Mailing multiple saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juttree

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My friend in Florida is sending me eleven parts saws (66's, 044's, 064, 200,s). It's gonna be a heavy box if he uses only one. So that's the question I have for you. Should he box it in one big box or use a couple? Does USPS have a weight limit? He'll be mailing to Ct.

USPS, has a 50# limit, as of 01/03/14. The pallet ship drop, or pick-up @ Fedex, or UPS, would be better deals. The less they have to handle the better. Hope this helps.

Just bought a large parts lot shipped in two boxes. here's info from seller.

It took two huge boxes . I sent them UPS because of their size 62.80 pounds.
The actual shipping was 83.36 .

I have found fedex to be cheaper most of the time. You could just schedule a vacation to Florida and pick them up. Who would pass up little warm weather and getting a trunk load of saws.lol!

I have found fedex to be cheaper most of the time. You could just schedule a vacation to Florida and pick them up. Who would pass up little warm weather and getting a trunk load of saws.lol!
I sure wish I could. This year my wife graduates from nursing school so vacations are in the horizon.

I shipped a cello via Greyhound once and it worked out ok. I think that being parts saws, if they don't have bars, you're probably looking at a bit over 100 lbs. So two boxes are probably the best way. Not really enough to warrant a pallet.

He mailed out two boxes and told me that they have a 70# limit. One box has five of the bigger saws in it and he said he just made the weight limit. Not sure of the cost, I didn't ask. I just sent enough money to make sure I covered it (at least I hope I did).

If you are shipping ups or usps, weigh the box and buy and print shipping label at home. Saves you a decent amount of coin.
I never even knew you could do that, AND it saves money! Sounds like a smart way to do it.
I just got the first box which has the smaller saws in it. It was 41# and cost $56.

As of Jan 2016 (last month) USPS stopped giving discounts if you do the labels yourself (called "Click-and-Ship"). I just mentioned this on another thread regarding int'l shipping, but the same applies for domestic. (look under thread "Buying saws from abroad")

But I found a place you can go through to still get those discounted rates https://vipparcel.com/ I haven't used them yet but it seems pretty easy compared to other places I checked that do similar services (other sites have app downloads and service fees). With this you pay/print through their site with the discount rate (they take Paypal), with no registration or service fees. (I think they make their money by taking a 20% discount or something they get from USPS as a bulk sender and giving you a 18% discount or something instead. But the point is, they can get a discount as a bulk sender which regular people can't, so letting them keep some of the discount is fine by me)

Back