Makita taking over Dolmar brand in the USA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edge & Engine

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
Just got the news this morning that Makita USA will be assuming control of Dolmar Power Products, distribution, parts and warranty. While it's unclear at this time what will happen to the Dolmar brand name, the wording sounds rather ominous. Makita will be "merging" the Dolmar product line with Makita's in 2016. That's all the info I have so far, stay tuned?

I talked to my local dealer and he said that something was going to happen to Dolmar but would not tell me what? He did say he was not happy about it!? I ask about the Makita line and he said he was not interested in selling them if they did change due to the fact they don't sell as good as the Dolmars?? I personally hope Dolmar stays here!!

easy keith... LOL...

This may help or hurt depending on how distribution goes and dealers are supported. It will be better if it improves parts distribution and availability. I don't really want to see makita's on HD shelves next to the WT's though.

easy keith... LOL...

This may help or hurt depending on how distribution goes and dealers are supported. It will be better if it improves parts distribution and availability.

I dont know any more than what is already posted but i wont shed a single tear about power distributors loosing dolmar. It cant get any worse than it is right now.

Anything is speculation at this point, but given Makita's current position with major retailers "box stores", I'm guessing that's the direction they're headed. And frankly I will be surprised if the Dolmar name (USA market) survives this one.

The current IDN distribution is actually better than it was a several years ago, but their programs are not great to say the least.

I dont know any more than what is already posted but i wont shed a single tear about power distributors loosing dolmar. It cant get any worse than it is right now.

Totally agree. Dolmar does not know how to treat their Dealers or run a parts distribution company. Solid product however.

I don't know who I think is worse.... my Dolmar dealer is a good guy but he doesn't know much because it was a new line to him and he is sort of "checked out" of chainsaws...... The local Makita service people do their job and that is about the extent of it. Not a friendly place to do business with....

If Makita wants to make it in the big world of chainsaws, they better get into the Big box stores with their pro-series saws where other Makita tools are sold for brand recognition.

This will be bad news for echo I think.... especially if Makita doesn't screw up all of the good Dolmar designs of their chainsaws

I don't know who I think is worse.... my Dolmar dealer is a good guy but he doesn't know much because it was a new line to him and he is sort of "checked out" of chainsaws...... The local Makita service people do their job and that is about the extent of it. Not a friendly place to do business with....

If Makita wants to make it in the big world of chainsaws, they better get into the Big box stores with their pro-series saws where other Makita tools are sold for brand recognition.

This will be bad news for echo I think.... especially if Makita doesn't screw up all of the good Dolmar designs of their chainsaws
That will be the downfall of them. I hope they stick with their current dealer model and just start getting rid of the small dealers that don't care while adding dealers that are going to push the brand. National advertising would do wonders for increasing sales in my opinion. Dolmar has a great history if they would just advertise it

That will be the downfall of them. I hope they stick with their current dealer model and just start getting rid of the small dealers that don't care while adding dealers that are going to push the brand. National advertising would do wonders for increasing sales in my opinion. Dolmar has a great history if they would just advertise it

With you being a dealer I certainly can respect your position on it.

It is a shame that their isn't enough brand recognition vs. the cream sickle boys.

Stihl makes some great products, but what they really do well is advertise everywhere. Here in Denver, even ignorant homeowners think that their isn't another good brand besides Stihl. Period. They think husky's are just a cheap plastic saw brand sold at Lowes and they would associate Makita saws the same if they found them there in a big box store.

Dolmar? What is a Dolmar?

Only the pro users know really... And that is a shame.

Stihl is winning because there are umpteen big dealers and service centers with parts for them, and they not only have the cheapie homeowner-level saws for sale at almost all dealers, but also the pro level saws for 3 or 4 times the price, even at my local Ace Hardware.

I had posted this on another thread, but I was saying that I can sell my used/fixed Stihl saws here for 1.5x's the "market" price locally.

I had a nice dolmar ps5100 that I had to sell for cheap here on AS because no one locally wanted to even look at it and didn't know anything about the brand.
Dang nice saws...

Back