Logging Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are transport chains. There are hooks that are close to round with an opening only large enough for a link thickness. That kind of hook has no exposed cotter pin.

And... That all means what? I'm 1000% confident that these chains will aid in pulling a log out of the wilderness, onto the road, where I can buck it down to length, to load into my trailer, and to fit into my wood stove. Are you going tell me I'm wrong?

A chain choker looks like this:

5-16-x-6-ft-logging-choker-chain-g100-alloy-chain-44__40268.1649101564.jpg

I have used the chains you got to pull logs. I've also used cable chokers and chain chokers, alone or with chains or cables or winches to pull logs with the tractor.

The transport type chains will work but they can slide off the tree and can unhook themselves at times. Both are much rarer with the chain chokers. The chokers are easier to rig. One tip is to make a length of small steel rod with an eye on one end that fits on the last chain link. You can poke the rod under trees. That's easier than pushing a chain under.

Both types of chains work, they're just different.

I have used the chains you got to pull logs. I've also used cable chokers and chain chokers, alone or with chains or cables or winches to pull logs with the tractor.

The transport type chains will work but they can slide off the tree and can unhook themselves at times. Both are much rarer with the chain chokers. The chokers are easier to rig. One tip is to make a length of small steel rod with an eye on one end that fits on the last chain link. You can poke the rod under trees. That's easier than pushing a chain under.

I like to make up my chains with a grab hook on one end and a slip hook on the other. Then, depending on need, I just flip the chain the other way around.

I've never seen that hook before. I do have plenty of cable chokers, and some shorter chains I also have used as chokers. All have been found in the wildrness, and all work fine even though they are all different then each other. My firewood buddy usually has the chains we use. One was not much more then a dogs chain. It broke quite often, but startlingly did work sometimes.

They'll be great, and work fine. Easy enough to swap on a slipper hook if it turns out you want one. Good score.

Yeah, some of the chains I have in my arsenal were found with no or just one hook. Hooks are cheap and easy to swap out or attach. And some are squarish while others are more rounded. My only requirement is for them to securely link to another 3/8s chain. With this purchase I'll have all total 75' or more of chain that will all connect.

Yeppers. I used to get the used overhead lifting rated chains and crane cables from work. But, the liability aspect took care of that yrs ago. I don't think pulling a car or truck out of the ditch would even phase 100K min. break strength cable....

Heck, we just had a Crosby lift hook replaced on our 30 ton P&H overhead crane. Installer used our own torch to cut up the old one in 3 pcs right in front of the plant manager just to confirm out of service status. LOL

I winced a little at that.... I had 21 yrs with that hook!

In northwest Illinois used but serviceable log chains 10-20ft have been screaming at me for years, "Take me home! Take me home!" And with $10-15 price tags on them, I usually do! My assortment has various hooks, so I can always find something that will work. Most recently I chained up to an 18" diameter by 8 1/2 ft walnut saw log and drug it out of the timber with the winch on the front of my pickup.
20230606_155540.jpg
The chains I used had grab hooks, but sliders would have worked just as well. I always try to use chains/cables that are way heavier than I need, because I don't want to be around if one of them breaks and flies back at me. Be safe! O

Latest posts

Back