basically means that no matter what, the alarmists are right and every observation strengthens their position. In gambling terms this would be called "stacking the deck".

As for the weather, it seems like the last 2 years I have burnt less wood but I have also burnt a larger percentage of seasoned wood than in the past which probably accounts for the lessened wood usage.

Even if we do go into a cooling period it probably won't be noticed. Last year was one of the coldest winters that I have gone through and this winter is probably about average. It started out cold and so far is winding up warmer. Who knows what next year will bring. Whether we have global warming or global cooling individual years can and will fluctuate. Different parts of our country will be colder than normal and other parts will be warmer than normal all in the same year.

Weather is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.

Everyone who uses the terms "global warming" and "global climate change" really get my blood boiling. The AlGore endorsed proper new term is

Global Climate Disruption

and it basically means that no matter what, the alarmists are right and every observation strengthens their position. In gambling terms this would be called "stacking the deck".

As for the weather, it seems like the last 2 years I have burnt less wood but I have also burnt a larger percentage of seasoned wood than in the past which probably accounts for the lessened wood usage.

Thank you Dude for setting us all straight on what we are to call the weather in politically correct terms.GCD is a new one on me.

well we've only accurately tracked the climate and weather for a little over a hundred years and given the earths age i think scientists are putting the horse i nfront of the buggy on this topic ,first its global cooling then global warming now they got caught with their pants down and changed the phrase to global climate change next mont hit will be something different again im sure .the earth goes through climate patterns every so often ..so what ,we havent enough reliable data and for long enough period to make accurate assessments of whats currently happening ,its just more mumbo jumbo to get the government grants to fund their research and line the pockets of charlatans like al gore. :msp_glare:lets stop hyper focusing on mother earth and lets start using common sense and logic instead of running around screaming the sky is falling because some brainiac in a white lab coat scared us.:msp_scared: i trust nothing these guys say ,these same experts claim that we are here by chance ? but we now know there are 3 trillion+ microbiolgical machines all performing unique tasks and functions working in unison to create a single living working cell and in your body their are over 3 trillion of these single cells working in unison to function as well and these some how all just came about randomly by coincidental mistake
BrotherFLOTEK has a well worth quotable excerpt~ this is one for the BT SERIES. See GT for details> Search for a huge followingASmembers for (Planting efforts) b4 we all die!!Tree replacers encouraged far and wide...what else can we do?Discussion
The Woodsmans Diary

Well who do you want to believe? A local guy with maybe a BA in weather or all the credible scientists. I'll pick the local guy for giggles.

FWIW I have gone through less and less wood year by year for the past 10. Here in the interior NW we are in a record mild winter again after a record setting one last year.

I sure do wish the people who want to discuss the subject knew the difference between weather and climate.

This thread belongs over in the "political' forum.

Harry K

:clap: Absolutely. Some folks seem to favor scholarship-nullification. What they want to believe is THE TRUTH, and won't countenance dissent. Gets them paranoid.

A recent study demonstrated pretty clearly that even most meteorologists were clueless about climatology. Kinda like the "drill, baby, drill" demagogues.

Latest posts

Back