Lookin' for a new saw...want suggestions (try 2)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcbride

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
OK now, you guys are real confusing. I read one thread and then I read another and it seems like I get different answers every time. So let me spell it out...

I ONLY want to spend ~$450. I want the best saw for my money. I would like to buy a new saw or one that is close to it. I don't want to skimp on power, quality, durability or anything else. I like to buy quality stuff that will last long and do a good job. I want a good general purpose saw/firewood saw. One that can handle all the "average" stuff. I'd bet that most of my jobs will be small, but I would like to have something that could handle a larger job if need be. I would like to run a 20" bar w/ ease. If i had enough money i would buy a husky 357xp but i dont...My previous post has left me thinking very strongly about the Dolmar 5100; especially for the afforadibility. No doubt that it will be a just fine for me for now...but I would like to have a saw that could do some of the larger stuff too. What do ya'll suggest? Any suggestions on where to buy? I love good deals! I don't think any local shops around here can compete with any thing I can find on the internet...not much of an industry down here for it...

Anyways, let's let er rip...again...

-D

I ONLY want to spend ~$450. I want the best saw for my money. I would like to buy a new saw or one that is close to it. I don't want to skimp on power, quality, durability or anything else. I like to buy quality stuff that will last long and do a good job.

-D

Well, for that money, and all the qualities you want, you cant really get a saw that will do the bigger sutff, unless you buy used. A 357 wont even really do the bigger stuff very well, it would be good with a 20" bar, but nothing really bigger. I guess that depends on what you call big stuff. I think of big stuff 40" dia. Small to me is 24" or less. A 5100 is most common with a 18" bar. A 372xp would suit you well, but thats out of your budget. I would just get what you can afford now, and save up for a bigger saw in the future.

If your price is firm and your needs are firm I say a used Stihl MS361/MS440/MS460, Husqvarna 357/372, Jonesered 2171, or a Dolmar 7900.

If your price is firm and your needs are flexible (ie give up on cutting the bigger stuff) then I'd say a new Dolmar 5100 is in your future.

Good luck. :cheers:

There was a dealer in Oklahoma selling Efco 962's on E-bay for like $399. Thats a real good deal for a real good saw. That 962 wood run a 24'' bar with full skip OK when you needed to. Thats about the biggest and best deal you could get for that kind of money.

You might want to look at used.

D,
I'm one of small number of us here LOVE Echo chainsaws, and believe they offer both an excellent value as well as a very reliable, good saw. Echo makes a CS-520 that is a 50cc (3.06ci.) saw that would be a very good all around saw. It is probably a bit heavier and slightly less power than an equivalent sized stihl or husky, but for almost all but the full-time saw user don't care. I believe Echo gave up the utmost power and lightness for reliability. They keep running and almost always start. Regular consumers get a 5 year warranty.
One is on ebay at $399.99 and says new in box.
How does it compare to the Dolmar 5100? Can't tell you. I can tell you the used 6400 I bought from the HD rental has only worked a total of 4 weeks out of 6 months since it was bought, and that includes 3 months with a new carb in it. This puts my Dolmar on my POS list right up there with a Wild Thing.
Rich s.

What Erick said!

If your price is firm and your needs are firm I say a used Stihl MS361/MS440/MS460, Husqvarna 357/372, Jonesered 2171, or a Dolmar 7900.

If your price is firm and your needs are flexible (ie give up on cutting the bigger stuff) then I'd say a new Dolmar 5100 is in your future.

Good luck. :cheers:

A straight forward,non biased post. Well said.:clap:

I think the 390 sounds perfect for ya, I think you can get one for 450 still, maybe less. It has a lot of power for the money, can handle up to 24"bar. Very reliable, durable saw. I dont know much about the 510 but the stihl 390 will have a lot more grunt.

Back