Makita taking over Dolmar brand in the USA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
f248381831cd8d9851ec1a295e1de88d.jpg

I believe it's 35,2cc instead of 36cc.

Sent from my DMC-CM1 using Tapatalk
Very sharp looking saw!

To my knowledge all USA available Dolmar/Makita chainsaws and power cutters are made in Germany with the exception of the PS-32/EA3201 and the EK7651(4stroke). PS-510 was at one time assembled in china but that hasnt been the case in a long time.

Some of the new models just coming out I havent laid eyes on yet so I dont want to comment and possibly give out information that isnt accurate.

@166
If the 32 is made in China I personally wouldn't have any qualms about quality control. My 32 is put together extremely well.

How is the quick adjust chain adjuster on the saws pictured. I've seen that on many saws and didn't like it on any of them. Seems like the chain would be to loose or to tight.
Works just like on any other chainsaw. What do you mean by quick adjust?

Lähetetty minun Nexus 9 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Works just like on any other chainsaw. What do you mean by quick adjust?

Lähetetty minun Nexus 9 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
I mean that big knob on the clutch cover that looks like a cross between the tuning dial of an early 80's boom box, and a roller skate key.

If it works" just like on any other chainsaw." then that means it works like s#it. Thanks for clarity.

Well, in the pictures above the saws have the traditional system, you loosen the nuts with a wrench and tighten the chain by turning a screw. Makita and Dolmar toolless tightening system is quite good, there is a folding lever that you use to lock the system properly.

By the way, those non removable bar nuts are way better compared to husqy's, that fall off rather easily...

I mean that big knob on the clutch cover that looks like a cross between the tuning dial of an early 80's boom box, and a roller skate key.

I think the confusion regarding your question stems from the fact that the photo links you used showed the saws with traditional bar nuts.
As regards the toolless chain adjuster, I recall at least one member here having one on his Dolmar 3410TH and being quite pleased with it.

To my knowledge all USA available Dolmar/Makita chainsaws and power cutters are made in Germany with the exception of the PS-32/EA3201 and the EK7651(4stroke). PS-510 was at one time assembled in china but that hasnt been the case in a long time.

Some of the new models just coming out I havent laid eyes on yet so I dont want to comment and possibly give out information that isnt accurate.

@166
I was looking at saws on ebay and found this info under the specs. If it's correct it is the 1st time I have heard Makita assembled or mfg. saws in India.
Item specifics
Condition:
New other (see details): A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing the original packaging, ... Read moreabout the condition
Country of Manufacture: India
Model:
DCS5200
Displacement: 52.0 cc
Chain Gauge: 450 mm Engine Power: 3.7 hp
MPN:
Does not apply
BRAND: Makita
Product Type: Chain Saws Weight: 5.1 kg
UPC:
Does not apply

I was looking at saws on ebay and found this info under the specs. If it's correct it is the 1st time I have heard Makita assembled or mfg. saws in India.

I just looked at that listing. The seller and the saw are in India and the guy obviously didn't proof his ad prior to posting. That and his asking price is absurd.
Further on in the ad I found this gem :surprised3: of a description:

Makita DCS5200 Petrol Chain Saw, 52.0 cc

PS: This item runs on 220 V input; you may have to use an adapter to operate for 110 V input.

Here you see the new tool-less chain tightening design, I sure would like to test this new battery saw!
cb30f4fe7b1e6c7993f2df7f6cded530.jpg

I sure would like to test this new battery saw!
In general, I like a conventional, side-access, chain tension adjuster due to the precise control. A few saws I own have the tool-less feature, and they are OK - some work better than others.

As for the dual 18V battery design pictured, I get that: Makita is marketing it toward the millions of users already invested in their 18V contractor's tool line, and it could be a good 'add-on' choice for those folks. As strict O*P*E, I would prefer a single battery.

Philbert

I would prefer a saw where I could cross use my batteries. Because batteries used once a year won't get better or last considerly longer. I would prefer to get "my moneys worth" from my equipment. Further you can often get the tools without the batteries much cheaper!
As a single tool I would choose a corded saw. As mentioned above, batteries don't get better with sitting around.

I would prefer a saw where I could cross use my batteries.
And that is exactly where this saw is targeted. Existing 18V users with occasional landscaping / cutting needs.

If tree work was your primary focus, then increased performance would take precedent over that feature. There are, of course, other battery powered tool threads, but the trends we are seeing is that 36V is the base for this category, with newer tools being offered in the 50, 80, and 120V range (!). Some of this is also being done in contractor tools (see DeWalt's 60V Flex Volt line http://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/shop-by-cordless-platform/60v-120v). We are also seeing larger capacity (e.g. 6.0 Ah) batteries, which are simply too clumsy for many hand-held contractor tools, but still acceptable on O*P*E for acceptable run times.

(P.S. I love my corded saws too!)

Good to have choices!

Philbert

I don't work in construction. Did for a couple of summers, though. Seems like a chainsaw that could be used indoors and took batteries that were already on the jobsite would come in handy at times.

I've not yet had the chance to run any cordless saws, but hopefully that'll change.

Back