Looking For A Home Owners Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironpig70

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i had a mccullogh but the starter went to hell and well it made me:angry: and it took a flying lesson. figure if the saw is dead then the wife would let me buy another one:rock: i'd like to go with a husky seeing how my other saw is a 395 w/ a 34" bar(for the big stuff). don't know much about saw and came across my other saw cause i needed a big one and the price was right. neighbor has a husky 142 and i've used it 2-3 times and like it but was wondering what the consenuos is.

Send the 395 my way, and I will send you a brand new Poulan Wild Thing! Sounds to be just what you are looking for!

Don't know much about the 142, but it is 40cc and I would guess it has a plastic crank case. For me, if it isn't magnesium, I don't want it!

What is your budget? I can not give you an opinion on the 142. I usually take at least a step or two up from the cheapest product made by any company. I will tell you that the local airport just sold several 142's at auction. I assume that that is what they continue to run. If I were looking to keep the cost down and buy a saw that is still considered a homeowner, I would look at the 350. Many people like it on this site. I do not know the price difference.

If your budget will allow, consider the Dolmar 5100. It would make a nice companion to your bigger saw.

Jim

i'd like to only spend a 200-250 on a saw. i just bought the 395, new boots, chaps and spent $$$$ for a pro to fall said trees. i'd like to spend more but this is realistically all i can afford.

Best saws in that price range. RedMax 3800, Dolmar PS-401, and the Stihl MS-210. The Husky 142 has great power but it's too close to it's cousin the Poulan Wild Thingy.

Uwharrie said:
.... The Husky 142 has great power but it's too close to it's cousin the Poulan Wild Thingy.
The 142s in the US are seriously downrated in power vs. the earlier 141s (not here).
These saws are said to be assambled by Poulan, but they are also said to be designed in Sweden. Some parts are also made in Sweden, I believe.
The pistons are chromed, as opposed to regular POS Poulans.

They are not just rebadged Poulans, but I would at least step up to the 345, preferably to the 350 anyway.....

The cheapest pro quality around is probably the 353.

IF YOU ARE NOT BENT ON HUSKY I WOULD GET A STIHL 250. I OWN ONE AND I LOVE IT. IT IS HOMEOWNER GRADE BUT IT IS BUILT REALLY WELL AND REALLY SCREAMS. NEW THE SAW COSTS $250, IT'S LIGHT AND COMFORTABLE TO USE AND CUTS GREAT, AND MINE HAS TAKEN A LOT OF ABUSE BUT JUST KEEPS ON CUTTIN'.:cheers:

I m o, the Husky 345 and particularely the 350 are much better saws than the Stihl 250.

I have used and done some maintenance on 2xMS250c.

The plastic factor is overwhelming, and I simply don't like them.

Bad anti-vibe and air filtration, and easily outcut by a comparable Husky (admittedly with 95VP chain vs. 25RM).

The Husky 350 are sturdier buildt, have superb anti-vibe and air filtration, and they have the same power rating here (3.1 hp).

Surpriced AJ? :greenchainsaw: :cheers:

SawTroll said:
I m o, the Husky 345 and particularely the 350 are much better saws than the Stihl 250.

I have used and done some maintenance on 2xMS250c.

The plastic factor is overwhelming, and I simply don't like them.

Bad anti-vibe and air filtration, and easily outcut by a comparable Husky (admittedly with 95VP chain vs. 25RM).

The Husky 350 are sturdier buildt, have superb anti-vibe and air filtration, and they have the same power rating here (3.1 hp).

Surpriced AJ? :greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Was that the 350 that outcut the MS250?

Yes, but I believe the 345 also will, at least with a 95VP/H30 vs. 25RM, as it is only .1 hp less.

I also read a (US I believe) test report some time ago, that said both the 345 and the Jred 2145 outcut the 250, but it didn't say with what kind of chain.....

Last edited:
Way too much plastic on the MS250 for me.

I say go for a husky 340, 345 or 350. Go for the 350 if budget allows but the 340 and 345 both are better than the MS250.

I should add that the 3xx series from husky still has a lot of plastic but for some reason the husky plastic seems to hold up better for me than the plastic on the low end stihls.

There offerings from echo, jonsered, and dolmar are also good candidates. Especially the echo if you want to save some bucks.

Personally, I like saws to match color. I tend to switch my line up about every 6 months though... lol.

I purchased a 353 Husqvarna for a homeowner/ranch saw.

Im pretending its got a little more rip than a 50, while staying in the same basic weight/size bracket.

Not real sure how they stack up in the real world...

IchWarriorMkII said:
I purchased a 353 Husqvarna for a homeowner/ranch saw.

Im pretending its got a little more rip than a 50, while staying in the same basic weight/size bracket.

Not real sure how they stack up in the real world...

Same saw - the 350 and 353. The only difference is the 353 has a magnesium crankcase. Of the two, you bought the right one...even if you did pay a few bucks more.

SawTroll said:
Yes, but I believe the 345 also will, at least with a 95VP/H30 vs. 25RM, as it is only .1 hp less.

I also read a (US I believe) test report some time ago, that said both the 345 and the Jred 2145 outcut the 250, but it didn't say with what kind of chain.....

OK, the 350 has 15% more cc??? I'd expect it to outcut a 45cc saw, with pretty much whatever chain was onboard.

Why were you working on the MS250's...was it a plastic failure?

The 353 is not considered a Homeowner/farm saw
It has a full Magnesium Crankcase just like any other pro saw (not like a 455 Rancher or Husky 350)Which has a Heavy plastic crankcase. The 353 compares to the MS290 In class and proformance. www.*****.com sold the 353 with this comparision but does not carry the 353 and now compares the 350 to the MS290 which I think compares more with the MS280 but the 353 is still built as a pro saw! JMHO

http://international.husqvarna.com/?url=/node2158.asp?pid=135&cid=51&frames=false

Husqvarna 353 is among our new generation of professional saws with the latest technological development. Its high-power, low weight, slim body and high centre of gravity make it both powerful and easy to use. The wide power band makes this saw exceptionally versatile. Smart Start for very easy starting.
Air Injection
Centrifugal air cleaning system for reduced wear and longer operating time between filter cleanings. Smart Start
The engine and starter have been designed so the machine starts quickly with minimum effort. Resistance in the starter cord is reduced by up to 40%.
Three-piece crankshaft
Forged three-piece crankshaft for maximum durability for the toughest applications. Magnesium crankcase
Sturdily built crankcase withstands high rpms and tough professional use, ensuring a long service life.
LowVib
Effective anti-vibration dampeners absorb vibration, sparing the user's arms and hands. Adjustable oil pump
Adjustable oil pump makes it easy to set the chain lubrication according to your needs.

Mike E.

Last edited:
WRW said:
OK, the 350 has 15% more cc??? I'd expect it to outcut a 45cc saw, with pretty much whatever chain was onboard.

Why were you working on the MS250's...was it a plastic failure?
No it wasn't - what I said was that I did maintenance on them - not repairs.

Anyway, retoocs555 is right that the plastic on the cheaper Stihls feel mote plasticy/cheaper than on the comparable Huskys.

The MS250 and the 350 are rated at the same power here, the 345 .1hp less, so I feel the comparison was fair. The 250 and the 350 also cost pretty much the same here.

Four Paws said:
Same saw - the 350 and 353. The only difference is the 353 has a magnesium crankcase. Of the two, you bought the right one...even if you did pay a few bucks more.
So do I, and there is one more difference - the 353 has a quick release top cover, and the 350 not.
I also believe that a 353 is easier to rebuild than the 350, in case something happens to the engine.

Only the later EPA 350s have the 51.8 cc engine, and have never seen that version here. The regular 350s have a 49.4 cc engine, with the same power output. :cheers:

Yes, but also the way that it (the plastic) is put together. It just leaves an el cheepo feeling, especially on the cluch side of the saws - even my Poulan made Partner 351 (34 cc) leaves a better impression there.
:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

But the main issue is the air filtration and the vibes - the other issues are more or less subjective.

Latest posts

Back