log splitter second chance.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiting-5

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
have a huskee 35 ton log splitter that i bought from tractor supply few years back that i hate.why do i hate it ? because of the 12 hp briggs engine and the amount of kick back it would yank the pull cord out of your hand when starting.its hurt me and both of my boys. i was so fed up with it i was going to sell it.but then i found a guy that works on lawn mowers and such and has a junkyard of parts laying around long story short he had enough parts laying around to switch it over to electric start.and let me tell you this is the way to go.it has made life so easy it fires right up even when frezzing cold outside.if huskee would have made this to start what a concept.i know they must have had complaints because there new 35 ton splitters use different design now.just wanting to let guys know with this splitter there is hope .

Hmmmm................. you can't make a post like this without providing us with some nice pictures of your electric start conversion ! :confused:

I have a new Swisher 28ton with a Briggs 10.5 hp engine. It won't kickback, but it's a bear to start. It's not broke in yet and it's tuff to pull. It has a deal to disengage the pump which makes it better. But still!!!!

Electric start is nice. Mine has a car battery so there is plenty of CCA's available for a cold start.

Don

My splitter has the Honda motor, no electric start but rarely more than 2 pulls. And it has never pulled back on me. Not as good as electric start, but no battery to maintain!

My splitter has the Honda motor, no electric start but rarely more than 2 pulls. And it has never pulled back on me. Not as good as electric start, but no battery to maintain!

ive had honda 13 hp. pull start and never had any problems either. but this briggs engine is a beast!poor design in my opinion the two deals that are in the recoil housing that shoot out when you pull the handle are cheap plastic.ive tried pulling it through so its not on compression stroke when pulling but it will still bite you.a pump disengage sounds like a good idea:clap:i changed the hyd. oil to dextron that made it a little easier but still a pain when its cold.i talked to a guy at a lawnmower shop that use this engine on some big walk behind mowers and he says that pull starting was the number 1 complaint. i would rather maintain a battery and have a splitter that works easily than fight the S.O.B. i will get some pics and post them tommorow.

Latest posts

Back