Local wood guys are letting me down!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a beautiful home,
must be very well insulated. With high ceiling like that ceiling fans are your friend. That's a HUGE fireplace/insert/stove, I'm surpised it's not rated at a higher output. House must be very well insulated, being three level as opposed to single level helps somewhat.

I heat 2000= sq. ft. with a Lopi Endeavor. During very cold times, 0 an below
it's at the limit of it's ability to keep it comfortable. Central house 1200 sq. ft. is cement block so it's poorly insulated. Additions are 2x6 construction and well insulated.

My Lopi is about 1/2 the size your unit (dementionally).

WidowMaker

Amherst Mass. is somewhat colder than Southbury Ct (probably 4-5 degrees on average), however I can't come close to heating the remote second and third floor bedrooms (11 room 5500 sq. ft.) even with the two Jotul Oslos on the first floor burning full bore when it is down in the single digits or below, and I was "only" using approximately 1500 gallons of #2 to heat the house prior to "gettin' the wood burning religion".

That must be some kind of insert.

Hugenpoet

The building industry, as I've read in construction periodicals, is towards smaller, more functional homes. Heating, cooling, maintenance, taxes, etc., are all less on the homeowner. Plus with efficient building techniques/insulation, home are becoming more efficient, and can be cooled and heated with less monstrous systems. "The Not So Big House" by Susan Susanka is a good example of getting a lot more out of a lot less. Especially for us guys and gals in areas where the property taxes (sic NY!) are high. A good stove can heat a well laid out home. And even more so with a ceiling fan on low to gently move warmed air to cooler areas. Opening/closing doors on perimeter rooms is another way to control heating without overworking the stove-or you. Next home will be such a home :) .

little bit off topic, but I heat my 2000 sq ft home with just a woodburning fireplace....9 foot ceilings downstairs and 12 foot ceilings upstairs...the beauty of insulated concrete form construction
plus i live on hilltop where the wind is ALWAYS blowing...i would love to see how a stickbuilt construction would perform....

Back