Logging Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few years ago a local scrapyard was selling off brand new 1/4" surplus military anodized binding chains at scrap value by the pound. They had funky hooks meant to fit over round 1" rails. So I bought 8 twenty foot chains for something like $6-8 each, ordered transport hooks off Amazon and ended up with 20 foot chains for under $10 each!

Never know when or where a deal is going to turn up.image.jpg

What is WLL for real. I used the chains yesterday. We had to winch and drag trees on to the road that were separated by a deep and wide ditch. Buddy has a 12K winch on his trucks bumper and several attempts the winch would not move the logs.

12K pounds of force acting on a chain with a WLL of 6600 pounds. Almost 2 times the WLL and the chains are fine. Hows that possible?

What is WLL for real. I used the chains yesterday. We had to winch and drag trees on to the road that were separated by a deep and wide ditch. Buddy has a 12K winch on his trucks bumper and several attempts the winch would not move the logs.

12K pounds of force acting on a chain with a WLL of 6600 pounds. Almost 2 times the WLL and the chains are fine. Hows that possible?

WLL should be 1/3rd of breaking limit, or even smaller, depending on application.

Also, a 12k lb winch will only pull 12k lbs on the first wrap of the winch drum. To get that, you need 60+ feet of winch line out before you get there. If you were pulling 20ft from the truck, you might only be at 5k lbs.

Edit: Found this

1687527278130.png

WLL should be 1/3rd of breaking limit, or even smaller, depending on application.

Also, a 12k lb winch will only pull 12k lbs on the first wrap of the winch drum. To get that, you need 60+ feet of winch line out before you get there. If you were pulling 20ft from the truck, you might only be at 5k lbs.

Thanks. Makes sense about the first wrap.

I like the milk crates, need something like that for my chains and wedges. Right now it's all just piled on the floor next to my steel and lumber rack, kind of a pain.
Today I needed 16 weights to secure the legs on 10x10ft canopies for an outdoor church function. That made it the perfect time for me to show how I store my various chains:
20230625_111920.jpg
20230625_111925.jpg
20230625_111933.jpg
White vinegar jugs are my favorite. They are fairly strong and hold up better than something like a milk jug. If I'm on the ball, I hang the hooks over the edge of the jug, so I know at a glance what chain or chains are in the jug. It works for me. O

wll as explained earlier 1/3 of AVERAGE breaking strength, for steel and metal rigging.
Fiberous rigging is something like 1/10 of breaking strength, hence truth in advertising

Electric winches and their ratings are largely to be taken with a grain of salt, and max pull is with the first layer, and it rapidly decreases from there, to sometimes less then 1/2 of rated strength.

Now I have used 5/16 grade 70 chains to lift some insane loads but its not something I would recomend (6500# rating lifting 14000# with just the one chain on a spread... chain is still in good shape, no elongation or broken links, that said as i stated earlier I've snapped similar "rated" chains pulling far less weight so... be careful?)

Expensive. $5.44/foot (no hooks), vs. Amazon at $2.50/foot. And Amazon is free shipping

Harbor Freight.
https://www.harborfreight.com/mater...in-x-20-ft-grade-70-truckers-chain-60667.html
Oddly enough, they don't list a 3/8ths chain in G-70. :dizzy:

https://www.harborfreight.com/mater...in-x-20-ft-grade-70-truckers-chain-63236.html
Some of their stuff is good; I've not broken any of the chains yet. That yellow-chromate finish doesn't last long, that's for sure.
Some of their stuff is pure junk, too.

Latest posts

Back