looking for a smaller in the 45 CC class

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vlad.alucard

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i already have a stihl ms290 with a 20 in bar for doing alot of my major firewood cutting but im looking for a smaller saw with a bit lighter weight that i can use when not dealing with bigger jobs. i was thinking about the Husqvarna Model 445, Echo CS-450, or the Makita DCS460, and i know the stihl fans will say the stihl MS 250 so I'll throw that one up there as well. they are all in the same CC class or close to it but i was just wondering what everyone else thinks, any info is appreciated thanks.

In the price range you indicate, you should consider at the Dolmar 420/421 - or just replace the 290 with a 346xp, to cover both needs. :msp_wink:

:agree2: Just what SawTroll said, look at the Dolmar PS420 or PS421 instead of the 460... nicer saw.

If you're looking at the 460 you may as well go straight to the 510 for the few $$$ more, but then you're close to your 290.

Lots of guys are happy with the Echo CS450P, though the Dolmar is around the same money and better built.

My pick would be the MS250.

I have a 345 which is the same as the 445 I'm pretty sure and I like it a lot, but for what I do, I clean it a whole lot and don't care for the air filter or clutch (would like an inboard clutch). Both are light and have good power for limbing or falling etc... My 345 is a beast that has taken some serious abuse. The 345 has the screws to get at the air filter but I don't really care for Husq.'s quick release catches either (like on the xp saws). I really love the stihl screw on type like the 660. The gas and oil caps are a pain too since I'm a chronic over-tightener of things and always end up bending twigs in half to get enough leverage to open them back up. My back went out throwing wheel drums from a belly dump trailer into a loader bucket, so now if I bend over too low for too long it gets me hard and I take a while to straighten back up, so the light weight is a big factor for me and the power is certainly adequate for most everything with sharp chain (If I bury the 16" bar it keeps eating away so long as I don't force it). More cc's will buy you time and a back ache, but the little saw will get it just as done.

The MS 250 will be my next saw for those reasons and probably a few more I'm forgetting. Don't get me wrong, I liked my '04 346xp, but it just didn't do that much more or better than my 345 to make it worth the extra cost ($300 vs. $475). For the same cost ($299) the 250 is not just a stihl, it's a steal.

MS 250 Chain Saw - High Performance Compact Chainsaw | STIHL USA

My pick would be the MS250.

I have a 345 which is the same as the 445 I'm pretty sure and I like it a lot, but for what I do, I clean it a whole lot and don't care for the air filter or clutch (would like an inboard clutch). Both are light and have good power for limbing or falling etc... My 345 is a beast that has taken some serious abuse. The 345 has the screws to get at the air filter but I don't really care for Husq.'s quick release catches either (like on the xp saws). I really love the stihl screw on type like the 660. The gas and oil caps are a pain too since I'm a chronic over-tightener of things and always end up bending twigs in half to get enough leverage to open them back up. My back went out throwing wheel drums from a belly dump trailer into a loader bucket, so now if I bend over too low for too long it gets me hard and I take a while to straighten back up, so the light weight is a big factor for me and the power is certainly adequate for most everything with sharp chain (If I bury the 16" bar it keeps eating away so long as I don't force it). More cc's will buy you time and a back ache, but the little saw will get it just as done.

The MS 250 will be my next saw for those reasons and probably a few more I'm forgetting. Don't get me wrong, I liked my '04 346xp, but it just didn't do that much more or better than my 345 to make it worth the extra cost ($300 vs. $475). For the same cost ($299) the 250 is not just a stihl, it's a steal.

MS 250 Chain Saw - High Performance Compact Chainsaw | STIHL USA

You surely sound a bit "upside down" - the 345 is a much nicer saw than the MS250 in most ways - the most obvious being the air filtration and the AV. The MS250 also has trouble written all over it, ime - and is a POS compared to the 345.

The quick releases on the more expensive Huskys are great, definately nothing to complain about!

Inboard clutches are just stupid on saws that small, as they tend to ruin the balance and handling of the saws.

I am not a big fan of the 445 though, as it is too much heavier than the 345 that it replaced,. with less power (it is very different, not just a development).

the ms250 is an under powered overweight brick. stihl should have scrapped it 10 years ago.
looking for 45cc saw, either get a 40cc or a 50cc. there isn't anything in anybodies line up that merrits a 45cc saw in either direction.
with that said, go out to some shops and have a look. pick one up, handle it and see if the shop will let you run one. then, buy the one you like.
asking for this advice on a forum will net you nothing but a pissing match between the fan boys of one brand and the cry babies of the other.

Find a good used 024. They're usually $125-$200 and a pro saw. Plus many 026/260 parts will fit it, especially if its a 024 super. My stock 024 outcut a MM ms250 and the 024 had more top end, was smoother, oh and the AV buffers stayed in it compared to the ms250. Don't get me wrong, If you have to have new and it has to be a Stihl then the ms250 isn't a bad deal. But for the same price the Dolmar 420 is better constructed.

The cs-500 echo is the outlier and the saw I'm eye balling. It's lighter than both it's small brother the cs450 and it's bigger brother the cs550. It's real close to the same weight and feel of my cs400 saw with oddles of more power.

I've muffler modded as cs330t, a cs 400, a cs600p and a husky 359. The ECHO saws picked up the most power, and they love simple MM mods.

Get the cs 500 because it's as small as a 40cc saw weight and handling wise, and carries some poop when you let it breath. The price seals the deal.

ECHO Chain Saws Comparison | ECHO USA

I have a MS 250 and every time I go and cut it's with me

I haven't had any problems it's a light weight limbing saw

It gets just about the same time as my bucking saw (usually at the same time)

If you MM it and change the chain that comes with you'll be a happy camper for a three hunderd dollar bill :)

DSC_4885.jpg

Pick up a used 346xp oe for $200 and MM it . It'll crush your 290 , and weighs like 11 1/2 lbs. with fuel and oil .

The cs-500 echo is the outlier and the saw I'm eye balling. It's lighter than both it's small brother the cs450 and it's bigger brother the cs550. It's real close to the same weight and feel of my cs400 saw with oddles of more power.

I've muffler modded as cs330t, a cs 400, a cs600p and a husky 359. The ECHO saws picked up the most power, and they love simple MM mods.

Get the cs 500 because it's as small as a 40cc saw weight and handling wise, and carries some poop when you let it breath. The price seals the deal.

ECHO Chain Saws Comparison | ECHO USA

I don't think he said that he wants a POS saw from a badly conducting brand - but I may have missed that part.....:taped:

The cs 450 was in his short list. The cs500 is a lighter saw with more power.

My echo cs600p gave my Husky 359 a run for its $. Both were muffler modded. The build quality is right there, and it's a couple hundred cheaper. I don't know that HP specs from the mnfg mean to much when comparing them brand to brand.

The 026 ~ MS260 weighs 10.5 lbs the 025 ~ MS250 is 10.1 lbs (power head without fluids), I have both saws and these are real weights, not much difference in weight for the pro grade saw.

The cs 450 was in his short list. The cs500 is a lighter saw with more power.

My echo cs600p gave my Husky 359 a run for its $. Both were muffler modded. The build quality is right there, and it's a couple hundred cheaper. I don't know that HP specs from the mnfg mean to much when comparing them brand to brand.

The 359 is an intentially detuned saw, to hit a lower price point without eating into 357xp sales too much - so not a good object to compare to.

The 359 is an intentially detuned saw, to hit a lower price point without eating into 357xp sales too much - so not a good object to compare to.

It's a great comparison when taking price points into account. The de-tuned Husky 359 is still more expensive than the Echo 600p, and they both run about the same. The quality is there in both saws. I was kinda disappointed to see the Echo fair as well to my more expensive Husky. It turned my eyes on towards the Echo brand.

It's obvious Echo personally hurt you when you can't stay objective when ever the 4 letter word comes up, yet you have so much saw knowledge for us rookies to learn from, do tell.

Latest posts

Back