Looking for a new "lighter" chain saw - help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frostbite

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is my first post on this forum. I have been lurking for a while and I have learned quite a bit. Now I would like to ask you for your recommendation on what my next saw should be.

I have an Husqvarna Rancher 61 that I bought new in 1983 that still runs like a top but has a few small bothersome issues (fuel and oil leaks) and after 25 years of use the small plastic square nut that hold the chain adjuster bolt broke and I lost my chain adjuster (the parts are on order). I still plan to use the old girl but, the bottom line is; I am itching for a new "lighter" saw.

At first I was looking at roughly today's equivalents to my existing saw. Focusing sharply on the Stihl MS361 and the Husky 357XP and to a lesser degree the Husky 359 and Stihl MS390.

Today I went and hefted the above saws at a couple of local dealers and immediately found I sure like the size and weight of the Stihl MS260 and Husky 346XP much than their slightly larger brothers.

Now, In my mind what I am really looking for this time around in a saw is a "Ginsu knife with a motor". No having run either saw, I have to wonder if these two little powerhouses have the power for all around duties?

I need a 20" bar on the saw for felling some larger (predominantly pine and fir) trees but< I'll mainly be cutting fire wood, clearing trails, dropping problem trees, etc.

What do you guys think? I know I'd like a Husky, Jonsered or Stihl. I know I want the best power for the weight (that's why I am focusing mostly on Pro saws) because I'm not getting any younger and I'm fairly inactive physically at work for the most part.

Right now in my mind it seems the Husky 346XP seems to be the saw that meets more of my needs than any other. I'm not opposed to spending a little extra money to buy the best because I seem to only buy a new saw every 25 years :laugh: and I want it to last.

I found today that it's a bit cheaper (at least locally and on E bay) than the Stihl MS260 Pro and even the MS260. It's a bit heavier than the MS260 (11.0lbs vs. 10.6lbs) but it also makes more power than the MS260 (3.7bhp vs. 3.2bhp).

Any advice you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Frosty
:newbie:

Welcome to the site. Cool you have that saw after so long. I have owned its pro cousins before (266XP). The Husky is the "Ginsu" knife, I have ran many saws over the years and the Husky XP saws are the rev monsters, they are like-right now, where the Stihls take longer to wind up. I believe the 346 is akin to the 254XP that was around back in the day you bought that 61.

The new saws by both Husky and Stihl weigh less, have more power, but they will not last as long as the 200 series Huskies. I know from using them.

If you decide you need something bigger, get a 357XP or a 361, I have ran both, they are ok.

Do you really need a 20" bar, though? Because a 346 runs better with smaller bar, like 18'.

Thanks for the advice guys. I plan to do some more chainsaw hunting today. I see from the Husky site that the chain speed on the 346XP is slower than it is on both the 357XP and the 359 (60.7 fts vs. 70.21 fts). It must be the gearing?

I also see that the 346XP is louder than the other two saws (106db(A) vs. 101 db(A). If I remember correctly the DB (decibel) scale is similar to the Richter scale in that every three decibel increase is actually twice as loud (so 103db would be twice as loud as 100 dbs).

The vibrations of the 346XP look to be lower than the 357xp and the 359 saws though(2.4 m/s vs. 3.9ms). Maybe because it's spinning so many RPMs?

The 359 Husky seems like the best bang for the buck in that it's nearly a "pro" saw for a much lower price. It's the same weight as the 357XP but with .5 bhp less power (4.4bhp vs. 3.9bhp). So what's wrong with this saw? Are the bearing cases plastic?

The sad thing is the 359 has only .2bhp more horsepower than the 346XP with a pound more weight.

Also, what are differences between the MS260 and the MS260 PRO? I can't seem to be able to find anything that shows any differences between the two saws.

What is the Jonsered eqivalent saw to the Husky 346XP?

Thanks again for the advice.

Frosty

Last edited:
Had to check it out, good review.

attachment.php

Frostbite, if you need to run a 20" bar, you need at least a 361. But the true "Ginzu Knife" saw is the MS200. Extremely powerful for its weight. You WILL NOT get tired using it, so do most things with the MS200 with a 14" bar, then use a 361 or 044/440 for larger cutting when needed. The rear handle 200 is just incredible, tho yes I know it is small. It eats like crazy up to 8" wood, which is most of most trees, except for the main trunks.

How about a 346xp with 16" bar as the main one, and a 20" for backup when really needed?

I believe it will do pretty well with the 20" in a pinch, provided you use a .325x7 setup.

Another saw to consider is the Dolmar 5100S, as it is much simpler to change the "gearing" (rim) on that one, for different applications (inboard clutch = outboard, easy to access, rim).

If money isn't a big issue, sounds like a ported 346 might just suit your needs... Have a gander at the video on the "346xp is king" thread.

Edit... it was buried a little deeper than I thought... here's the link

Ian

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. I plan to do some more chainsaw hunting today. I see from the Husky site that the chain speed on the 346XP is slower than it is on both the 357XP and the 359 (60.7 fts vs. 70.21 fts). It must be the gearing?

It is, and anyway just a theoretic number, based on max hp rpms, and the gearing of their choise.

I also see that the 346XP is louder than the other two saws (106db(A) vs. 101 db(A). If I remember correctly the DB (decibel) scale is similar to the Richter scale in that every three decibel increase is actually twice as loud (so 103db would be twice as loud as 100 dbs).

The vibrations of the 346XP look to be lower than the 357xp and the 359 saws though(2.4 m/s vs. 3.9ms). Maybe because it's spinning so many RPMs?

The 359 Husky seems like the best bang for the buck in that it's nearly a "pro" saw for a much lower price. It's the same weight as the 357XP but with .5 bhp less power (4.4bhp vs. 3.9bhp). So what's wrong with this saw? Are the bearing cases plastic?

Just a less efficient engine, nothing else - as with the 353 vs. 346xp.

The sad thing is the 359 has only .2bhp more horsepower than the 346XP with a pound more weight.

The real weight differense is closer to two pounds than to one - Husky lie big-time on the weight of the 357xp and 359 - they are a bit heavier than the MS361......

Also, what are differences between the MS260 and the MS260 PRO? I can't seem to be able to find anything that shows any differences between the two saws.

Decomp valve and adjustable oiler.

What is the Jonsered eqivalent saw to the Husky 346XP?

Thanks again for the advice.

Frosty

I vrote my answers into your text.

Last edited:
You guys are great!

How about if I use my old Husky Rancher 61 (61cc) with its 20" bar for felling and buy a 18" 346XP or a MS260 for limbing?

Is it worth it for a guy like me to pay the extra cost for the MS260 PRO over the MS260?

Heck, for all I know the new 50cc saws are probably more powerful than my old 61cc saw? I must say my old saw has never run out of power. It cuts like mad but, I don't have anything to compare it to, yet.

A ported 346XP, you bet once the break in is complete.

What's this "muffler mod" I saw mentioned in someone's post a while back/ Should I do it on my Vintage Saw Rancher 61?

Thanks again.

Frosty

.... Is it worth it for a guy like me to pay the extra cost for the MS260 PRO over the MS260? ....

It is, mainly because the non-pro will oil at idle as well as in the cut, but just forget it anyway - the NE346xp is a much better option.

Over here it cost a lot more than the 260 Pro (about 40%, when on "campaign"), but it still is the obvious choise in the 50cc class - my Husky dealer have problems matching the demand.........

Latest posts

Back