Makita taking over Dolmar brand in the USA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Corded and battery powered chainsaws are used by a lot of remodelers and timber framers (they still sling oil though!).

Philbert
Electric chainsaws are great on commercial jobsites for getting rid of crates and pallets. I work on metal roofing crews and when its clean-up time there is literally dumpsters full of old crate would and nonstandard pallets that need to be gotten rid of. That's where electric chainsaws come in handy. I still use one of those old Remington corded Limb and Trims, and I picked up one of those Chinese Homelites a few years back at a flea market that serve me well.

But the advancement of these new Lithium batteries is incredible. If you haven't run the new cordless tools you will be in for a surprise. You can run 100's of screws through the new impacts before recharging. I haven't used the latest Makita power tools but did 2 summers ago. I will say that the Miliwaukie brand is much better though. Both brands have completely eliminated the old 18V Dewalts with the old batteries in the bottom.

I would prefer a saw where I could cross use my batteries. Because batteries used once a year won't get better or last considerly longer. I would prefer to get "my moneys worth" from my equipment. Further you can often get the tools without the batteries much cheaper!
As a single tool I would choose a corded saw. As mentioned above, batteries don't get better with sitting around.

I see you are in Austria. In the U.S. anymore on the big commercial jobs in my area, every contractor has nothing but cordless tools anymore. In fact its rare to even find cords, Temporary electrical outlets cost the companies money to install and maintain. Plus have you seen the price of a big commercial grade 100 ft extension cord lately. That just is laying around getting trampled and run over with lifts and tow motors creating an electrocusion hazard or a potential OSHA fine. Plus if you look at a big contractor and you add up the price it would cost them a year to have guys making $60+ per hour to wind and unwind cords and move them around jobs and store and put away it quickly adds up to the 10's of thousands of dollars.

In fact about all you see plugged in the few outlets on jobs anymore are battery chargers.

I see you are in Austria. In the U.S. anymore on the big commercial jobs in my area, every contractor has nothing but cordless tools anymore. In fact its rare to even find cords, Temporary electrical outlets cost the companies money to install and maintain. Plus have you seen the price of a big commercial grade 100 ft extension cord lately. That just is laying around getting trampled and run over with lifts and tow motors creating an electrocusion hazard or a potential OSHA fine. Plus if you look at a big contractor and you add up the price it would cost them a year to have guys making $60+ per hour to wind and unwind cords and move them around jobs and store and put away it quickly adds up to the 10's of thousands of dollars.

In fact about all you see plugged in the few outlets on jobs anymore are battery chargers.
Here in Austria it is the same situation at commercial jobs. My comment about corded was more in tune about the homeowner.

I did a few print screen pictures from the videos above in post #381

Note the sprocket is similar to some of the vingage 1/4 inch pitch stuff I see on ebay in that every other end is capped.

Is there some cush drive in the parts I picture? Maybe the part I see runs the oil pump.

The bucking spike here is hard to tell if it goes far enough below the bar to be useful for starting cuts on small stuff. A problem with the Husqvarna one.

Is a 1/4 inch sprocket available?makita electric drive sprocket.jpg makita electric bucking spike.jpg

The bucking spikes on these small saws provide little leverage - mostly to keep the saw from slipping, and to protect the case IMO. If you apply much leverage (as is often done to compensate for a dull chain) you will hit the overload, at least on the battery powered saws. Keep the chain sharp and let the saw do the work.

Electric chainsaws are great on commercial jobsites for getting rid of crates and pallets.
I would definitely want the tie strap bumper, low kick-back chain for that application.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back