Looking for new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking for a new saw in the 50cc range. Have a pile of wood to cut up no bigger than 18". I own other large saws up to the Stihl 880. Getting to old to be handling a big saw to cut through the small stuff. I have multiple brands from Husky Stihl Dolmar and Makita. I just don't have a middle of the road saw. On the small side I have a Stihl 025 and Husky 350 but was looking for something newer. I like my 038 but its has a little weight to it when using it all day. Have a little extra cash and its burning a hole in my pocket, lol. Been looking at a Stihl 261 or the Husky 550. They seem to be close to the same specs and around same price from what I have read. Does anyone have any experience with these two saws? Pros Cons for comparing these two? Like to get one in the next week or two. Thanks for any information..
545 or 550xp. :chainsaw:

I've owned everything from a AMC to a GMC.....and loved some from every manufacturer.

I'm the same way with the saws. I love me some 2 series Huskys. The 346XP may never be dethroned as the meanest 50cc saw in the world......at least out of all the saws I've fondled.

The Stihl M-Tronic saws.......well they just work well with the mods I do. I like em.......a lot.

The Dolmar 7900.......well.......I can build one of those that will put all the big saws under the bench.

There are so many great saws out there from all companies. How can we say any one is flat out "better".

Did I ever tell you guys how bad ass I can make an Echo CS600P?????? Well, did I?

Funny how my 044 is over 20 yrs old and Husky still does not produce a 372 that will beat it.

And why don't U go to the store & measure a 362 and a 562, and tell us what U learn?

That said, I think both companies make great saws, but your arrogance and ignorance is just over the top.

Just for the sake of conversation mike , its not and wasnt about the length and width of the saw ..thats not really what decides how a saw handles..but since you like measurements..measure how tall a 362 is at the handlebar and then measure a 2260.

My father drag raced for 20 years. Always Chevy's and I remember he had a '62 or '63 Chevy II. Originally it had a straight 6 but he swapped it out to a 327.

I've still got a set of 283 Powerpack heads, with 350 valves, and screw in studs installed. I also got a set of double hump heads. They've had a three angle valve job, magnafluxed, and surfaced.......and just slid under the bench.

Ryan, I believe he said they were "fat", not short, but Happy New Year to you, hope U are doing well.

And I know about the handling and the inboard/outboard clutch thing, and I just prefer the inboard, but that does not make it better, just my preference.

When I bought my 427 Ford (66 Holman & Moody, side oiler, cross bolted) short block, the guy also wanted to sell me a set of Tunnel Port Heads. Would have been a great investment, but he sold me the short block for $300 and wanted $1,500 for the heads, so they were out of my reach!

At Randy's request:

Westy: 1) How old R U?

2) What nationality R U that U are so proud of?

Doesn't matter how old one is. Dull and stupid can't be fixed regardless of your age :) I'm young but have been playing with chainsaws a lot longer then a lot of the old farts here. I'm my own nationality. Not proud of it, I just don't care.

I'm a 50 year old, 8th grade educated hick, born in the hills of TN.

Wanna fight about it? :****you:

That's my point randy. You can have an 8th grade hick who is just plain smarter then a well educated smug. One can be smart at many thing but if he lacks the most important things he will just be a dumb ass. This is why I hate to see middle age guys think they know it all because of experience and tell the kids they got a lot to learn. Some people can do something for 2 years and master it but some people can the same things for 30 and still be a dumb ass. Get it. In my experience it's hardest to explain this to a middle age guy mostly cause he don't wanna hear that he may potentially be a dumb ass. My uncle Marco is one of them and yes, he is a dumb ass. Not saying all middle age guys are dumb asses by any means. Just when you start thinking like I do, it's very easy to pick them out. I don't have a problem with you mike. You just got suckered into a battle you won't be able to win. Should we carry on?

I can talk hot rods and chainsaws with all my buddies around here. By the end of the day its either saws being pulled out and put in a log to settle things or the back roads getting some pimp juice glued down and cars lined up. Only way to settle it. Oh trucks are welcome also.

Randy, I'm sure U R correct "From a strength viewpoint......the outboard clutch is the stronger design."

However, it sort of reminds me when I was in the process of buying a new crank set for my bike that was 20% stiffer than the one I had. Another rider told me it would only make a difference if U have the strength to flex it in the first place. He was absolutely right, I spent a lot of time and money upgrading the crank, and never noticed an iota of difference.

For a pro sprinter who can take his bike up to 40+ MPH in an instant at the end of a 125 mi ride, I'm sure it is a different story, but most of us mere mortals can't do anything like that.

mike, are you ok? what's with the school girl text slang UR? i remember my 8th grade girlfriend did that and it was real annoying. only abbreviations here mike. "I have a potty mouth" and don't let it happen again. i'm really curious though mike. i don't think you gave a definite answer to the german thing. are you german? i'm ukranian so no bias due to nationality here.

Back